LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » inguinal hernia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: inguinal hernia
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 11 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever heard of a hernia causing lyme symptoms?

If I do have another hernia should I finish my lyme treatment first, or get the surgery over with and then go back to treatment?

I had an inguinal hernia op six months prior to getting lyme. I have been wondering is the infection has actually been there this whole time.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Find out first if you do have one. Start there. It will answer many questions and give you detail to move forward.

Seems that these kind of pondering questions come at us on a Friday evening, eh?

Lyme symptoms are lyme symptoms, though. Pain from lyme can make pain for other conditions worse but neither diagnosis is going to be causing the other.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
So as not to exasperate any hernia symptoms:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=035132;p=0

SQUATTY POTTY - why it matters
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Don't assume surgery would be the only approach. It may be, in your particular case IF one is determined. However, there may be other options.

I'd start here, better results on this with a www.BING.com search, first going to the Townsend article:

"visceral manipulation" "inguinal hernia"

Then add "Upledger Institute" -

- actually, finding someone trained in this technique through them would be an excellent idea to help find out what's going on and also for some help in soothing out possible scar tissue.

After searching BING, then you might then go to Google.
-

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. This one isn't in the inguinal area like the last one, at least I don't think.

I don't know the name for this kind, but it is next to my leg. I can feel it push out like a balloon at certain times, and I have had pain there.

It was checked several times and with an ultra sound, but I know even those can fail.

I think it got worse because I have been carrying my son around since last august, which I'm sure isn't helping me heal from lyme and co.

I'm calling Dr. Peterson Monday, my surgeon from NV. I'll let you know.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Don't see how a surgeon, long distance could tell you more than the diagnostics or someone else who could see you in person.

A surgeon may lean toward surgery and not toward other possible approaches but it sounds like you feel he would be able to answer some questions for you and is accessible so it's worth a call.

You have nothing to loose by looking for someone trained in visceral manipulation for an assessment - they can feel things that an ultrasound may not see.

Upledger has many trained through the country and most are covered by insurance. If you find someone from their site near you, you could ask to talk with them by phone about whether they could help with this.

Lyme & other TBD can cause various other issues with overall integrity of blood vessels and body tissues, too.

If there is anyway to NOT pick up and cart around your child right now, that would be good. Gotta let the tissue heal and not keep pulling at it. Not stressing that area is medically urgent.

Good luck.
-

[ 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You've likely seen this site or similar informational sites. Just in case not, some questions are answered here:

http://www.herniasolutions.com/about-hernias

About Hernias

http://www.herniasolutions.com/about-hernias/types-of-hernias

Types of Hernias
-

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links Keebler. I'm only calling him because he

doesn't use mesh. He is one of the few doctors in the country that

avoids putting plastic inside people.

He has a very specific way, designed by him, of cutting the muscles

and moving them around, so I'm not sure any other doc would

really know what they were feeling around for since my surgery.

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Oh, the same place? I had misread and thought when you wrote another possible hernia that it was in a different place (assumption, though).

I can see why you'd want to talk with him if it's in the same place. Of course. And good that he does not use mesh. Good luck.
-

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Talked to my surgeon by phone Keebler. He though the chances of a hernia were minimal.

He said he can feel hernias most doctors can't because he specializes in it. He said the swelling on top of my foot, the three pockets of swelling on my right foot are probably from the

lyme infection. He said it sounds like it is in my lymph system.

Anyway, he can be honest about everything because he doesn't deal with insurance companies. He is a really good guy.

If anyone ever needs someone for surgery he does more than just hernias. He is top notch. He headed up some well known hospitals.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement