LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stopping Rx for 5 Days Per LLMD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stopping Rx for 5 Days Per LLMD?
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Just a question. I've been on doxy (Doryx) for about 2 weeks.

Started getting some symptoms that had me concerned about a possible building allergy.

Also have candida overgrowth, but haven't started that treatment yet.....so symptoms could be candida related.

The recommendation is to stop the doxy for 5 days and start the Fluconazole right away.

Then, start back with the doxy. If all ok at that time....stay on both for duration of treatment.

Does this sound like a normal protocol given the circumstances?

LLMD likely suspects candida as the cause of my symptoms and wants me to start killing that off without the antibiotics making everything even worse.

Maybe a chance to get through the die-off without any additional challenges?

Thoughts?

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think five days off of doxy will kill you. Listen to your LLMD and see what happens. Maybe keep a journal of symptoms.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you worried about going off of the doxy? Or going back on it?

Going off it for five days seems like a good idea. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

I'd be a little more concerned about the rec to go back ON it if you indeed may be allergic to it.

Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was more concerned with stopping for 5 days.

I was lucky to start taking it only 1 week after seeing a bite (that might not even have been a tick).

I wanted to tough it out and keep on it to hammer any potential bugs out.

My concern was whether stopping for 5 days would allow bugs (if there are any) to rage back with a vengeance.

Even with 5 days off though, I believe I started treatment soon enough for a good result.

And yes....going back on makes me a little nervous. But I think I'll have a better idea if what is going on once I get through some candida treatment.

For example, if the mild morning itching on my chest gets better....it might have been candida. I guess it could still have been doxy too.

I don't think LLMD thinks I'm allergic. I think he just wants me to feel and be safe and get through this with as little stress and discomfort as possible.

I'm glad that you guys think stopping for 5 days wouldn't derail my treatment.

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Oh, and are there good things to help get through yeast die-off? I suspect this might be a bad one.

I've read a little about candidate and molybdenum, but am not really sure what helps people the most and is safe to take with other things.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good plan.

What is "candidate?"

Be sure to watch your diet closely.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Olive Leaf Extract cured the issue of candida overgrowth for me. It can also cover several bases in regards to it have a wide range of antimicrobial properties.

If you have to stop an Rx, this is a very good thing to have in it's place for that time period and then, also all along. When Rx are re-started, take OLE a couple hours away from it.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/115457?#000000

OLE Links

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I saw candidate listed on thecandidadiet.com as a helpful supplement.

Same with Molybdenum.

Knowing how bad die off was for me a couple of years ago, I could really use some help.

Especially since I'm trying to work during all of this.

I have heard awesome things about OLE. is it drops? Pills? I hear they are really strong.

Would I use that along with the Fluconazole?

If that kills yeast, the die off would be even crazier, right?

Oh wait....I see the links. [Smile]

Just need something to help detox effectively.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The liver support thread is all about "detox" but not in a harsh way. Don't push "detox"; rather go for support that will allow the liver to do its best. You cannot push the liver to work faster, harder.

Liver support / herx support is what helps with candida die-off, too.

Getting enough food is important, too. Too many try to starve and that can be very dangerous. Just be wise and go for the whole complex foods, mostly veggies, protein, good fats.

You would start low and slow. Don't start out at the top dose all at once.

Don't buy just any brand, though. Seagate - or a brand that uses the same practices is vital. Most are not good quality for reasons explained in Morton Walker's article / book.

No, I would not take OLE and fluconazole at the same time without first asking a naturopathic doctor. I found that OLE was much better than fluconazole, and much safer for the liver, too.

It may be that, starting out, you'd do both and then as you increase in dose for the OLE, you'd back off the fluconazole. Both would not be taken at the same time of day, however.

Still, a ND could help you with such question for your individual needs and situation.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Thanks, Keebler! This is so helpful! I'm going to order the Seagate OLE.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seagate is good.

I take molybdenum.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppy
Member # 5355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to second the motion about diet. Make sure you are doing low carb, avoiding alcohol, etc.
Posts: 2888 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Lymetoo....do you find the Molybdenum helps? Do you take it all the time, or only when treating?

I thought I read something about it interacting with other things, so I'm trying to find that information.

I already take vitamin D3, probiotic and now GI Encap.

I'll be watching my diet as well....I totally agree that diet is crucial.

In fact, I've herxed just from diet alone back when it was bad.

Couldn't start Fluconazole yet because I have an appointment today that I have to be able to get myself to. Didn't want to get bad herx and have to cancel.

I hate this candida business.

[ 07-21-2015, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: jwick25 ]

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info on OLE and candida.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I was just reading that Molybdenum comes with a risk of an enlarged heart???

What is that about?

NOW makes NAC that gets great reviews. Anyone take that one?

Once I get this under control and past the worst of the die-off, I am going to try OLE.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Molybdenum is an important nutrient - in the right amount. If a person is deficient, that's not good. Too much not good either.

When the body does not have the correct balance of key nutrients, it can be much harder regarding opportunistic infections such as candida -- and the gut really needs key nutrients, too.

NAC is more for liver support than for anti-candida action.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For the OLE, you'd probably want both capsules and tincture. The Seagate tincture is a glycerine base so it's soothing to the mouth and can just soak in without a water chase like many alcohol tinctures requires due to their strength / burn.
-

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

So....the NAC would help more with flushing out the die-off .... which is what I want.

I have the Fluconazole to actually kill off the yeast.

Then, once done with that, I might move over to OLE as it's a natural way to go.

I've never done tinctures before, so would have to read up on that.

I plan to start the Fluconazole tomorrow, and am just dreading it.

I think my overgrowth might be substantial enough to actually need the prescription.

Although, I'm learning that OLE is very strong and effective!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
"flushing" is a term that I find dangerous when we talk about our body organs.

NAC is helpful to the liver, to support its ability especially to better make glutathione for the liver and for every cell in our body.

Glutathione, in turn supports our body's ability to metabolize toxins, gobbling them up so to speak, moving them on out at a reasonable speed.
-

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

That was a much better explanation.... lol!

That's what I was referring to. A supplement to help support function and move toxins out of my system at a nice...but safe...pace. [Smile]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Whew! Just be sure to avoid acetaminophen as that blocks glutathione in the liver and all the cells of the body.
-

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NAC makes me herx. Why is that??
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
NAC is not suited for every individual. It's very strong. Too strong for me. Really hits me in the gut.

I do not think it's a herx (as only things that kill spirochetes really can cause a herx) but just the way my body reacts to its properties.

N-Acetyl Cysteine is a sulfur amino acid. Many just can't process it. I do okay with sulfur in garlic, I just think my stomach takes a hit with NAC for other reasons.

Milk Thistle or Dandelion are better, IMO. Even Milk Thistle can be too strong for some. Dandelion is the most gentle yet has good strong properties.

I forget the reason but one LLMD suggest that those with lyme not take NAC. Still, it seems to be an individual's ability or inability to tolerate it that mostly matters.

Backing up to tiny doses may work and then easing up over time. Still, I always think that if something really clobbers us and there are other ways to approach it that do not and are still effective, go for the ways in which we can feel as good as possible along this path.

-------------
Found this in my file notes:

The folks over at www.cpnhelp.org where NAC is required for treatment, report herx reactions to it. The thought is that it affects killing of Cpn "elemental bodies"

It also helps with mercury detox.
-

[ 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The liver support set above has many other liver support options. Most things that help the liver will also help with glutathione.

While NAC is mentioned here (but I think many with MTHFR issues can't "do" NAC), there are also many other options:

http://mthfrliving.com/health-conditions/glutathione/

MTHFR Living - Why Everyone Needs Glutathione
-

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

This is another product that a candida site mentions as being good for support and helping to move toxins from die-off out of the body.

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Remedies-Candidate-Candida-Maintenance/dp/B000TMXHQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437521401&sr=8-1&keywords=candidate

Wonder if it's gentler?

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Sounds like it should be fine. Start with just couple drops in a half cup of water.

I've enjoyed Pau d'arco in other forms before but start low and slow. I've read good things about lemongrass & marigold (never taken marigold before though).

The thing is that I would research the company first. I've never heard of them. They may be very good but do find out just who they are. Best to buy directly from a company when you can to be sure you get the real thing when you buy something brand new to you.

There are many counterfeit products out there with labels that look just fine.

You want to find out where they get their herbs, how they are grown & harvested, extracted, etc. before you order, get to know all about them.

And you'd need to know where they get their glycerine.

HERB PHARM is a brand herbal tinctures that I can highly recommend. They grow most of their own herbs in Southern Oregon and have many excellent formulas.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
https://www.herb-pharm.com/products/product-detail/pau-darco-lapacho-taheebo

Herb Pharm Pau d'Arco
-

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Great information....thank you!

I noticed that the Candidate drops actually have Pau d'Arco bark in the ingredients.

Well, I have to start the Fluconazole today, and don't have a supplement to help with die-off yet.....

...so fingers crossed that the worst won't be too awful. [Frown]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

jwick .. I take one molybdenum a day. Maybe I should consider taking one every other day! I have ongoing candida, so I would think I need it.

I'll have to look into that heart info.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I was looking for Molybdenum....which is where I found that NAC product.

However, Keebler mentioned that NAC might not be the ideal choice for a lymie.

Is there a difference between NAC and plain old Molybdenum?

What brand do you prefer, Lymetoo?

Even finding supplements is confusing....hee hee!

jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

I see Thorne has one.....I think that is a good brand...

http://www.amazon.com/Molybdenum-Glycinate-Capsules-60-count/dp/B00FX4D5LY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437574533&sr=8-2&keywords=molybdenum

Still open to another if you really like yours. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement