LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Increased hunger/ weight gain new meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Increased hunger/ weight gain new meds
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Iv rocephin about 2 1/2 months ago and Iv flagyl about maybe a week and a half ago. I've gained about 15 pounds in the past couple of months and never feel full. I'm always hungry and eat tons.

I googled flagyl and rocephin and increased appetite and there were several links of patients saying flagyl caused them to gain weight. Of course, on the official side effects it says loss of appetite. Arrrgg!

Does anyone have flagyl or rocephin increased appetite and or weight gain experiences or insight?

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have only been on the flagyl for about 10 days. So, you can probably rule out the flagyl since you were gaining weight already on the rocephin.

Unless you gained weight even more rapidly in the last 10 days.

I know that when I was sick with lyme, I didn't gain weight; instead I lost. But, as I treated and started feeling better, I started gaining back the weight I lost.

You may need to look at all other meds that you have been on for the last few months.

For example, many antidepressants are notorious for causing major weight gain. If this is what is going on, switch to one that does not have that side effect. There are some.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Could it be due to inflammation, holding more water?
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm. I think our bodies all respond differently, so even though some meds say will cause nausea, it may make someone really hungry. Our bodies are awesome like that, right?

It's hard to connect it to a medicine unless you take out the medicines and add them back in one at a time--or take away one at a time. Which, we really don't want to do. soooo, eat a lot of broccoli?? [Wink]

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be a hormone imbalance caused by biotoxin illness (the Lyme biotoxins are a common cause).
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also consider YEAST/ Candida. It gets HUNGRY!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, everyone, for the input. TF, yes, I have gained more weight since being on flagyl. 3 pounds!

Lymetoo, I take antifungals, so if I don't have thrust or yeast infections, could it still be yeast?

WPinVA- my hormones are "technically" in check via thyroid meds. Can it cause an imbalance that doesn't show up in lab work but just the symptoms.

Hw88, Broccoli? Yup, I have it in the freezer. I think it has freezer burn. [Wink] I get fatty and sugary cravings that are insanely intense.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast overgrowth is especially common with flagyl. That is per Dr. B and it certainly was true of me.

You are craving what the yeast loves to eat.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Thank you, TF. Question--if I'm not having heat infections or yeast, can I still have yeast overgrowth? I take antifunguls almost daily.

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

I am guessing at what you are saying because you seem to have at least one typo in your message above.

"A strict anti-yeast regimen must be followed."

This is a very important rule in Burrascano and I do not believe you have ever been able to follow it. So, this is the result.

Antifungals cannot take the place of the diet. Ever. And, you often need both diet and antifungals when on flagyl because in spite of the diet you can still get yeast when on flagyl.

Now that you have yeast, probably throughout your intestines, you are in for a battle because as long as you take antibiotics, you cannot get rid of yeast.

Study the Body Ecology Diet site. This is a very difficult problem to get rid of once it is entrenched in you.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF is right .. and it's a bear.

Anyone on long term abx must adhere to a strict diet without sugar or PAY THE PRICE.

Been there, done that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Here is the problem-- I used to have a very, very bad eating disorder, and when I restrict, it brings back eating disordered thinking which is a slippery slope. I don't want to go down that road again. I don't know how to resolve the problem of not feeling restricted and cutting out yeast. I went to therapy for for years to overcome the eating disorder.

I'm not making excuses, I'm being honest. I haven't wanted to post that info about having a bad eating disorder in the past, but I know I have to solve this problem.

I honestly don't know how I can do a yeast free diet without feeling restricted and it leading to eating disordered thinking. I'm open to any suggestions and advice. I *want* to be able to do it. I just ask that any responses are still honest and upfront, yet gentle, bc it's a very sensitive subject for me.

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gained a lot of weight that was very hard to take off.

Inflammation was a big factor for me and so was candida.

I'll be honest, when I first started the candida diet, it was not easy.

The key for me was to find candida friendly foods that I enjoyed so I didn't feel like I was being deprived.

Once you increase your protein, you may also feel less hungry, so it may not be as hard.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

I also have to eat gluten and casein free already. All the recipes that combine a gf, yf, cf diet are so involved. I don't have energy for it. So that is another thing to consider along w the former eating disorder post above.

I need help with this. I'm at a loss here.

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am gf and dairy free also.

The crock pot has become my best friend. Do you like quinoa at all?

I am not a cook - I don't like cooking. I often have scrambled eggs for breakfast, along with turkey bacon.

Lunch would consist of quinoa with candida friendly veggies.

For snacks I eat pumpkin or sunflower seeds. A handful can carry you a long way.

Lots of water.

Dinner is usually something in the crock pot.

This website can provide some good info https://www.thecandidadiet.com/

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom uses brightline eating ..it is very planned..you are in charge not the bugs http://susanpeircethompson.com/
also she believes in the spirtual mind connection has done years of psychotherapy in a day using "splankna therapy" powerful mojo

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eating gluten/casein free doesn't have to be complicated. Instead of using recipes that produce foods that are "substitutes" just prepare whole foods that are already free of gluten and casein.

For convenience a crock pot can be your best friend. Cook large portions of meat and either freeze or refrigerate leftovers in separate portions for convenience meals.

This can be done with grains like quinoa and rice too. Frozen veggies are pretty convenient and retain nutrition comparable to their fresh counterparts.

Keep friendly snacks handy, carrots keep well as does unopened hummus. There's a lot you can do with coconut oil and if you have trouble with sweet cravings you can make coconut macaroons or chocolate/coconut oil bark with stevia.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Thank you all. This is helpful. So I can use anything coconut based without yeast-feeding agents in the mix?

Also, do I have to start at stage 1 of the antics side diet? Like no quinoa for 3 weeks, etc?

--------------------

me
Member # 45475

MominTexas, do you have any links to super easy crock pot meat recipes that are yf, gf, and cf? Everything I've found is involved. I guess I need to try and make friends with the crock pot. [Smile] Thank you so much.

--------------------

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'n not familiar with the antics diet, but have been mostly grain and fruit free for a long time. I don't think I have any issues with yeast that I can tell, and I've been on concomitant abx over two years so I think the lack of sugars and starch is a big help. I'm just starting to experiment with quinoa and brown rice a little bit.

Coconut oil can help to kill yeast off in the body, so work up the amounts until you know how your body will react. Avoid coconut sugar, it's still sugar at the end of the day.

This is how I'm cooking a chuck roast today. A few veggies in the bottom of pot, carrots, celery, onions, garlic. You can season and brown the meat first, or just season and put in the crock pot. For simplicity I use salt, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf. Arrange the rest of the veggies around the meat and add liquid (I prefer stock to water) to almost cover.

Depending on the size and cut of meat, you can probably cook 3-5 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low. For convenience you can prep everything the night before.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by gz:

Eating gluten/casein free doesn't have to be complicated. Instead of using recipes that produce foods that are "substitutes" just prepare whole foods that are already free of gluten and casein.

-
That is key.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

Thank you, gz and Lymetoo. I'm already long time gf and cf, although recently I've had slips and I'm usually very strict about staying gf and cf. weird.

Going yeast free will take away my guilty pleasures, like gf and cf snacks, frozen meals, soy ice cream, etc.., especially since they are ready made and easy.

It comes down to me figuring out a way to make and eat easy meals while not feeling restricted. I did print off candida foods to eat and avoid (again), but I fail at staying yeast free within a day. I'm so frustrated with myself. I don't get why this is so hard for me.

I started the day w two eggs. Had yf, gf, cf chicken and greens for lunch. I was determined to stick it out. Then, what do you know, I felt restricted and went through a drive through and ate gluten and casein.

I'm so mad at myself that I can't find a way to make this work for me yet! It's really upsetting me.

--------------------

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me, I'm sorry that you have struggled with an eating disorder. I have a close friend that has been in that situation and it is tough. I commend you for fighting. It is a feat to be proud of.

I don't really have any suggestions on eating. I struggle with that as well. Because I have gastoparesis, My stomach won't pump food through very well.

Gastroparesis diet is anything easy to digest--no fiber, fat, raw fruits or veggies, eat white bread, not wheat,etc. Basically everything that is bad for you. Meats are VERY hard to digest, so protein is a struggle everyday.

So I'm suppose to follow GF/no dairy diet, candida diet, and gastoparesis diet.... They don't match up very well.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions here because I'm learning from them too.

Love yourself. Take it one problem at a time. Oh, and if you find a good diet plan through all this, share it with me too. [Wink]

You are a support to so many people.

Sorry, this post does not contain any diet help. But know you are loved.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Hw88, Thank you for your sweet words--they came at the perfect time, and I needed it. Hugs.

--------------------

TF
Member # 14183

OK, you two. Here was my go-to breakfast and snack or dessert recipe the entire time I treated lyme and cos:

http://bodyecology.com/recipes/porridge.php Hot Breakfast Porridge

It is a "cereal" made of cooked quinoa. Make a big batch. Then, put it in one-serving containers. I took a container to work and heated it up in the microwave for about 1 minute when I wanted something to eat--for breakfast or any time.

I ate it when I wanted a little treat.

For breakfast, eat eggs and any breakfast meat (bacon, sausage, ham), etc. Or, eat quinoa porridge and breakfast meat. Get the frozen breakfast sausages "Banquet Brown 'n Serve." They microwave in seconds. Eat 2 or 3 of them or more. Eat them any time as a snack.

For lunch and dinner, eat meat, salad, and non-starchy vegetables.

You can eat tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, etc. If you have a cafeteria at work, you can eat basically any meat they are serving. If it is breaded, take off the breading.

You can buy a sandwich and take of the bread. Eat at the salad bar.

Go out and eat. You can have steak, salad, asparagus, any veggies that are not starch. Eat lots!

Keep lots of different nuts and seeds on hand for snacking. I like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and all kinds of nuts.

Put chopped nuts in the quinoa cereal.

Cook whole quinoa and use it as your rice or pasta. Unflavored, it is a substitute for noodles in recipes like beef stroganoff or other such meat meals.

Flavor it by cooking it in chicken broth or other broth like veggie broth. Cook it with spices also. You may come to love quinoa. It is very healthy and versatile. It cooks in no time--10 to 15 minutes until the seeds open up.

Use 2 parts water or broth to 1 part quinoa.

Buy the quinoa at a health food store to get it cheaper. And, there are many kinds and colors of quinoa. I used the regular quinoa for the porridge.

Use quinoa as your carbs!

There are now little boxed side dishes of quinoa with spices. Perfect! Fry up a burger and have a quinoa side dish and any veggies you want. You can saute sliced red peppers and onions in the pan with the burger.

If you can eat cheese, use a variety of cheeses as snacks.

And, you can eat a half of a Granny Smith apple (the green, tart ones) sliced with some cheese slices and nuts as a snack or dessert.

Just keep cheese, nuts, and a few of these apples around at all times. You can eat a few berries at the end of a meal also.

By eliminating carbs and sugar, you will lose weight no matter how much meat and veggies you eat.

Make lemon water your go-to drink so that you are detoxing all the time and getting vitamin C to boot.

Sorry, HW, I know you can't eat all of these things. Just throwing out how I remember eating long, long ago.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

me .. Don't beat yourself up about it, just try to stay away from too much sugar and "bad" stuff.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

Thank you, TF and Lymetoo. TF, your go to food info makes things less overwhelming for me. I'm going to give this a try.

Lymetoo, thank you for your kind words.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

[group hug] me!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

I don't know what is going on, but I am getting very overwhelmed by planning to go yeast free and can't seem to stop eating things I've been free of for years now.

This is stressing me out. It seems so dumb, but it is. I don't know what to do.

--------------------

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

TF, thanks for the suggestions. Just like everything else with lyme, somedays my vagus nerve will work, others it won't. So on good days, I could probably eat a lot of your suggestions. On bad days, I'm just happy to get some nutrition and calories in me. [Smile]

Thank you.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Me. Do what you can. 1 day, 1 meal at a time. easier said than done, I know.

I've learned that I get very overwhelmed with all of this a lot. LOTS of information and no 2 people are the same. I just have to do what I can and trust things will work out somehow.

hugs.

me
Member # 45475

Thanks, HW88. Good advice. I feel like I have to go gung ho all at once, and maybe I should try easing into it. More importantly, thanks for the emotional support. Hugs back.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

HW is right.. one meal and one step at a time. If you fail, you go to the next meal.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

me
Member # 45475

Thanks, Lymetoo. I appreciate your support. Hugs.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement