LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Chiropracter/neck?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chiropracter/neck?
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 9 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read on here one time not to have your neck adjusted and/or upper back by a chiropractor for some reason. Does anyone know anything about this?

I think I need to see a chiropractor, but I want to make sure I don't do anything that could be harmful.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a chiro before I knew I had lyme. I'm not sure if it was good or bad. I stopped going, because I was afraid he would make my neck worse than it already was and after I would go, something new would hurt....

BUT, I've heard from others it has been a life savor. Not sure.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a recent thread that explains much of what you are asking:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/134726?

My experience is that I really need it. I recently went back and xrays showed that I have bone spurs beginning to grow on a couple of cervical vertebrae since my neck has been so far out for some time. My spine has also developed a very visible S-curve.

I used to go regularly but haven't been for a few years. I can't not get adjusted seeing the shape my spine is in. As my neck goes back into alignment the bone spurs will probably resolve on their own, and good chiropractic can do wonders for scoliosis.

I see a practitioner that specializes in the Gonstead method. The adjustments are very specific to only what needs moved. This allows things like just the C1 or Occipital bone to be adjusted if needed.

The first couple weeks of adjustments left me feeling pretty sick. I needed a lot of extra detox.

I have also gotten some deep body work done which I think is marrying well with the adjustments. I think what the person does might be considered rolfing, as there is a lot of manipulation of the connective tissues. The relief after the first treatment was indescribable. I've been just a few times, and think I'll be pretty good for a while.

A lot of this probably contradicts what is considered "best," "healthy," or "safe" for someone with TBD's, but it works well for me and is integral to getting my body back to normal structural functioning.

[ 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: gz ]

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried several times. each time created more pain, headaches, etc, so I quit altogether.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The activator method is best for lyme patients. It's not manual manipulation and it works great. Look for someone with advanced training though. All chiros say they can do it, but the ones with advanced training make a huge difference.

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/chiropractic/activator-method-chiropractic-technique

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a chiropractor regularly. I go to one who uses an activator.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MannaMe
Member # 33330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MannaMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hubby sees his chiropractor regularly. It definitely helps him feel better.
Posts: 2249 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info. Thank you all.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ask your LLMD for a recommendation.

Ask those in all area support groups around. Hopefully, there is a DC or DO who knows enough about lyme / TBD and has the best approach.

Always explore the methods the DO or DC will use and always - before each session - remind them not to suddenly twist the spine if there is any inflammation or even when lyme is in the picture, really. This caution is from a presentation of a LLMD at an ILADS conference years ago but I did not make note of their name.

This was something that I found out about the hard way, after so much damage from sudden twisting of my neck.

Still, there are various GENTLE METHODS that can work.

A DO (osteopathic doctor) has always been a better choice for me, and especially when trained / using Upledger method for FULL SKELETON adjustments, not just this or that part. All the DCs I saw were just focused too narrowly, too short of a session, too.

With the DC I saw for Upledger work, the sessions were all 45 minutes long and addressed the full body. With time to rest afterward, not just jump up for the next patient to get on the table. My body really needed the full, gentle and quiet approach.

This approach always included work on the skull plates, too. If any part of the SKELETON is not included, IMO, the treatment can miss the mark.

Of course, each DC and DO would have their own styles and manner of operations.

Some insurance plans cover DOs & DCs, though maybe not both. Some PTs are also often trained in this.

http://www.upledger.com/content.asp?id=26

UPLEDGER INSTITUTE (particular method)

CranioSacral Therapy

[this type is excellent for those with lyme as there is no sudden twisting of the spine or neck - which should never be done with someone who deals with lyme where the spine might be infected / inflammed / swollen]
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ergonomics, posture, habits also really matter. Body mechanics every waking moment should be assessed. FELDENKRAIS method is a good one to explore for things we can do for ourselves in that regard, too.

Look at all furniture / tools that our bodies use &/or rely upon throughout the day and night.

SHOES, too, really matter.

QIGONG / TAI CHI also excellent to help with body in space stuff - long after the session ends, the way the body is learning to balance and move through space just stays with you.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much, Keebler.

--------------------

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my best friends is a Chiropractor. I would trust my life to him!

He adjusts my full body, back, and neck when needed. He can even do my hands, feet, hips, jaw, etc...

He was trained to use the activator, and does use it for people with severe osteoporosis that cannot have ANY pressure/ movement on & with the bones, etc...

I have tried the Activator but did not find it helpful for me.

I need a good, real, hands on manual adjustment. This always helps me feel better. I only get adjustments as needed, not regularly.

And they never hurt me! I never feel ill in any way after either.

I think that you should discuss your needs with friends, family, and other members of your medical team. They can give you a good referral to a reputable, trustworthy Chiropractor.

Keebler pointed out that some DO's are also well trained to do adjustments and body work.

Be sure to discuss your individual needs with the practitioner. A good doc will know best how to treat you when you share your story.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a good chiropractor regularly.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Thank you sammi and robin123!

--------------------

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atlas helped ...

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I must say it appears you could use a good editor to follow you around- red marks for sure young lady.

Chiropractor- that is how you spell it.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

[Razz]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

me
Member # 45475

Not even sure how to respond, Tincup OTHER THAN I WISH I COULD WRITE THIS IN RED FONT!

Picky, picky aren't you now, Cinderelli.

P.S. Could you please edit the above comment [Big Grin] for me?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement