LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl: Day off? or encouragement needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl: Day off? or encouragement needed
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 days into Flagyl treatment I feel like hell. I feel like I have the flu along with stomach ailments. In fact stomach ailments are doing me in.

Have others out there taken a day off? I am dizzy, nauseous, have runs,and extremely tired. Could this be a herx, or just the Flagyl?

I know no one knows for sure, but I would love reassurance that I should keep taking it. It doesn't seem prudent to take more when my stomach is just...out of commission.

I've been drinking plain kefir and taking probiotics. Any other advice would be appreciated.

The good news is my rash is very much faded. Thank you!

Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have intestinal parasites, and many do, that could explain why the stomach ailments are so bad. Flagyl kills these parasites and many other types also. It kills many, many things.

As I said in another thread, when I took flagyl for lyme, it was not a bad herx at all (4 days of feeling bad and 3 of feeling half bad).

But, when I took flagyl for c. diff, that really took me to the limit. Everything you are describing. So, as you can see, when I had an intestinal issue and was prescribed flagyl, that was a whole different matter. A friend without lyme had the same experience.

It is really up to you if you want to take a day or 2 off. I hope you are doing all the detox methods you know how to do. That really is the key to keeping these "side effects" down. They are generally detox side effects, so that is why you need to detox like mad.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=030792;p=0

LIVER & KIDNEY SUPPORT & and several HERXHEIMER support links, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to stop the flagyl. the dose was too high and even halving or quartering didnt help.

I was getting severe tingling and numbness in my legs. along with cramps, I jus decided it was too much. when it started in my arms, I quit.

another one to add to my never take list.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recommend you call your LLMD. I'm sorry you are feeling so poorly.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WPinVA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 33581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WPinVA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My protocol was only to take it few days at a time. Presumably for this reason.
Posts: 1737 | From Virginia | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsnyde2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very helpful. Thank you all
Posts: 351 | From La Crosse, WI | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

TF, you said: "But, when I took flagyl for c. diff, that really took me to the limit. Everything you are describing.

So, as you can see, when I had an intestinal issue and was prescribed flagyl, that was a whole different matter. A friend without lyme had the same experience. "

Hmmm, interesting. I was told by a naturopath doctor that I had intestinal parasites at one time, not too long ago. Now I am getting encouraged, thank you.

I did take yesterday off. I just couldn't take it. I now understand the theory behind the pulse.

And detox. I think I went in without enough ammunition. Headed to health food store. Thanks!

jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

TF - For how long were you on Flagyl for C-Diff?
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember but I think it was 10 to 14 days. I still had c. diff. after that, so then I had to switch to the last ditch antibiotics for c. diff. (Vancomycin at $3,600 for 2 weeks)

I know outstanding lyme doctors who tell their patients to work up to taking flagyl for 14 days. So, they take it as many days in a row as they can. Then, they stop. Then, they do it again and again until they are able to take it 14 days straight each time.

Burrascano says that you have to take it at least 14 days in a row to kill lyme.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

Thanks TF. This is just so helpful. I am really thinking the reaction is because I do indeed have intestinal parasites.

I have to talk to my doc, but she is not an LLMD. She is very holistic and open to suggestions, however.

It is a 2 months wait to get into my Lyme doc.

jsnyde2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7888

TF: (Vancomycin at $3,600 for 2 weeks)

OUCH!

TF
Member # 14183

Yes! Good thing my insurance covered most of it. I think my copay was $300 for each 14 day supply.

I had to go on the Vanco a number of times because I was not with a top gastro and he wouldn't keep me on the Vanco long enough. He infuriated me. After months of waiting, I got in with a very good gastro who treated me once for 30 days and tapered off the Vanco and the c diff was gone.

Just want everybody to know that I got the c diff when an ENT got frustrated trying to cure my sinus infections and blasted me with a humongous dose of some oral antibiotics. I never got c diff while treating lyme and coinfections.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement