LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » nitrous oxide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nitrous oxide
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have the option of having nitrous oxide for dental work tomorow.

I had it years ago and it was wonderful! Didn't care about a thing--they could have shot me.

But I will sleep with ambien tonight due to anxiety for this and wondering if it's okay with an appt at 10am?

Any contraindications with Lyme?

I'm being a nervous wreck over this appt!

Was going to do implant, but talked into a root canal and I like keeping the tooth.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Root Canals: The Link Between Toxic Dentistry And Illness
by Danielle • April 7, 2011 • 6 Comments
I once had a doctor friend relate to me his belief that root canals were the cause of many people’s seemingly unrelated symptoms, chronic illnesses, and even cancer. He pointed to how a number of patients of his who had gotten root canals against his advice, developed strange symptoms, illnesses or cancer soon thereafter.

One day, while in his office, he had eagerly brought me over to one of his nurses whom, prior to coming to work for him, had been suffering for years with unexplained headaches and myriad other ailments. She explained to me that when she first began in his office, after going over her medical history with him, he had realized that her symptoms had begun the year she had gotten her first root canal. Thus, he immediately recommended she have her root canal pulled that week! She then told me of how, while sitting in the oral surgeon’s chair, the moment the tooth with the root canal was pulled from her mouth, the room began to look brighter, and her chronic headache ceased – the “fog” had lifted. Interestingly, the rest of her mysterious symptoms went away within the next week.

My doctor friend also shared with me that day that some of the most common symptoms he has seen in his patients as a direct result of a root canal tooth are persistent headache, fatigue, depression, and joint pain.

Now, you are probably accustomed to hearing cautionary stories of the pain people experience with getting a root canal, but I wonder if most people actually know what a root canal is? I didn’t; that is, until I visited with my doctor friend and got the low-down on this dirty practice of toxic teeth.

Just What Is A “Root Canal Tooth” Anyway?

A “root canal tooth” is an infected tooth and has been treated by a dentist in the following way: the nerve supply to the tooth is removed by the dentist who then tries to remove the infection and then fills the remaining space with various substances whose purpose is to kill bacteria and make sure that the tooth does not become infected again.

Why is this a problem?

A) There is always the potential for infection and you will never be able to tell if there is any remaining infection in the tooth because:

1. Since there is no longer a nerve supply, the person will not feel anything from that location.
2. X-rays will tell you nothing until it is often too late. X- rays will not show if there is an infection in the tooth; it will only show if there is bone loss. Bone loss from a chronic infection in the tooth takes a long time to develop and, thus, a long time before it shows up on an X-ray. By the time bone loss shows up on an X-ray, the person may have already developed an illness.

B) The person may be intolerant to the materials and chemicals used to fill the root canal tooth.

Some people have an adverse reaction to the substances that are permanently put into the tooth. What is tricky is that, if a reaction does take place, it is often not perceived locally since there is no nerve supply. The symptoms are systemic, progressive, and insidious and the person almost never connects their symptoms to the root canal tooth. The sudden development of symptoms may also be due “molecular mimicry reaction” to bacteria that is in the root canal tooth – a low-level infection that will not be picked up on an X-ray (one can never entirely seal a root canal tooth).

Sadly, the diagnosis of a root canal tooth as being the cause of an illness by a doctor is quite rare.

The 2 Schools Of Thought In Dentistry With Regards To Root Canals

There are some dentist that believe one should “save the tooth” and have a root canal on an infected tooth, and there are others (such as Dr. Weston Price, Dr. Meinig, and Drs. Kulacz and Levy) who feel an infected tooth should always be extracted even if the gap it leaves creates its own challenges.

What’s The Solution To Dealing With Your Infected Tooth?

In the end, it is the informed person who must decide whether to have their infected tooth extracted or whether to have a “root canal” performed. Since a “root canal tooth” always has the possibility of becoming infected – without detection – and since there is the potential to have a chronic hypersensitivity reaction to the materials and chemicals inserted in the tooth, if it were me, I would choose the former.

If one decides to have the tooth pulled, they would need a bridge created. I was told that the best material to use is Zirconium with a ceramic overlay as it is the most hypoallergenic and very strong. In cases where the bridge needs to be quite large, or if it is in a place in the mouth where much weight is put on it – such as further back in the mouth – then a gold bridge is recommended. You should discuss these options with your dentist. Lastly, one should try to have their tooth pulled by a skilled oral surgeon. Prosthodontists are typically the dentists you want to have build your bridge, although a good dentist may be able to do just as well.

Something To Leave You With
If you have a root canal(s), and if you also have symptoms for which a cause has not been identified, or a chronic illness, or even cancer, did your health problems start in the weeks, months or years following your having your first root canal tooth?

Link> http://mylymediseasetreatment.com/general-health/toxic-teeth-are-root-canals-the-cause-of-your-unexplained-symptoms-chronic-illness-or-even-cancer/

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry Marz. Unfortunately, there is no way to say this without scaring you more which is not my intention.

There have been people who have died as a result of being given dental Nitrous Oxide when they had an undiagnosed Methyltetrafolate Reductase Disorder (MTHFR).

I was one who nearly died. More than once. And even when I told them this before a survey they ignored me on purpose, later saying they didn't think it would hurt me because Queen Elizabeth used it in child birth. Talk about STUPID doctors.

[Eek!]

Might want to check this out.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/symptoms-information/mthfr/mthfr-treatment/mthfr-notes

More info.

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/symptoms-information/mthfr/mthfr-nit

Again, so sorry to rattle you more, but it is important.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Steve, I do have a 1298 heteroz. gene. I did fine with the NO I got all those years ago, but maybe will skip it this time.

I was at MDs for an unrelated blood draw today and the technician told me that NO is highly regulated now. I do remember people dying from it a while ago and then dentists quit using it.

I see article says it depletes B12 and I do take that everyday.

Still, guess I'll pass on that.

It's taken me months to decide to do the root canal. My alternative was an implant and know of someone who ended up two weeks in hospital for an infection from that.

With my TMJ, I can't risk a bridge with three teeth instead of one for my poor jaw to be comfortable with.

Did you get the NO a long time ago before they controlled it better?

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

P.S. I meant to say the gas is monitored, not controlled.
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have the MTHFR mutation and have done well with NO in the past. I have read about this though. My dentist that used it on me has passed away [Frown] and I have not been able to find a new dentist who uses it. I would welcome that!

Good luck to you. I know how anxiety provoking dental work can be. I also know about the controversy with root canals. I have one left, that would be a complex extraction requiring an oral surgeon. Of course, x-rays look fine. It is a hard call whether to put my body through the stress of oral surgery...

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After so many bad experiences with root canals, I definitively hate them, and would avoid them if possible.
Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onebeed
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onebeed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used NO, then later developed neuropathy. I did have low B12 afterwards. I do have the MTHFR 1298. No idea if it was related, but I don't touch the stuff now.
Posts: 142 | From Midwest | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

I didn't do the NO and I didn't need it. I had no pain during or after. I was actually pretty relaxed.

He could only get through two of the three roots due to calcification. He put something on the third one to hopefully dissolve the calcium. If that fails, then surgery through gums to root which I wish they would just do to start with!

I know how bad a root canal can be for your health, but I have to say that I felt better the next day. I felt like a toxic load had been lifted.

There are implant horror stories too and just had to decide which possibility to deal with.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad it went well for you, Marz and you are feeling better. Thanks for the update and I hope you need no further work on that tooth.
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement