LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Starting rifampin.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting rifampin.....
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just talked to LLMD today and we are switching things up a bit... Rifampin is now going in the cocktail.

Anyone have advice for this. I'm kinda scared since I feel most of my symptoms are bart..... Is it going to hit hard?? who knows! Our bodies react so differently.....

zoiks.

Any thoughts out there?

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordana
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 45305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know my fatal crash of two weeks ago came on mino and rifampin. But I really felt nothing different when I started it and I think it was the combination, especially with the mino, that did it, if not just the mino.

I had massive side effects but I'm not sure it was from the rifampin.

Posts: 2057 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ilovedogs
Member # 48866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilovedogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice is to start slow and slowly increase. It was a powerful drug for me.

Good luck and hopefully it gets rid of the bart for you!!

Posts: 88 | From new england | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start slowly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started it a few weeks ago. Lots of improvement so far. Started at half dose and ramped up after a few days.

Bart does not usually cause a strong herx but sometimes Rifampin hits other things and it can be quite intense.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good advice on this lyme doc's page:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher J
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christopher J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its going to make your pee red. Not kinda red, not sorta red, red red :-D Its pretty odd looking if youre not used to it. Other than that, I tolerated it well.
Posts: 173 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had diarrhea as a herx or side effect with Rifampin? Not diarrhea due to bacterial or yeast overgrowth but diarrhea can be an expected side effect I read somewhere.
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have diarrhea but my urine was orangeish and had a sharp odor. My friend had the same two things happen .Drink plenty of water.

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, thank you everyone. I checked out for a few days. My birthday was last week and I sorta mentally checked out of 'lyme' for a while.

It just felt like too much to face ANOTHER birthday on the couch trying to be happy for my children.

Actually, It was a pretty good few days around my birthday, so maybe that was a tender mercy.

I started rifampin half dose and have now ramped up. I've taken full dose for 3 days now. . . . So far things aren't horrible.

I can tell I upped the dose, but doing o.k.. Hoping to see some good gains!

Thank you everyone.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy belated bday HW88!

--------------------
Just sharing my experiences, opinions, and what I've read and learned. Not medical advice.

Posts: 1431 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

thank you me!!
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday ..keep us posted ..godspeed

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
me
Member # 45475

How is the rifampin treating you, HW88?

--------------------

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

ok!

so I sorta feel like a bit of a wreck. Not so bad that I feel I need to stop, but the couch and I have been very good friends this week.

My head especially... buzzy, dizzy, achey. And my eyes. eyes hurt to look at things. (these are both symptoms that I have, so just worse).

A bit of an emotional roller coaster. . .

I'm about a week into full dose, so I'm hoping I will start going in the 'good' direction soon!

This has been one of my longer 'downs'. Usually when I start new meds, I can feel it for about 3 days and then start to pull out of it. SOOO,. . . hoping to come up for air soon!

Thanks everyone. You're the best!

me
Member # 45475

HW88, Based on my experience with rifampin, what you are going through seems"normal," meaning as normal
as making sense of all of this that doesn't make sense can be.

For about ten days to two weeks, rifampin made me feel very weighted down and just extra icky. I hated it. That is the hate part. It hit the Bartonella and also made me go on an emotional roller coaster. Crying, extra depressed, etc.

After being on it for a while, it brought the neuropsychiatric symptoms down. That is the love part. For the first time in years, years, years, I was able to get off one of my psych meds and reduce another. That is unheard of for me.

It was years of adding psych meds to try and balance me out, but the bacterial load in my brain was so high, it seemed no amount of psych meds helped until after my rollercoaster ride with rifampin and other treatments.

So, I hope that answers your question as to why I have a love/hate relationship with rifampin.

Hang in there. I hope you are able to watch some good movies or something to try and distract you while making friends with your couch. Hugs.

--------------------

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Me, Weighted down is a good way to describe it... Just kind of a BLAH.
me
Member # 45475

Yep, an extreme weighted down depressing BLAH. I don't know how else to describe it. It was almost like looking at myself from the outside in but feeling every moment of the experience. It was an odd kind of almost indescribable feeling if that makes sense?

--------------------

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having trouble with it ..lead legs ...like a person without arms i cannot hang .. though i must !? Arrg...is it ok to pulse this stuff? My poor liver

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HW88, keep us posted.

"Expect a herx-like reaction during the first week or so; then significant progress often occurs during the second or third week on rifampin." (from link I posted above)

Hope this is your experience!

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

The weighted feeling is better, but my stomach hurts. Not my normal nausea from gastroparesis, but an ouch hurt in the upper stomach....

Trying to figure that out...

Doing ok. Up and down....

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Does anyone know if you can pulse rifampin? I've been looking up stuff and it seems to be a no no. Is that right?

Anyone pulse rifampin out there? I'm just trying to figure out my stomach, but don't want to stop if it's not good to do so... blah.

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Ya hw88 i asked thst on hw ..and some say its perstance and others say its resistance ..intersting conversation .but i :ouldnt get answer if dr j pulsed it or rifabutin .seems like give it hell ..but if its in cells and abx only hits when its out then ..idk .what are you pairing it with ?

..also So upping dose soon ..600mg 1x or 300mg 2x ???

--------------------
Blue

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started and stopped rifampin a good bit. Off for three days then right back on after a round of coartem. Sometimes one month on, one month off in rotation with something else. I haven't seemed to have any issues with stopping and restarting.

I was really scared of rifampin at first because of the intensity and number of my Bart sx. It ended up being much easier for me than I'd expected.

Sorry to hear about your stomach pain. It might be helpful if only for piece of mind if you are able to get your liver enzymes checked. Bart and/or Bart die off is also notorious for causing gastric sx/pain.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Gz ..did you have much gains on rifampin? Did you feel it was still effective when you revisited it ? What did you pair it with?

--------------------
Blue

gz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin did quell my Bart sx over time. Before the rifampin I did a six week round of cipro which gave me some really good gains, but also left me with Achilles tendon damage that isn't completely healed after 1 year already.

I had very little herxing with the rifampin, some shin and foot pain. Not much in the way of emotional stuff, which is what I was mostly scared of. Lots of improvement with neuroscience/psych sx over time.

I did a bunch of coartem rounds, stopping all other meds while on it. The first couple days back on the rest of meds were a little bumpy, especially after riding coartem haha. I don't feel that stopping/starting changed the effectiveness of the rifampin.

Posts: 474 | From US | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

So, I've done o.k. with 1/2 dose rifampin. LLMD said that's ok. I will probably try to go back up again and see what happens.

I've been experiencing a rise in anxiety and insomnia. Waiting till period is over (that is always the worst time... sorry tmi) and will try again. I will bump it to 300mg 2x a day.

I'm also on Ceftin and Biaxin.

Hoping for some good gains on the emotional side of life. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement