LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Colds and lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colds and lyme
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we manifest colds differently than 'normal' people? Everytime my kids get a cold I tend to catch the 'beginnings' of the cold. It never gets to the full blown stages,but lasts 3 times as long and of course makes all my lyme symptoms worse. Just wondering if others are the same.

Come on summer....im done with winter colds.

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey HW...

I've heard we do manifest them differently. That's because we are all "special".

Don't know why, but even though we do it differently, it often isn't the same for Lyme patients. You could have this symptom and I could have that symptom.

Tell you what's helped me a LOT over the past several years.

But, it will cost you sweet pea!

[Big Grin]

I use these and it has been amazing for me and others I've had try them.

http://www.coldeeze.com

I get mine from Amazon. Sounds hokey, but it works for me!

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Thanks TC. I'll give them a try. It is really weird though...
Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BobG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BobG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Tincup. High quality vit C and zinc has been shown to be effective against severity and duration. I start as soon as my throat gets that scratchy feeling and have averted many a cold that way.

A prominent Lyme practitioner said that many Lymies don't get colds because their immune systems are in such overdrive. Starting to get colds can be a sign of 'getting back to normal'. Don't know how much truth there is to that but they are very experienced.

Would welcome hearing from others.

Posts: 360 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyme248
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 51011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyme248     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the same problem sometimes. Sometimes I actually feel better when I have a cold, but a lot of times when I feel like my immune system isn't working right, I'll get the beginning of a cold for three or four days before I actually get sick.

Sometimes whenever I go anywhere, I feel like I'm catching a cold.

I like to take astragulus and echinachea when I feel like I'm coming down with something.

Echinachea seems to work really well and I wish I could take it all the time, but my naturopath said that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

--------------------
chronic Lyme/Bartonella

Inside every sick person is a well person waiting to be freed

Posts: 232 | From new england | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Hm. It's interesting to me that we react to these viruses differently than non lyme people.

Tincup, I stocked up on Coldeeze! I think I started taking them a bit late in the game, but I think they are helping. [Wink] Wahoo.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
If we had the same cold virus in the past that we come in contact with today then we won't get ill, or not as ill because it's not new to us & our immune system can recognize it and deal with it right away.

Still, lyme can totally mess up so much about the immune system. So all bets are off. It "flips" parts / functions and can zoom "some functions of it" to the moon when it should chill out and visa versa.

What lyme does to the immune system is certainly not understood by most doctors who have not gone through the ILADS Physician Training Program. Even the very best and most experienced ILADS connected doctors are learning about all the ways lyme can boomerang unexpectedly.

For those with lyme, it can take a while to get some sense of how to drive this car, so to speak, that has had its entire invisible control circuit board just go haywire.

The same goes for other tick-borne and chronic stealth infections. All bets are off as to just how the various systems / organs / functions of the body are affected. And it can vary person to person and from time to time.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Still, I suppose if anything I pass along can make a difference, here's the best advice:

Do not breathe in what comes out in the toilet -- that is avoid as much as possible being in the same public bathroom as anyone while the toilet is being flushed. Keep the sewer out of our eyes, noses, and lungs.

At home, have all family members and guest CLOSE THE LID, THEN FLUSH. I have a sign on my toilet handle.

Still, keep hand towels away from the toilet for when males use it some liquids my fly in mist.

In the kitchen, keep the hand towels at a level where clothes are not going to be coming in contact. When drying hands, too, do not let the towel touch clothing as that can transfer germs.

At kids' school, it would be good if bathroom breaks could be staggered. Washing hands helps, of course for surfaces touched . . . but keeping the sewer out of the air stream matters greatly.

Much of the work of times' past, with clean water and sewer systems was fabulously helpful at stopping the spread of disease.

But being in the line of mist during toilet flushing is a big risk that I've seen only a few address in a TV segment here and there with blue lights that show how far even mist from a home toilet can fly with the lid is left open to flush.

Public toilets with only the rare lid (of dubious "touchability") and their bombastic flushing at the blink of an eye, well, that's a midair river of toilet mist.

I'd bet if a few schools wanted to develop some kind of guidance and track progress, they'd see far less illness during the winter months if toilet water stayed out of kids' lungs.

The emphasis on

1. washing hands - and keeping hands away from eyes, nose, mouth . . .

2. using elbow to sneeze into (and then not hugging someone with that moist elbow / shoulder right in their face . . .

well, I'd like to see a round triangle to that with

3. "Close the Lid" or "Breathe Away from the Flush" - I just can't think of the right wording or imagery.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement