LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lion's mane for nerve pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lion's mane for nerve pain?
6Hypnone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47629

Icon 5 posted      Profile for 6Hypnone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear it's for nerve damage, which I don't know if I have. Just pain. Can it help w/pain too?
Posts: 606 | From sw suburbs of chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Everyone who is dealing with chronic lyme has nerve tissue compromise to varying degrees, at the very least it would be nerve tissue inflammation just from the presence of a chronic infection.

The hope is to address the key elements of treatment & support before damage sets in too deep.

All pain involves the nerves, in a way. It's the nerve that transmit the signal that something is wrong by sending pain alerts.

Lion's Mane can be a wonderful helper, yet nerve repair is very slow.

Over the course of months, Lion's Mane it may lessen pain if it helps to heal the nerve tissues. It will take time.

Although if the cause of the nerve pain is not addressed, Lion's Mane Mushroom capsules are not likely to help all the way as it will be unable to really attend to its "job" of tissue repair if the house is still on fire, so to speak.

Infection management, (this must be top of the list)

Do you have a good LLMD? Or a LL ND?

If not, be sure to get Dr. H's newest book and books by Stephen Buhner, too. Directly attending to infection(s) is not the same as support, though, so keep in mind as you seek relief.

Also of help: anti-inflam. diet (gluten free, etc) . . . possible pre-diabetes or diabetes, high blood sugar spikes

oxalates in certain foods, high histamine foods,

posture issues and such all factor into this.

Getting the right kind and amount of magnesium also key. Some people need up to 2,000 mg a day -- but whatever the daily amount, it must be divided into 3 or 4 doses (never all at once).

Lion's Mane is not ideal for the kind of pain relief you seem to be seeking for relatively immediate comfort, though.
-

[ 11-19-2018, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Other things that come to mind to help relieve pain, that can be used concurrently with direct infection action -

in addition the right kind and right consistent dose of magnesium include:

Turmeric (or if your gallbladder is good its stronger extract Curcumin) . . . Stinging Nettle LEAF . . .

Gotu Kola . . . Salvia m. (either a top choice for starters as both work on various levels. Both can calm the nervous systems without drowsiness, too. Usually a plus).
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
The second name matters greatly here. There is a drug like "salvia" that is floating around out in the world of back street drugs but it is not at all the same thing. Just be careful to get this one:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/30956?#000000

SALVIA miltiorrhiza LINKS

Salvia miltiorrhiza is also called Dan Shen or Danshen

LymeToo has posted this: Just in case it matters to your body, (does to mine) .. Turmeric is high in saliclylates, curcumin is low.

From: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson, et.al.)

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/turmeric-root-curcuma-longa.html

TURMERIC ROOT (Curcuma longa)

Excerpt:

. . . SAFETY ISSUES: Due to mucin-reducing effects, do not use the concentrated extract (curcumin) or oil in high doses, especially if you have bile duct obstruction, gall stones, or stomach ulcers. Use turmeric as a spice freely. . . .
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/32567?#000000

GOTU KOLA - Informational Links Set

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=031228;p=0

STINGING NETTLE LEAF (not root - root is for a different condition) -

LINKS set

The herb, STINGING NETTLE may serve to compensate for the reaction by calming the the cytokine storm that is often part of a herx reaction. Should also help with the kind of cytokine reaction to the flu.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Be sure to avoid all artificial sweeteners & food additives. They can cause so much pain.

&

Check your SHOES to be sure you have excellent arch and foot support with every step. Avoid going barefoot - other than in the shower and to sleep, of course.

Avoid slipper or flip flops around the house as they can make all matters worse. If your feet are not properly aligned & supported this will affect every other joint, fiber, nerve in your body.

.6pm is Zappos "bargain basement" so to speak with pretty good prices. They do not have free returns, though as Zappos does (but their prices are higher).

You can study some of the styles and call local shoe stores (locally owned, hopefully) to inquire as to avail.

Vionic is one particular shoe brand that has a wonderful thick foot bed. But avoid the high heels and go for a loafer style. Even their good foot bed sandals are not the best as the foot can slide and twist with each step if the shoe is not well tailored on the foot.

I do not recommend Birkenstock, though, as they tip the ankle back and can stress some knees.

https://www.vionicshoes.com/supportive-technology

VIONIC home website - explains the technology

https://www.6pm.com/b/vionic/brand/3109

VIONIC at 6pm -- they have a nice moccasin and a low back clog that would be nice for home wear.

https://www.zappos.com/c/vionic

VIONIC at Zappos

https://www.theinsolestore.com/

The INSOLE STORE - best to have a podiatrist recommend, though a good look here at various "models"

Other styles that offer good support can often by found by search on various shoe sites for "plantar fasciitis" a condition that requires excellent foot bed structure.

If at all possible though, first see a good podiatrist and take in the shoes you already have. They need to see how you walk, the specifics of your feet, legs, etc.

You can ask if you need some tutoring for how to best walk, too.

I cannot express strongly enough how much this can matter. It's amazing and refreshing to have good & proper support for feet.
-

[ 11-19-2018, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

6Hypnone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47629

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6Hypnone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I responded to this but I see it didn't post. Grrrr!

Yes I know addressing the cause is most important. Unfortunately my docs don't know it. It's all maybes. Maybe it's lyme, no maybe it's mycoplasma, or maybe it's mitochondrial. They don't think I have Bart but I dunno if I agree. Testing is unreliable so I can't do that. Anythung I've taken hasn't helped yet. Eg curcumin, bcq, bs, my lyme killers,....
Tho I go very slow working up.

I at least want to get rid of the symptoms. This has gone on too long and I'm sick of being anxious and scared daily. It's the reason I applied for disability.

I do have an LLND. Since may 2016 in WI.
I have and have read buhners book and why can't I get better. Tho he seems way too focused on tons of abx.
My LLND isn't very famiar w buhner. She uses another doc who's name escapes me.

According to Dr Rawls, he thinks testing isn't necessary if treating herbally. That they cover everything. My doc usually says she treats for everything. Tho I know I'm not treating for parasites.

I mentioned those herbs to my regular ND, not a Lyme doc, and he sees no issue but said it's not what he would've thought of for pain. I trust your recs but are they specific for nerve things?

I have seen 2 podiatrists and 1 saw some inflammation via ultrasound, one didn't. The one that dudnt was more recent and supposedly one of the best. He saw I have low arches and no fat padding.
I've gotten supportive shoes and inserts.

My lyme doc wants to also retest for lyme to see where it's at.

Posts: 606 | From sw suburbs of chicago, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, the items I posted are specific to help support issues around nerve tissue / circulation / inflammation.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement