LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » JOAN OF ARCADIA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JOAN OF ARCADIA
Just Julie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1119

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, I just watched this show for the very first time just now, because I saw the post about it being about Lyme.

I must say that during the entire show, which I already knew had a Christian aspect to it, I was just amazed at how they tied Joan's hallucinations to believing in God.

I am a Christian, and became a believer in high school. Probably at about this JOan characters age, from what I could guess from just this episode, and because I could relate to her so well, and obviously because I've got Lyme, and could have had it for a very long time, I was almost in tears at the end of the show.

I just could cry. Whoever wrote this episode wove the subject of believing in God, to having hallucinations from being bit and getting Lymed (they showed a rash on Joan's leg at the beginning of the episode). The two did not intertwine very easily, at least not to me, and I'm not in a big brain fog right now, or having trouble following things or thoughts, yet I was just trying to get my mind around their writing this JOan's character coming out of her "hallucinatory stage" at the end of the show and then announcing that "God wasn't real" to her mother, who was having her own crisis of belief in God at the same time Joan was having her crisis of belief, but having hers tied into Lyme playing games with her mind, and seeing people she knew from somewhere else.

I guess I personally believe that God does not send hallucinations in the forms of people that you may believe are evil or otherwise, to give us the message(s) that He wants us to have.

So, this episode of Joan of Arcadia has been a real mind bender for me, and I do not have a clue if any people out there will tie in their own weird symptoms that may be caused by their own undiagnosed Lyme disease, to what they say and heard on this show.

Not saying that it's not believable, what the wrote and how they wrote it into this show, but it was sure not clear to me, and I'm a believer, have been for a long time, and I have Lyme, and have had it for a very long time.

Maybe someone else out there saw this message and it made sense to them, but not this Lymie who also happens to be a Christian.

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you kind of had to watch the show before this episode to understand what was going on i think. all season the premise was that god would see and speak with god in the form of regular people around her.

these regular people would ask her to do things in her life that would inevitably test her faith somewhat but in the end would restore it while she was in turn doing something worthwhile and enlightening for someone or a group of people.

for example. one episode 'god', I think came to her like a janitor in this episode suggested she 'build' a big , huge boat in her bedroom. she knew nothing of building, never mind a boat...and she argued with 'god ' about doing this. She was typical teenager about it. 'god' said to build it, she'd understand. So she did. She bacame obscessed with it..it was huge..it was like the size of her room...she found she was good at it. she was spending every waking moment building this boat...every time she was home that's what she was doing....as an audience we were led to believe she had 'found her calling 'so to speak, adn that's what the episode was about..no, it wasn't. in the background of hte episode..the father and son hadn't been getting along..their reltionship had been strained since the son had gotten paralyzed. the son had n't come to terms with it yet, and thought his 'old life' was over, so he had the 'right' to burn his dad's book of old pics of football memorabilia of his son etc...his dad flipped and said it was his ..yada yada, and sometiems memories are a good thing.etc...both were at a crossroads of understanding where the other was. this feud was the underlying current through the whole episode.

here's joan still building this damn boat. but towards the end of theshow she was tired of it. she was stuck..coudlnt' build another piece...didn't want to.couln't envision it anymore...spoke with god..he said, take a day off,and think about it..but don't wreck it..continue it tomororw.

joan worried about it, and thought what she should do with it..son happended to be wheeling by in his wheelchair while joan was at schoool and went into her room , and starting tickering with it..starting to put pieces together...enjoyingdoing something with his hands...(only legs paralyzed )...dad comes home adn goes in adn starts to help....they start working on this boat togther...bonding thing.goes on for hours..working on this boat...

joan comes home adn looks in her bedroom and tht's how the show ends. God never tells her her mission in that show was that the building of the boat wasnt' for her, but to help bring her father and brohter back together, but she knows it, and the audience knows it...

get it? and this is how hte whole season goes, one show at a time...it very spiritual..done very lovely every time..this last show was a gobbled mess because of the lyme, but I think it'll straighton out next year and the same premise will be baack...the whole show is based upon it...it's a great show..well done.

I really enjoy it.

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dulcamara
Member # 5691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dulcamara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading discussions of this episode on another forum, and the consensus is that Joan's previous interactions with God will not turn out to be hallucinations, only some of the visions she saw during her illness. I wouldn't agonize about this, Just Julie.

If this is the first time you've ever watched the show it's not surpising that you are confused. This was an uncharacteristic episode. I'm sure next year will be about Joan struggling with her faith and then regaining it.

[This message has been edited by dulcamara (edited 22 May 2004).]

Posts: 78 | From Northeastern USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa thank you for such a great briefing on past episodes, and the premise that was tied to this last show! It helped me quite a bit reading what you wrote. It's rather strange, I've heard about this show for a long time, yet never felt drawn to watch it, in part I think, because I do not watch much, if any, t.v. and again because I did not know if the Christian aspect of it was real or not.

But, it sounds like a show I would really enjoy, and perhaps get both my sons to want to watch with me, given the ages of the people on the show.

The Lyme angle, well, that may or may not come up again, but that draws me right off the bat, because when it comes to getting the message out, I think that any form it comes in, if done right, is something I want to get a hold of.

You did a great job of summarizing and tying this in for me Lisa, thanks again. And Dulcamara, I appreciate your input too!
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the show..and so does my teenage daughter...joan can be quite bratty at times, like all teenagers, but the family aspect is always a good message in the show , and I like the overall themes they portray..not real religious,which we're not, but rather spiritual. they make you think and rethink about your own life and the part you play in it, however small.

I think it's a great family show.

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the pro's are that it sent a (somewhat distorted) message that lyme is a really serious disease that can really f up your life. the con's are it was a completely distorted view of lyme. The rash.... now really do they itch violently months after the bite? Is it possible to have severe hallicunitaions and not have ANY other symptoms, like fatigue, fever, brain fog? She was in the advanced chemistry class.
On the whole, anything that raises awareness is good. Maybe our friends who know we have that "lyme thing" will now ask us questions.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement