LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for Smokey........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for Smokey........
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but I read on a one of your posts that you are on Diluadid injectables.

What exactly is this? I am formilar with the drug...I had to take it for a while....I just never heard of injectables before?

Did your llmd perscribe this? I am or was on a slow release morphine pill but I got migrans from them.

They were so bad I had to go to the er (I HATE THE ER) for iv shots of diluadid. It's the only thing that works.

and even after 4 shots of it I went home and once it wore off my migrain came back full force.

the vommiting and the whole nine yards Awful!!! Anyway....hope you don't mind me being nosey

Jamie

------------------

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.........hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll give it one more try ...........

------------------

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening Guiney,

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here...

We haven't seen much of our beautiful bear recently.
She has been in a bad way herself, and sadly, her niece recently passed away...

I am sorry about your migraine problems...this was a persistent symptom for me as well for many years, so I know how debilitating they can become.

I can't offer any personal information on dilaudid injections...but here is some info from the Costco pharmacy site:

-----------------------------------
Hydromorphone injection

What does hydromorphone injection do?
HYDROMORPHONE (Dilaudid(R)) relieves moderate to severe pain. Hydromorphone may be used to control pain following surgery, child birth, and other procedures. Hydromorphone may also be used to treat pain associated with cancer, heart attacks, sickle cell disease and other medical conditions. Federal law prohibits the transfer of hydromorphone to any person other than the patient for whom it was prescribed. Do not share this medicine with anyone else. Generic hydromorphone injections are available.

What should my health care professional know before I receive hydromorphone?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
* diarrhea
* head injury
* heart disease
* intestinal disease
* liver disease
* lung disease, asthma or breathing problems
* prostate trouble
* seizures
* an allergic or unusual reaction to hydromorphone, codeine, morphine, other medicines, sulfites, latex, foods, dyes, or preservatives
* pregnant or trying to get pregnant
* breast-feeding

How should I use this medicine?
Hydromorphone is for injection into a muscle, vein, or under the skin. It can also be given as an epidural injection. It may be given by a health-care professional in a hospital or clinic setting or you may be given a special pump to infuse the hydromorphone at home. You will be given special instructions for the pump by your prescriber or health care professional. Do not share this medicine with any one.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.

What other medicines can interact with hydromorphone?
* medicines for high blood pressure
* medicines for seizures
Because hydromorphone causes drowsiness, other medicines that also cause drowsiness may increase this effect of hydromorphone. Some medicines that cause drowsiness are:
* alcohol and alcohol containing medicines
* barbiturates such as phenobarbital
* certain antidepressants and tranquilizers
* muscle relaxants
* certain antihistamines used in cold medicines

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from receiving hydromorphone?
Some side effects can be eased if you lie down after taking your medicine.
Rare or uncommon:
* cold, clammy skin
* difficulty breathing, wheezing
* irregular heartbeat, palpitations
* seizures
* severe rash
* unusual weakness
More common:
* confusion
* lightheadedness or fainting spells
* nervousness or restlessness
* difficutly passing urine

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
* blurred vision
* constipation
* drowsiness, dizziness
* flushing
* dry mouth
* headache
* nausea, vomiting,
* pinpoint pupils

What do I need to watch for while I take hydromorphone?
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your pain does not go away, if it gets worse or it you have a new or different type of pain.

Use exactly as directed by your prescriber or health care professional. If you are taking hydromorphone on a regular basis, do not suddenly stop taking it. Your body becomes used to the hydromorphone and when you suddenly stop taking it, you may develop a severe reaction. This DOES NOT mean you are "addicted" to hydromorphone. Addiction is a behavior related to getting and using a drug for a non-medical reason. If you have pain, you have a medical reason to take pain medicine such as hydromorphone to control your pain.

You may get drowsy or dizzy when you first start taking hydromorphone or change doses. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how hydromorphone affects you. Stand or sit up slowly, this reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. These effects may be worse if you are an older patient. The drowsiness should decrease after taking hydromorphone for a couple of days. If you have not slept because of your pain, you may sleep more the first few days your pain is controlled to catch-up on missed sleep.

Be careful taking other medicines which may also make you tired. This effect may be worse when taking these medicines with hydromorphone. Alcohol can increase possible drowsiness, dizziness, confusion and affect your breathing. Avoid alcohol while taking hydromorphone.

Hydromorphone will cause constipation. Make sure to take a laxative and/or a stool softener while taking hydromorphone. Try to have a bowel movement every 2--3 days, at least. If you do not have a bowel movement for 3 days or more call your prescriber or health care professional. They may recommend using an enema or suppository to help you move your bowels.

Your mouth may get dry. Drinking plenty of water, chewing sugarless gum or sucking on hard candy may help to relieve dry mouth symptoms. Have regular dental checks.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking hydromorphone.

Rarely, hydromorphone may cause you to have hallucinations (to see things that are not really there) or cause your legs or arms to "jerk" or have spasms. If you experience these effects, call your prescriber or health care professional.

-----------------------------------------

What has finally worked for me is actually a glaucoma med, Methazolamide, a sub for Neptazane.

In the past, I have also tried Topamax, Diamox, and Zonegran. Each worked some for a very short period of time.

When the occasional headache pops up now, I add in an Excedrin Migraine...and that seems to be knocking them back quite well.

You may wish to talk with your LLMD about a few of these choices if you haven't given them a try.

My best,
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Melanie, thank you sooo much for this info. seems a little dangerous though. I'll talk to my llmd about some of the stuff you mentioned.

I'm not familiar with any of them, thanx again, Jamie

------------------

Smokey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jamie

Sorry I didn't see your post right away, I'm not on here as often as I use to be.

I use the term injectable basicly refering to meds that are not oral or patches.

It sounds like you are familar with Dilaudid, I was just getting so many headaches so often that I was being admitted into the hospital way to often. Believe me, we had tried every med out there, migraine and otherwise. I had been on Morphine for so long that it quit working.

My LLMD is the one prescribing it now. I started out getting IM shots that my husband would give me, but there were many times that he was at work and I needed a shot. I have a Groshong Central Line, so after talking to my LLMD we decided to start using it through my line when I needed to. Its nice to get that immediate relief. Not waiting in an ER for however long only getting worse. I have to be real careful because it can cause rebound headaches.

My insurance company does not pay for it. It costs about $45.00 for 30 carpujects of 4mg injections. I also take Zofran for nausea and Topomax and I am on Bicillin-LA as well as some other things.

I hoped this helped some. I know its no fun having these horrible headaches, I hope you can get some relief soon, I think the key is finding a Dr. who is forward thinking, familar with and not afraid to prescribe the right amount of medication for the amount of pain you are in.

Thanks Melanie, for jumping in and answering the post when I wasn't around. We are actually contemplating a move. Maybe to Angel Island State Park, we have been busy with trips down to the Island. My husband is taking the Superintendent postion there, it will be pretty weird to take a ferry to get home. This is such a wonderful opportunity, I don't know many people who get to live in the middle of San Francisco Bay.

Best Wishes
Cindy

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited 22 June 2004).]

Posts: 906 | From San Francisco Bay | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Thank you Smokey for the info. I very much so have migrains. I visit the ER way to much!I had my first apt. with a doc. for disability,

and he asked me how many times had I visited the ER in the last 6 months- I told him in the last month I'd been there 4 times already

twice in an ambulance-JUST FOR MIGRAINS!!!! Could you tell me what you started with besides morphine? Morphine does nothing for me anymore too.

I have morphine pills now and they do nothing!!!! I once had liquid morphine and that seemed to help for about a week then it just stopped working.

Anyway dilaudid seems to be the only thing that helps my migrains and severe pain. It seems to last a little longer too than morphine and demmerall(I think I missed spelled that )

Anyway, if you could tell me what you started off with and what led you to these shots and how your doctor came about with this I'd be forever greatful!!!!

Jamie

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement