LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cognitive problems and plaques

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cognitive problems and plaques
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had some minor cognitive problems mainly short term memory. I had an MRI and everything was normal. My doctor seem to think even after positive PCR tests that it wasn't possible that Lyme was causing this. He told me if Lyme was causing the cognitive problems there would be plaques on the brain. He thought it was something else and asked me about if I have had an HIV test. Told him a few years ago and there is really no reason to get another, but I did anyway to rule that out. The test was negative. My question is can Lyme cause these problems without plaques?
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corgilla
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corgilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

In short, YES.

Your doctor does not sound Lyme Literate. I spent 2.5 years seeing a "lyme treating" physician and paid for it not in dollars but in strife.

Find a Lyme Literate MD as soon as possible. It is worth the money.

By my second visit to my LLMD (started there in April) I was feeling better for the first time in 13 years. I was fighting Lyme for 2.5 years and was really in need of treatment for Babesia.

Good Luck,

Corgilla

Posts: 694 | From PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am seeing a LLMD in NC.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has had 3 MRIs over the past 16 years. Once when he was moderately cognitively impaired and having seizures; once when the cognitive impairment was pretty severe, no seizures, and once, recently, when he was somewhat cognitively impaired (brain fog, no memory) and completely fatigued.

No plaques, ever. MRI was perfect. Yet bloodwork and sx strongly indicate active Lyme disease; also sx and response to treatment indicate babesia and bartonella.

Here are some articles by Bransfield on Neuropsychiatric Lyme and on Lyme Neuroborelliosis.

Here's the classic from Fallon on Neuropsychiatric Lyme

These guys do not focus on plaque formation at all. There is a more recent paper by Fallon, I think? that does discuss the very high percentage of neurolyme patients that have low/abnormal blood flow through the brain. This is identified by SPECT scan.

Bransfield says: "Although it is clear that Bb. causes considerable neural dysfunction, the exact pathophysiological process is a subject of current research.

Proposed pathological mechanisms which contribute to the neural dysfunction associated with LN include vasculitis, direct cell penetration, toxin release, cytokine effects, inflammation and excitotoxicity mediated by quinolinic acid and kynurenine (14)."

For us, Babesia and Bartonella seem to have played as big a part in cognitive dysfunction as LD. Doesn't sound as if that's what your MD is saying, but it might be? Need to clarify that with him?

Like Corgilla, I'm concerned that the guy you're seeing does not know whereof he speaks.

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

The next step to treat Babs. I had a negative test but I guess that doesn't mean too much. I have only made minor improvements on abx so far. I have excessive sweating especially when doing little activity. My temperature fluctuates in the 96-97 and then 99-100 range. These and some other symptoms I have could be babs symptoms.

I have heard many people say that after a year of treatment with little change after babs treatment they improved dramatically.

TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your doc quacks.

You dont have to have plaques on the brain. Good god, then we all would. Thats like saying everyone that lives should all weigh the same.

You probably have babs=sweating. If youre not going anywhere in your treatment, consider a coinfection.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jpoppeck
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the Lyme effecting your short term memory.....sorry but your doctor was WRONG!!

Joan

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With positive PCR's and cognitive symptoms?

You need us to help you find an LLMD.

He has quacks on the brain!

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

This surprises me as I see the same LLMD and have heard the opposite. I have fairly advanced neuro Lyme and have major cognitive problems. The cognitive problems are what keep me from working at my usual occupation. All of these have been attributed to Lyme. I have a normal MRI. But a neuropsychological eval showed "classic" deficits as a result of Lyme disease, according to the neuropsychologist. Do a search, plug in "Lyme and neuropsychological" and you will get a huge list of resources. The following link is my favorite as it describes me exactly:
http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/rissenberg.html

If you really want to know what your cognitive functioning is, consider having a neuropsychological eval. Just make sure the neuropsychologist knows about Lyme and it's effects.

I also have Babs, now confirmed by a positive test, and this is apparently chronic at this point. But, I went a long time with this untreated as initial testing was neg. If the Babs treatment helps you after a month or so, continue it. This is not easily treated. When I was treated early in the treatment process, I felt so much better. But then relapsed badly. But then went untreated for along while. I felt that if I had continued treatment way back when I was initially treated "just in case" I would be in a whole different boat now. Your symptoms sure sound like Babs. Have you considered the FISH test?

I started Babs treatment last fall, and improved signicantly. Then stopped treatment after a few months, and relased again. A repeat test was positive. So don't know where this is headed. Morale of the story is don't just treat this a short time if you see improvement. Keep at it. That will give you the best shot at beating it.

I personally think that having Babs and Lyme really complicates the entire clinical picture. But, IMO, having both gives you more potential for severe cognitive dysfunction.

Good luck.

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverrunVA
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
borrelia bergdorferi makes neuro toxic lipids. These can get into all systems it seems. Brain fog seems to be a common symptom. As the neuro toxins inflitrate various systems, the immune system is put under stress. My theory is that diseases that you are genetically pre-disposed to are triggered by the immune system stress. There are over 300 immune system diseases that have been linked to Lyme.

------------------
Riverrun in VA

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement