LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » horrible itching

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: horrible itching
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning all,
I am still struggling along trying to take biaxin XL, and still herxing when I get up to full dosage. The vertigo is just horrifc, but a new symptom is also driving me to distraction and I was wondering if anyone else ever had it.

I have one place on the bottom of my foot (the leg where the rash was) that itches uncontrollably. I feel like I am going to claw out the entire bottom of my foot and it never stops.

What is that and is there anything one can do about it. I have finally got a positive lab for babesia, other tests are equvical, although do not have dot blot results yet.

Also has anyone just not been able to take meds because of continal herxing and never getting beyond it. My liver function is normal as well as my immune system, according to J. Clinic.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lenny777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lenny777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have an itch like that if I take a hot rag, as hot as you can stand it(don't want to scald yourself), and place it on the itchy spot. It gives temporary relief.
Posts: 635 | From Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,Lymelady

I itched so bad from an abx. my doc. told me to try benadryl. It helped ALOT.

But after 2wks of itching so bad and skin was hurt so bad from scratching

My llmd put me on something else

If you do a search under itching you'll find you aen't alone. There are some good suggestions too.
Hope that helps

------------------

[This message has been edited by guiney (edited 19 October 2004).]

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can still find any
jewelweed around, you might try crushing it and rubbing it on the itchiest places. With some antibiotic combis, the sun-even a little- can be very irritating, too. (Jewelweed grows near creeks, in woods, usually)
How much 'biaxin' are you taking? Is it in combination with anything else?
The itching could be part of a "herx", too. I hope you get relief soon!
DaveS

[This message has been edited by HaplyCarlessdave (edited 19 October 2004).]

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymelady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking 1000 mgs a day, also started artesminin (sp) recommended by my holistic doc said it alone cured him of babesia in four months.

What is so discouraging is never making any progress at all, just herxing and herxing until I have to quit meds to get some relief.

My holistic doc wants to treat me with various herbs, one being venus flytrap, because he thinks antibiotics ultimately do not work and do lots of damage to your system.

He has a point in that millions of people walk around with dormant lyme disease and do ok. I would be happy to get back to that state in that I am 60 and will probably never get rid of it altogether.

This vertigo is no intense however that I feel I must continue on antibiotics or I will never have a life again.

I have been sick as a dog ever since starting antibiotics july 29, much worse than previous to beginning meds, when vertigo was horrible but nothing like it is now. No progress in two months.

All my lab work from J. Clinic was normal except babesia titer. I go back Nov. 1, and will have to stop meds in order to be able to get there on plane.

Thanks for response and suggestions.
Lymelady

Posts: 484 | From Fredericksburg, Va USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vandeb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vandeb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymelady my sympathies and prayers are with you.....I'm struggling to find the right abx that works for me....I tried Doxy and did wonderful for about 6 months.....herxed for 4 days.....

tried flagyl and then biaxin and was horribly sick.......doc said possibly herxing a little but mostly that my body couldn't tolerate either of them......

Friday I will start zithromax......am praying something oral will work....just can't make myself do the iv yet....however if no good results I won't have a choice....

any experiences with different abx? why can't I go back on Doxy? hope you get the itching stopped.......it's very frustrating trying to find what works....today I'm at my wits end.......

------------------
Debbie V.

Posts: 125 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking some Benadryl might help before you take your abx might help. I too broke out in an unbelievable rash when I first started Rifampin. I even had to go off it for about a week because my skin was on fire. Once the rash cooled off, my LLMD had me slowly up my dosage until I reached full dosage.

Did you just dive right in? Maybe a day or two break might be what you need? (of course, check with your doctor).

Are you taking Milk Thistle to help flush your system? How about your water intake?

I know this is the worst time for you right now, but you should be thankful for one thing - you still have an immune system!!! After 9 yrs without treatment, I still don't have mine back.

Since you mentioned you're seeing holistic person, here's something my LLMD has had me (and most of her patients) using for the last 4 mos. to help my body slowly detox (safely, I might add). www.podipatch.com. They've made a significant difference in my quality of life and I will be going off abx in the next few weeks.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6207

Thanks for tip
Do these patches help with herxing?

I have tried everything, slow ramping, sliver by sliver and then when I hit full dosage, it begins again. Happened the same with doxy.

I drink lots of water and even do coffee enemas to help detox, which has cleared up my irritable bowel syndrome which I had had for 20 years, but does not help the herx.

Anyway I would be interested to know if these patches do help detox and help with herxes, do they help your symptoms calm down?

Thanks,
Lymelady

krazykt1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazykt1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymelady, I too have been herxing since starting minocycline Aug 3. Vertigo was a major sx before tx and is even worse now.

I think (for me) a big part of my dizziness is babs. I'm going to start artemisinin in a couple weeks.According to my info 2+ months of herxing is not uncommon. hang in!

Posts: 740 | From BC Canada | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 6 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The patches MOST CERTAINLY DO HELP ALMOST COMPLETELY ELIMINATE HERXES!!! Seriously...
Brain fog lifts in about a week.

When I read back through my symptom log, I see that my big scary herx symptoms stopped when I started the patches. It was the primary reason why my LLMD put me on them - to stop the herxes.

I really urge everyone to try them for at least 30 days if they can afford to. I plan on continuing use until they stop oozing black with stuff every morning (which hasn't happened yet, but they're finally lightening up in color, which is a good thing). Gigi had a great post up a few months ago about the healing effects of detox patches, but I have it saved on my other pc.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement