LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Troll alert

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Troll alert
TheCrimeOfLyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe so. Heads up
Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifewithlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifewithlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I agree...
Posts: 588 | From Wallingford, CT USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tykee
Member # 2285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tykee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lifewithlyme:
...I agree...

I agree too, I hardly ever post so was afraid to start this thread Wednesday night.

Tykee

Posts: 89 | From South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TROLL? please point him/her out..don't feel well today..maybe alitle hell razing will help me feel beter...good therapy..gary

------------------

Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troll Alert????????? I have seen these posts before and they disturb and baffle me. Are they just for the "in click" who know ALL or what.

The tone is snide and and from my unknowing point of view I find them disturbing. Are only certain people and opinions wanted here?

I am unable to read all the posts so dont know what is going on under the surface but the surface has an ugly troll face in these posts and I dont see what they have to do with lyme.

They make me wonder if I am not wanted.

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always the last to know! I think I'll just lurk for awhile.

Actually I've dicovered the joys, after the frustration of setting up an account and figuring it out, EBAY. I'm selling, I'm buying, I'm watching. It must mean I'm getting well.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjtighe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjtighe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I get the gist of troll alert. I've been wondering about some posts recently as I have been posting a few items. Some of the posts seem angry and dogmatic. Am I on the right tract?

tj

Posts: 296 | From Portland, OR | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't we just ignore a troll and not announce it to the the entire board??

The ones who've been around awhile know by now not to respond to a troll. I guess it's really obvious to them.

Newer posters don't normally reply anyhow to negative, trollish posts...and if they do, so what?? What possible harm could it do for a new poster, trying his or her hand at giving some advise or sympathy, to respond to a troll? How bout this - when less-seasoned posters (or caught-off-guard "old timers") get caught up conversing with a troll ,then someone should email them privately to say, pssst, this person may be a troll. Lets try to cut down on the paranoia factor that happens each time someone spots a troll.

By the way, there was a troll hanging around when I first began here, and in my paranoid lyme state I agonized that everyone thought it was me !!! (after all I am highly intelligent )

But JEESH it still disturbes me as much as it does others. I'm getting tired of new people emailing me asking if I think others here think theyre the troll...it makes all but a very few of us edgey and paranoid.

Ok that's all

I have no idea who this latest troll is...

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sofy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5721

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to have hit the same nerve with others and it is-------------

Which is more disturbing to readers. The troll posts or the posts claiming a troll is roaming the halls????????

Since I have never seen or recognized a troll post for me its the troll warning posts. Definately disconcerting for newer people not in the "in loop"

Posts: 561 | From connecticut | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately...troll alerts are needed.

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyhawk
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sofy. I am a new kid on the block and apparently also not in the "know".

I did not have the "foggiest" notion what this kind of post meant and am still uncertain.

Where I originally come from (that would be Chicago) we call a spade a spade, so if someone has a ? about someones motives can't we just be up front adults and ask?

If someone were questioning my motives I would expect them to be candid and ask me. Of course I understand that one will never be able to weed out all those who only want to harm but sometimes you just gotta take a chance. I took one by coming to this forum, I trusted that people would be understanding because we are all in the same boat and need to help each other and I want to do my part.

Again, I ask Please Post the Rules so that NEW people can understand what they can and can not do in this forum. I have asked once already.

I apologize in advance for any "hurt feelings" this may cause but it is truly disconcerting to see this "Troll Alert" and not have a clue. I do believe most of us only want and need a little bit of a shoulder to cry on occasionally and as much info as we can get through the fastest means possible.

Thank you for your attention,
ladyhawk

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Newbies,

Please...you have NOT seen the damage a troll can do....as it has in the past.

Those that have been here long enough see them occassionally and alert people...because they
don't want someone being "turned -off", or given....quite literally...life threatening advice.

In one case a troll diguised as New York City Police Officer...invited an 8 year old girl to meet him for advice.

Trust us who have been here for a LONG time......you WANT troll alerts.

Trout

------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
Iowa Lyme Disease Assoc.
www.ildf.info

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree that trolls are destructive. No question there are groups, individuals, camps of people who would like this incredibly informative board shut down and gone....and,if I'm correct, THOSE are the trolls necessary to identify?

What trolls ARENT: our regular, sick lyme posters who happen to pick on or fight with one another or disagree, even strongly, with one another. It would be abnormal for hundreds of sick people to all love one other and agree on things - this doesnt happen off line or on line - so while annoying for the rest of us, intraboard fighting does happen. (this paragraph is for you tj, to help you understand better what a troll is or isn't. For ex. I used to think a troll was anyone who happens to be in a bad mood. Now I know that's not it)

But for the truely dangerous trolls out there, the REALLY dangerous trolls out there who want to catch us dispensing medical advice without a licence (for example), why don't troll spotter do this: jump into the post and come right out and confront the person maybe like this:

"Hey, you're a troll and I know it, get off this board, (TrollsUserName) !

Now, just seeing "troll alert" or "troll among us, heads up", etc., tells most of us NOTHING! If one is so confident there is a dangerous troll, expose him fully!

I'm not in a good mood today, and this post was directed at noone...I've just always wondered why we don't have the nerve or whatever to "confront" the troll right away - you know, come right out and say "troll alert - its so and so".

Oh, we're NOT sure if it's a troll or not?? Then say nothing until we're sure - we're silencing a lot of potential helpers with paranoia.

Yes, I agree many would like to close down lymenet for good, I agree with the idea, just not the execution.

Leslie

Editing to say that I'm not picking on you crimeoflyme. Others have posted similar troll alert warnings in the past. It's just there are so many new people here lately that I anticipated that a bunch would be confused by this post. I was hoping some of the posters more experienced than I could elaborate, give examples, inform newbies with specifics. Thanks, troutscout, for specifics, I don't know many, though I do realize that we strongly need to protect this site and our posters.

[This message has been edited by fish (edited 06 November 2004).]

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyhawk
Unregistered

Dear Troutscout,
Thank you for clueing me in on the "danger" of these "trolls". It appears by the number of posts I see next your name that you have been around long enough to know the deal with them.

I would only ask once again for the "RULES". I do not know them and can't understand if they are unwritten or that I am just plain stupid, which could also be the case.

How do we know someone is a "troll", what can and can not be posted, etc.....

I really do not wish to do something unintentionally that is stupid.

If it is not a good idea to post a reply with these rules I have an email address.

Thank you,
ladyhawk

troutscout
Member # 3121

Lady Hawk,

Don't worry about 'the rules' relax.

If someone thought that you were THE troll...you would have been contacted directly by an administrator of the board....additionally.....

Trolls are often 'experts' at making sure that they don't break the rules.

Many long time members here...have learned to completely ignore a suspected poster when they are found.

Like a bully.....they are fed by your emotions...without responses..they can't upset you...see?

Trout

guiney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4550

Icon 14 posted      Profile for guiney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
troutscout, great job at explaining the importance of a troll alert! it's a shame we have to worry and confuse the newbies when thay see a "troll alert" post.

But the reality is- they are dangerous! For those of us that have been around a while have to alert each other so we can keep an eye sort of speak

on what they do say to a newbie. So we can straighten the damage out!!!!Make sure that person does get the right information!!!

Jamie

------------------

Posts: 504 | From US | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyhawk
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by troutscout:
Lady Hawk,

Don't worry about 'the rules' relax.

Roger that, I will remain rule stupid, it seems to be safe.

If someone thought that you were THE troll...you would have been contacted directly by an administrator of the board....additionally.....

Didn't think anyone thought I was, I was more concerned about not screwing something up accidentally!

Trolls are often 'experts' at making sure that they don't break the rules.

OK, I'm kinda slow on the uptake these days, please bear with me..

Many long time members here...have learned to completely ignore a suspected poster when they are found.

I leave this job then to those who know.

Like a bully.....they are fed by your emotions...without responses..they can't upset you...see?

Thank ya much, gotcha!

Trout

MADDOG
Member # 18

Icon 10 posted      Profile for MADDOG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha,That troll is allways fun for awhile.The way to tell is he wrights books instead of a post.Then makes it all very legal looking.Then thretons people with legal action for dissagreing with him. MADDOG
Posts: 3996 | From Ohio | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maddog..

You are the best... and 1/2 crazy.

Here is a post that I hope will help others concerend about trolls..

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/028992.html

Ladyhawk..

As for rules..

We have a written set that folks agree to abide by when they sign on as a new member.

They can be reviewed at this site...

http://www.lymenet.org/terms.shtml

We also have an "unwritten" set of rules that we try to go by.

I don't guess we have ever written them out.. but I will try to share a few I would like to see all members follow so this site is comfortable for all to use.

1. We don't use doctor's names on the board unless we have their permission. This is to protect them and us.

2. We try to treat others as family and remember our goal... to help others.

3. We try to keep the topic worded so we would be comfortable when children come here for help.

4. We try to moderate the site ourselves so as not to over stress the folks who provide it for us.

5. "Thank you" and "I am sorry" are appropriate and can't be over used. Manners are to be shared.. and not to be hidden under the rug.

There may be more... but this will give you an idea of what I think they could be if they were written.

If you manage to break a rule... not to worry.

Someone will let you know.

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyhawk
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dear Tincup,

Saw this after I read your troll alert message and wanted to respond.

This below is what I was looking for.

1. We don't use doctor's names on the board unless we have their permission. This is to protect them and us.

2. We try to treat others as family and remember our goal... to help others.

3. We try to keep the topic worded so we would be comfortable when children come here for help.

4. We try to moderate the site ourselves so as not to over stress the folks who provide it for us.

5. "Thank you" and "I am sorry" are appropriate and can't be over used. Manners are to be shared.. and not to be hidden under the rug.

If I seem a bit overzealous about the rule thing I apologize Unfortunately my time in the Army tends to color my vision sometimes.

---If you manage to break a rule... not to worry. Someone will let you know.

Thank you, I would never want to compromise my doc, myself, or anyone else for that matter.

again, I truly appreciate the info and your taking the time to send it,
ladyhawk

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks COL for pointing this troll out, i looked at the post that i figured you were talking about and saw why - glad I didn't waste my time.

Thanks too to Trout for explaining it further. And TC also, I enjoyed reading your post.

I'm glad so many are looking out after us - especially COL even if most people jumped you for it.

Col - as long as you weren't talking about me

[This message has been edited by lymesux (edited 07 November 2004).]

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt finish reading all of these posts, I havent been on in two days and decided to stop after reading just a few of them.

First of all, I DID call the poster out and ask him directly, IN A POST, if he was a troll.

Secondly, if people are going to state that we should just "Scroll on by " troll, etc

then kindly just scroll on by my post! If you dont like the alert, then dont post.

Its just about that simple.

And no, not one of you on here are "the troll"

It was someone selling his services.

Everyone happy now?

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

WHY LYmesux! yes it was you,

you nasty haft a falooting. HAHA

Im just kidding.

As stated, I did "call the troll out"
Havent seen them post since I did, either.

lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you've hurt my feelings

I see that the 'troll' has not posted since you called him out so good for you. I'm not quite sure why people have problems with that though.

You done good!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GEDEN13
Member # 4151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GEDEN13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sic'em jodie!!grrrrrr..lol!....gary
Posts: 1108 | From PA. | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Musta missed that one completely
I thought you were talking about Bruce aka Rally Monkey aka .......

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

whoops

[This message has been edited by lymesux (edited 08 November 2004).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement