LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEW Protocol Starts Monday!!!!! IV Claforan THEN Marshall Protocol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW Protocol Starts Monday!!!!! IV Claforan THEN Marshall Protocol
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 12 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.......lost 12 pounds in the last 8 weeks....went to local MD....Contrast CAT Scan and chest X-Ray negative.
(Although there was a Ghon Complex in my lungs?)

So...switching from orals to PICC LIne Claforan on Monday......will do that for 4 to 6 weeks, and then slam into the Marshall Protocol.

I like this!!!

We'll will knock the load down, and then "go for it".

Also will be tested for hormaones...however, I beleive I would hold off on taking any with MP coming up.

Any comments......on PICC Line
CLaforan
Marshall Protocol

Welcome.

Trout

PS...I am SO excited by this news.

------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
Iowa Lyme Disease Assoc.
www.ildf.info

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am doing the exact same thing! I was supposed to get the PICC line on Monday but I am having incredible right arm pain, so I postponed it for a few days.

My son is starting the MP when his script gets filled. My plan is to get him stablized on the benicar, get my IV Claforan and then start the Marshall Protocol sometime in January.

Wishing you a smooth journey.
Karen

Posts: 1687 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck.
Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesux
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout,

Good luck!!! i wish you the best!

I have no experience with either so I cant comment but I have lost weight and its tough so congrats on that and the chest x-ray being clear!!!

Posts: 799 | From home | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard claforan has a better track record than rocephin. Hope you're one of the ones it works for.

Sounds like a good plan. Do you have the option of staying on the claforan longer if its doing you some good?

I hope you are going to have some time inbetween that and the MP, just to clear out meds for a while.

As far as hormones, it makes sense to wait till after starting the MP. But if you are very far off on things, I'd check them again 6 weeks or so after starting MP.

It looks to me like some people need hormonal supplementation even while on the protocol. If your numbers are still way off after six weeks of MP, you could consider trying adding the most critical ones in.

Good luck!

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duramater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6480

Icon 4 posted      Profile for duramater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did Claforan a twice back in the early 90's. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take copious acidophillus!!! Each time I was on it I got horrid C. diff within 48 hours (whereas I did not with Rocephin, but hey, that gave me gallstones!). Other than that, the med was fine. In any event, your mileage may vary!!
Posts: 689 | From western MA (we say buttER and pizzA) | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymie10/03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6135

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Lymie10/03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is Claforan and the Marshall Plan??

Jenn

Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout, I'm doing Claforan IV as the Rocephin turned my labs upside down. The dosing schedule is a pain, but hopefully the results will outweigh the trouble.
Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! What a deal! sure hope this pushes you over the edge....well, you know what I mean!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great graphic!

Karen...I could not get a PICC line in my left arm. I was told by a nurse who does 6 to 8 PICC lines a day that I most likely had a nerve problem in that arm and she wasn't even going to try.

She put the PICC line back in the other arm but in a different spot than I originally had it.

The arm with the nerve problem is also the arm were I saw the bite with a ring around it??

Ken...glad to hear the good news. Looking forward to following your treatment.

I talk to my LLMD the end of the month. I wonder where he is going to go with me next??

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to ALL.......

I take tons of differebt pro-biotics everyday.....

Taking care of heavy metals daily.....

Taking anti-fungals.....

Addressing Dental Problems also.

Am having salt and chloride issues addressed also.

Ya'll are great.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymie10/03 -- The Marshall Protocol is a new approach to treatment, originally developed for sarcodoisis patients and now being tried by CFS and Lyme patents. It's promising, but it's very very early days and we're just hearing about the early stage responses for LD/TBDs. I sure appreciate hearing the updates from Lymies here and on the MP board.

For more info and a good summary of the MP see http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum3/40.html People on that forum describe their experiences with the MP.

Trout, good luck and keep us posted.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 13 November 2004).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent, best wishes to you, and glad you got some of your other problems out of the way for this big step. Betty G., Iowa

Best wishes to your wife & kids too.

Edited: I can't remember names any more & use wrong one on you but it did start with KE...LOL.

[This message has been edited by bettyg (edited 16 November 2004).]

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout, Is Dr. C prescribing this new protocol taht your starting?

I'm very interested as I seemed, before the Bicillin shots, to have hit a wall as far as treatment goes.

I tried the Marshall and IMO, I really needed more time on the Benicar before starting the Mino. My BP got so low it was dangerous, dagenerously low. So, with my wedding coming up, that was in June, I just jumped off of it and was waiting so see what Dr. C thought about it.

So, when we met in August, he really didn't think that I should be on that protocol. So, as you probably already know, I am currently doing the Bicillin Shots and I believe that in the end, I'll have come out of it with a much greater response than anything I've been on in the past.

But, really just very curious as to if Dr. C prescribed this for you or are you just trying it as I did with using my PCP for the scripts.

Thanks, Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymelighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout, I forgot to ask you:

Is Dr. C. putting you on an oral abx as well as Claforan?

What are you using for chelation and what's your dosing schedule?

Thanks

Posts: 1010 | From Mars | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArizonaLisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArizonaLisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout, good for you. I wanted to tell you something. I had a hard time with claforan this definitely does not happen with everyone. But my liver enzymes skyrocketed and I ended up in the hospital with acute hepatitis - a drug reaction. It was very scary as they were really concerned.

My suggestion is just to make sure that you get your liver enzymes checked every single week while you are on the IV claforan. They should be doing a complete CBC panel on you weekly anyhow. The home health nurse can do it for you. Are you going to have a HH nurse??

GOOD LUCK to you. I know how hard you have struggled the past few years, and i sincerely hope this followed by the Marshall protocol are REALLY going to help you!

I am thinking about the MP too, but I haven't decided yet. I might try ketek instead, the problem is I don't know the cost of that drug and I have no prescription coverage.

THINKING THE BEST FOR YOU TROUTY! I will have you in my prayers!

Lisa in Arizona

Lisa

Posts: 105 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosesisland2000
Member # 2001

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rosesisland2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bumping up in hopes that Troutscout sees the questions a few of us have for him.

Thanks Kent

Rosemary

Posts: 6191 | From Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by troutscout:
Also will be tested for hormaones...however, I beleive I would hold off on taking any with MP coming up.

TroutScout,
You would be very wise to hold off on any kind of HRT while doing the MP. We are seeing a pattern that the folks who have tried to combine any of the so-called "natural" hormone supplements with the MP have been having a lot more trouble adusting to it successfully.

Keep in mind that all of these hormones (with the exception of thyroid or insulin) are steroidal hormones, and so is 1,25-D also. The idea that "vitamin D" is a "vitamin" is a misnomer because it's really a steroidal hormone precursor. That's why these two therapeutic approaches don't work well together.

It's hard as heck to convince the CFIDS docs of this though, or their patients either, because "natural HRT" is such a big fad among most of them right now -- especially followers of Jacob Teitelbaum's "From Fatigued to Fantastic" school of thought.

Choose your choice. One or the other, but not both together please.

Congratulations. You are going to take off like a shooting star soon, my good man.

Here are a few more links about what the MP is all about, for benefit of anyone else who's curious.

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum2/

http://www.marshallprotocol.com/forum32/

Rosemary,
I sincerely hope you decide to give the MP another try now, too, especially since your life has settled back down to normalcy again now. We are finding that timing is critical for success.

The first few weeks can be difficult at first, and getting used to strict avoidance of sun and bright lights is one of the keys to success. At first, it seems pretty daunting, but as soon as you start to feel the benefits, then you become an enthusiastic cave dweller.

Our daughter was quite amused while she was out shopping when a young child came up to her and asked her if she were somebody important, like a movie star or something, because she had on her dark sunglasses and sun hat and neck scarf. She had that chicque(sp?) look of celebrity status, seeking privacy behind her dark glasses.

After you get used to the new lifestyle, it becomes something you do because you WANT to do it, and it no longer seems like such a burden or an inconvenience to do it, because it makes such a noticeable difference in how you feel.

The folks who don't catch onto the necessity for strict sun avoidance, though, don't fare as well. So, be sure you are really well prepared mentally and that you understand everything very thoroughly BEFORE you start, so that you know what to expect, in order to insure a successful start right from the get-go.

PS -- Sorry I've been absent from LymeNet for so long. I got a phone call about TS's topic, and that's why I'm here. I'll donate to the annual LymeNet fund drive, too, before I forget about doing that, so it's good I got that phone call to remind me visit you guys and gals again.

I've been so busy trying to keep up with the MP group that it's been really hard for me to do much else. I'll see the rest of y'all there at the MP website soon, too, I hope.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not commenting at this point as to who is prescribing my latest protocol.

The weekly blood tests are ordered......

DMSA.....every other day..then take 2 week break.

No other abx.

Trout

troutscout
Member # 3121

Well,

The PICC is in and I am taking 2 grams of Claforan 3 times daily at 6am, 2pm, and 10pm...all as an outpatient...what a pain!!!!

I haven't noticed anything yet...however...I did herx on my nightly dosage of artemisinin.

.....I am NOT going to start taking hormones, etc until AFTER I have gone thru the Marshall Protocol....if it is necessary.

Why? Each time I see a failure on the MP...it is someone who either didn't 'restart' or they never made the effort to follow the MP as it is.
(THere are exceptions...such as Rosie)

In otherwords....most of the failures occurred due to non-compliance.

Trout

TX Lyme Mom
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TX Lyme Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosesisland,
Yep, Shelley's absolutely right about the extra salt and drinking lots of water, especially the really good mineral water.

Many CFIDS patients have "hypovolemia" (low blood volume) and this helps to counteract it. No one knew about doing this back when you were the first guinea pig. Now everyone does this and we aren't seeing as many problems of the sort that you had anymore.

Thanks, Shelley, for reminding us about that.

Posts: 4563 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymelighter
Member # 5310

Trout, I'm on the same 3x pr day regimen of Claforan. What a pain in the Arse!
I have an infusion pump and do it myself. The regimen and discipline is wearing on me, but so did the Rocephin.

Tell the LLMD to throw you a fricken' Bone and have the Infusion co. bring you a pump & supplies. I can't imagine schlepping to the Duckpond 3x a day for this! I was lucky that the nursing agency will also do labs, at my kitchen table.

[This message has been edited by Lymelighter (edited 15 November 2004).]

troutscout
Member # 3121

It may interest some here that I have been testing low in both Chloride AND Sodium....check your numbers next time.

I am starting to see patterns here.

The salt cure....MP.....parasitic infections...

In fact...I commented to the nurse tonight..."Hey, I actually feel GREAT...you all are pumping me full of Sodium/Chloride!"

In fact, I have gained 5 lbs today....eating everything in sight...and lovin' it!!!

Lyme Lighter.....I enjoy 'getting out and seeing the public".

Shelley.....Gerolsteiner and Apolinaros have always been at my side...been a secret of mine for many years.(Pre-Lyme dx)

TXMom....a true inspiration and icon.

Have a great night.

Trout

fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout,

Ok, I'm curious after reading your last reply...my sodium and chloride are also always low and I've always wondered about why?

Could you tell me...does this indicate babesia? or lyme? I have lyme but think I don't have babesia. Have/had bartonella too.

I havent been following anything about the MP so I'm sorry if I don't know much. What is the connection with low sodium and cl and tick diseases?

Thanks,
Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

The kidneys control a hormone called Renin that controls this balance.....

It is also a Syndrome called;
Syndrome Of Inappropriate Anti-Diuretic Hormone. (SIADH)

Once again...the hormone thingy!

Now...one thing that allows parasites to live comfortably in beings is a lack of salt (or, so we think).....whether or not this has anything to do with Babs I couldn't tell you.

I just think that the way in which the Marshall Protocol approaches the hormone imbalances, etc is remarkably ingenius...since these have been known as ongoing problems for Lymies.

Hope that helped you...remember I am NOT a DOCTOR. (Although 2 Chiro's and a Local MD call me Doc now.)

Trout

------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
Iowa Lyme Disease Assoc.
www.ildf.info

fish
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Kent,

Now, my research juices are really flowin. I'm going to try to understand MP just in case I relapse in the future and get tired of abx. Good luck with your IV too.

Leslie

Posts: 340 | From Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just curious as to what kind of bait your trout goes for. I have been trying to catch him for a long time and he just doesn't seem interested in my flies or salmon eggs?

Must be a wild, brown trout??

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Trout!,,,er,,,,Doc...

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebrat
Member # 3208

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymebrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Trout....

Wishing you good luck on your new protocol!!!! You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers!

~Missy

Posts: 3154 | From NH , USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chocolat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chocolat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh, TS-haven't been on here in so long that I am late hearing about your journey.

I wish you the very best and hope that you will keep posting step by courageous step.

Blessings to you and your family.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Chocolat....I have a screwed up e-mail addy for you...will you send me an e-mail...so I can get back to you?

Everyone else...well...I am puting on weight...8 pounds since Monday!!!

I think my gut wasn't absorbing the abx.

So........IV Claforan.

Am looking forward to getting on the Marshall Protocol....Shelley.

Thanks,

To ALL of you....Missy, Tutes...all ya'all are great.

Trout

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement