LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Glucose tolerance test anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glucose tolerance test anyone?
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 8 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

Okay, this may be a bit of a vent so bear with me. My new LLMD sent me for a six hour glucose tolerance test which I had done yesterday at the local lab here. I fasted for 12 hours prior to the test, went into the lab at 7:30am, had my baseline blood drawn, drank the glucose drink (which was actually pretty tasty), then had my blood drawn seven more times over the course of the next six hours (every half hour for an hour, then every hour for the remaining five hours). The whole thing was NOT a good experience since I had to stay there in the lab for the whole six hours which was an extremely long day for me. I really can't handle being upright for that long but I managed through it.

Anyway, the combination of the early morning, long day, and not eating gave me a terrible migraine which has since not let up (going on 36 hours straight here). My medicine helps a little for a little while but then it comes back full strength or even worse. I'm upset now because this test seems like extreme overkill (usually glucose tolerance tests are only 3 hours, and only if the baseline glucose test is abnormal which I never had done in the first place). My LLMD didn't discuss the reasons for this test with me beforehand and the fact that it's causing me so much pain and suffering after the fact is just the icing on the cake.

Has anyone else had this test done? What was it looking for? I believe my LLMD is looking to see if I have hypoglycemia but I'm not sure. I don't have any symptoms of hypoglycemia or diabetes (which is the other thing it could be looking for) so I'm kind of confused as to why he wanted the test done in the first place. If it's just to rule something out, it seems like way too much pain and suffering to endure. I see my LLMD tomorrow morning (a very long day for me, especially with my bad headache) so I'll be giving him a piece of my mind and asking A LOT of questions about why he wanted this test (and the others he wanted me to have).

I just hope my headache eventually lets up. My bad ones tend to last at least a week so I'm not looking forward to this next week.

Thanks for listening,
Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, does your LLMD think Hypo is contributing to your symptoms.

Have you seen a dietrician? I wonder if a Hypo diet is worth a try to see how I do? My LLMD wanted me to do the 6 hour test but I don't feel up to it.

He said that Lyme can cause swings in blood sugar and insulin and thus increase symptoms.

[This message has been edited by Foggy (edited 01 December 2004).]

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie!

That can be a really rough test. I did it about a year ago, but only was tested for two hours after the glucose challenge.

Your doctor is looking to see what your curve of response is to the glucose. He could be looking for diabetes OR hypoglycemia. They often go together.

Did he also test your insulin levels? Insulin levels give a much more complet picture. Some have hyperinsulinemia, where the body becomes reisistant to insulin, and has to produce huge amounts before it can control the blood sugar. This would show up in paired insulin/glucose readings.

However, some think that almost everybody would show some signs of hypoglycemia with the glucose challenge. I had a hard enough time getting stabilized after two hours, I think I'd be psychotic after six!

I actually got much more useful information by borrowing my doctor's blood sugar moniter and taking many readings over a week long period. I learned my blood sugar runs too low most of the time, but REALLY takes a dive after consuming carbs.

Just try to stay really consistant in your eating now. That is the best thing to help recover from the test. Even if the headache makes it hard to eat, don't go for too long without something. And drink plenty of fluids.

------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie,

I can't speak to the issue of hypoglycemia. However, as a diabetic I know that most doctors will not run this test if potential diabetes is suspected. This test can be very dangerous if someone is unknowingly diabetic and thus untreated because it could make already high glucose levels shoot up to a dangerous level.

There is a very simple fasting blood test that only requires a single vial of blood. Also a screening test can be done that is non fasting and also requires just one vial of blood. My doctor runs the fasting test and if it is positive he simply repeats it to be sure of the test result. Again, I cannot speak to the issue of hypoglycemia. From my experience I too think that Lyme does affect glucose levels resulting in an increase of symptoms.... that was interesting to read Foggy's post.

Good luck tomorrow. Let us know how the doctor visit went.

Debbie

Posts: 162 | From RI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie,
I had a 5 hour glucose tolerance test done twenty years ago, and let me tell you, I will NEVER do that again!

My glucose bottomed out at 43, and I felt really really awful.

I read later that you can go into a coma if your sugar drops below 40.

Huh. I believe it.

Your doctor probably has never gone through this test, and may have no idea how it feels to tolerate it so poorly.

I am learning to ask alot of questions beforehand. If they want to do a test that sounds too rigorous for me, I want to know why. How will a positive or a negative result affect treatment decisions?

Your doctor is going to be confused if you start grousing at him about the test.
Try to be "nice" when you explain how sick you became. You need him on your side.

Good luck.
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone. I'm about to leave for the doctor's appointment. I was probably overdoing it when I said I'll give him a piece of my mind. I don't think I'd be able to really do that with ANYONE, nevermind a doctor I don't really know. I'll just let him know how difficult it was and that I need him to discuss all the tests before he orders them. Last time, I was so exhausted by the time we got to the end of the appointment that I wasn't together enough to ask the right questions and really insist that he keep me informed about EVERYTHING he wanted to do.

I'll let you know how the appointment today goes.

Thanks,
Annie

------------------

Click to join Lyme_Camp

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the foru hour challenge tests done every tmie I was pregnant. The first time I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes, so I got accustomed to having that stupid test done.

I got screaming migraines BAD after each test I had done. The doc said it was all that sugar in my body?

I dont know if this helps, just want you to know that yes,I have been there. It took three days and oen time a week for the heaadache to go away, I was shakey and everything. Felt like I do now

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scrambled_brain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrambled_brain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the ggt despite no overt diabetic sx. Thought I would pass in flying colors. Turns out I was hypergycemic (syndrome X). Good thing I caught it or I would not have known and might still be sneaking a cookie or two. sounds like you have a good doc to me.
Posts: 375 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie,

That test sounds awful...I'm so sorry you had to go through that..
I hope you will be feeling better soon, let us know how the doctor appointment went.

PS: It was so nice to meet you.

Hugggssss,
Beverly

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so maybe the test wasn't totally pointless. It turns out that it shows I have reactive hypoglycemia (where your blood sugar drops really low after eating something high in glucose). At the second hour of the test, my glucose was 49. At the third hour it came back up to 61. Normal is 65+. This time is probably where I got the headache.

So, now I have to try to change my diet to deal with this. I have to cut out sugars (as much as possible at least), eat less refined carbs, and try to eat more protein. I'm meeting with a nutritionist sometime in the next few weeks to get some solid plans set up for me and I'm starting a bunch of B vitamins that are supposed to help. I'm also starting B12 shots every three days, building up to 10,000mg every three days. Hopefully all this will help the hypoglycemia.

My doctor wants to get everything he can under control before trying to go after the Lyme because he doesn't think I could handle treatment right now or that it would help me even if I could handle it. Apparently I also have some kind of adrenal thing going on that's probably from the Lyme (he's not sure if the hypoglycemia is from Lyme or not). And I also have some kind of thyroid thing going on but he's not going to deal with that yet - one step at a time.

I still wish I didn't have to have that stupid test done but I'm glad it showed something so it wasn't for nothing. I think he could have gotten this information from 3 or 4 hours, though. Oh well, it's done.

--Annie

------------------

Click to join Lyme_Camp

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad the test at least showed something (not glad that you have hypoglycemia, but you know what i mean) .

what test did they run to check your adrenal function? what did they find exactly?

take care,
heather

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement