LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rifampin - Foamy Urine anyone?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rifampin - Foamy Urine anyone?
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby and me have been on Zithro and Rif, the latter in a ridiculously low dosage (2x150 mg) for 5 days. We both noticed having strange foam (very tiny bubbles clotting together in kind of small clouds) floating on the urine. Otherwise the urine looks and smells normal.

Since 8 days we are off Zithro and since 6 days off Rif. In two days we are supposed to start Ketek and Flagyl. But we still have this foamy urine.

I read in another thread that Rif can do that. Google says it can be acute-toxic inflammation of kidney tubes.

So now I'm worried to start the new protocol with this going on.

On the other side, I think I noticed sometimes this foam before and that was always immediately after Rifing. I had the wishful thinking then that it was corpses of keets that I was flushing out.

Does anybody know this? What should I think of it?

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FightFireWithWater
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FightFireWithWater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Several people have asked about his. I've wondered whether the bubbles could be from yeast or probiotics. The bubbles seem to happen when I've taken more acidophilus in response to feeling "yeasty". I haven't noticed any other effects in conjuction with the bubbles.

Posts: 1265 | From does not list | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foamy urine...

Watch the kidneys and liver... be careful.

Are you taking milk thistle?

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi FFWW,

I also though about yeast, first. But I'm strict in my diet and take living bacteries for the gut, nystatin pills and other anti-yeast stuff and don't feel yeasty at all.

Also, I thought that if it would be yeast, it should look different. Thinking of the spit test, where yeast gives white clouds that are sinking to the bottom. This foam doesn't sink and the urine stays all clear. But maybe yeast behaves different in urine?

Hi Tincup,

no I must admit I don't take milk thistle regularly. But only two weeks ago I finished a pack. Will see my doctor on Monday, but I can't imagine that hubby and me get liver or kidney problems at the same time.

Especially as huby is nearly double my volume and our last check was just perfect.

What came to our mind today is that there might be a timely coincidence with our starting taking healing earth (comparable to bentonite clay) to detox. Will not take any today and see what happens.

Thanks to both of you.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabrielle,

Slightly different, but I remember when I had 1 week of I.V Unasyn (or was it called Unisyn) in 1993 - I had the foamy urine thing then.

I did not have liver or kidney problems. I think it was just from the antibiotics.

DLL

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyma Bean
Member # 1914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lyma Bean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Gabrielle!

I get the same thing from Tetracycline and my liver and kidney functions are fine. Have no idea what causes it but it usually goes away after about a week.

Good Luck and Take Care...Terri

Posts: 1405 | From Plano, Texas | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement