LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How To Protect Yard W/O Sevin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How To Protect Yard W/O Sevin?
Starphoenix
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2402

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a highly-endemic area. Deer, mice, and other woodland creatures regularly frolic through our property.

My husband applies Sevin (carbaryl) in the spring and fall. That has allowed me to feel comfortable tramping through the grass.

After reading about its toxicity (in Desperation Medicine, Dr. S, and websites), I'm really afraid to use it now. It gets in the air. My husband sprays it unprotected. I imagine that walking through treated grass would get it on clothing. We have septic and a well, though the well isn't on our property. It's on a neighbor's, and I've encouraged him to use Sevin! Water here drains to a local lake, too.

We can't fence the yard. You'd have to see our property to understand why.

I don't know what else to do. I realize that this isn't an issue now (at 18 degrees), but I'd like to get ideas now.

I kept hearing how safe Sevin is, but I read so much to the contrary. What a shame.

I won't use pesticide on my clothes because of MCS. I don't want to breathe it, or drag it inside, either!

Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right Sevin is horible!!!! All chemical pesticidies are.

M friends tell me I should use Deet instead of staying out of the wooods that I love.

I feel itis the chemicals and toxicity that allowed our bodies to get so sick in the first place. We have to find other ways.

I live in an urban neighborhood so don't face the problem you do.

I have read of waysto keep deer away or at least lessen the #. Search on google. ALso read the lyme websites. I thinkthere might been something here in the library on keepng deer away.

I will look a bit ater today and try to give you some links.

Take care,
robi

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/5/prweb128580.htm[/URL]

http://www.nixticks.com/

http://www.stopticks.org/prevention/index.asp[/URL]
http://www.tickbook.com/ Looks good.

http://www.caes.state.ct.us/SpecialFeatures/TickHandbook.pdf[/URL] This looked really good. Look at the Table of contents....coves many topics. You need Adobe acrobat to read this.....if you need help let me know.

Hope this helps,
robi

[This message has been edited by robi (edited 18 December 2004).]

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally...someone who understands!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, buy a chicken coop...and raise Guinea Hens...they LOVE ticks. (Seriously)

That and SHORT grass....no water.

Trout

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemomtooo
Member # 5396

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemomtooo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rushing thru and saw this..WE haven't done it yet but my daughter did some research and bought some diamataceous earth..Think it is volcanic stuff..some cat litter is made of it..It supposedly dries out the little buggers and is safe for her chickens.

Also read on lymenet or somewhere where baby ducks were also great..Could eventually be a mess with having to replenish with more.

Posts: 2360 | From SE PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
3greatkids
Member # 3838

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3greatkids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Max Force Tick Management

1-800-331-2867

used in conjunction with mice,mice run thru traps,traps I think are set out along perimeter of you property.

These have been very successful and recently won an award.

Posts: 1076 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, folks. I deeply appreciate your advice.

I wish I could have guinea hens here. It's against the law. And the landowner's association wouldn't allow it anyway. Phooey. I know that neighbors would report us.

I tried some of the sites listed, Robi. Thanks so much. I couldn't access some of them. One didn't have information about property. That book looks interesting, though. Maybe I'll buy it over the winter.

I'll try Max Force, too. Thanks, 3greatkids!

There has to be another way without toxic chemicals! Steph

Posts: 1318 | From Shohola, PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLaura
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep foundation plantings low and well mulched, grass cut short, no wood piles and mice nesting sites and a 3 foot wood chip border around your yard. Read this somewhere...can't remember where. Supposed to help dramatically.
Posts: 132 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starphoenix
Member # 2402

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Starphoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good tips, Laura! I can't use the wood chips, though. You'd have to see my property to see why. Oh, well.

I noticed that a Max Force user is in my town! I'll contact them closer to spring to get an estimate.

Steph

Magdalena
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6096

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Magdalena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steph,

I saw you post and was about to suggest DE when I see that Lymemom has already suggested it.

Check it out at:
www.herbalhealer.com

I will go ahead and post the info:

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

DIATOMACEOUS EARTH has been right under our feet for eons, waiting to be discovered as a safe, effective control for garden pests.

For relief of flea and tick problems with pets and for the elimination of parasites in livestock.

Diatomaceous earth is mined from fossilized deposits of shells formed by tiny diatoms. These are single celled plants of the sea that are millions of years old.

According to National Geographic reports, "Death comes within 12 hours after insects venture into the D.E. They pierce their skins or waxy shells on the sharp edges of the diatoms siliceous shells and die of dehydration."

This product is completely safe to use and because of it's trace mineral content it is good for the animals, plants and the environment. We have tested D.E. at the Herbal Healer Academy.
Roses: 1 cup to 2 gallons water in a sprayer. Or it can be dusted directly on all plants.

For turkeys, chickens, quail and pheasants, use 1 tablespoon per gallon of feed. You can give this product to horses; it adds minerals to the diet, helps kill intestinal parasites, and keeps the flies down in the manure.

D.E. can be added to your storage food to keep out the weevils. When applied topically on dogs and cats, you will find that it takes a few days to kill all the fleas.

Dust animal and then all the bedding and outside the front door. Will not harm your carpets, but will leave a white dust to vacuum up.

Note: If used outside and it rains and washes the D.E. away you must re-apply to be continually effective.

Diatomaceous Earth can be added to stored grains: 1 ounce per bushel, or 1 teaspoon per quart, will keep the bugs out for indefinite periods, doing no harm to the grain!

Diatomaceous Earth is completely safe to use and kills fleas and pests. The only contraindication is not to breath too much of the dust into lungs as it can irritate the lungs.
http://www.herbalhealer.com/parasites.html

Just a thought,
Maggie

Posts: 400 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement