LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Vironal possible cure soon tested by myself.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vironal possible cure soon tested by myself.
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 10 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello , once upon a time i posted http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/023632.html which is about Chinese herbs (14 species).
This herbs extracts applied to cultured bacteria causing them to die in a laboratory.

I was looking in the internet under key words ``lyme and herbs'' or sthing and
I found some woman telling about medicament called Vironal.

She says (this is translation from polish): `` Vironal helped me curing Lyme disease.
I have got Lyme disease instead of that i have never had any tick in my life.
I was bitten by some flying bug ,but it wasn`t a tick so my doctor treated me for
Egzeme. With time rash disappeared ,problems started after grippe i was having.
My hands and legs started hurt ,i don't want to even describe how bad i felt.
I was a clockmaker so You can imagine how big problems i had in my job.
Because i was so depressed , i went and have told to my doctor complaints about spine pain.
Doctor said that that he can`t do anything about it.
I did not want to give up so i was searching for other possibilities .
It was Coincidence that i was attending Energy(firm name) lecture and i have started
Use Vironal. It was a miracle. I had unfortunately strong reversions of the disease ,but i did not give up. With time i had strong feeling that inside my body is getting better.

I was increasing and decreasing dosages to my needs.
My doctor in the beginning was laughing ,when i have told him what i am going to use.
But after few weeks he has noticed that it is working.
It`s been almost 3 years and i am still faithfully attitude to Energy
There is no even a little thing in my blood after Lyme.
I`ve cured with positive results also other diseases.
I tell You it is worth.''

I searched deeper,first and one of
ingredients of Vironal is Sanguisorba extract
Which is one of leptospira inhibit herbs from link above.

Sanguisorba is herb that contains sanguisorbine 3%-5%
,one of the saponines.

It is rare used and not trained,researched
much. It is also hard to find In Poland to buy but not impossible.

Todayi ordered vironal and i am going to use it. If it will help i will write of course.

I was looking on www.lymenet.org if anybody was using this herb. There was no one .

So ,if anyone wants to try with me good luck.

Maybe Maybe

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrotek, please let us know where you ordered the Vironal. Did you order it in the US or in Europe?

Thank you for translating the lady's letter and for posting it here.

Good luck.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you may want to look more closely at the saponines. English spelling seems to be saponin.

I did a quick google and it may be that saponines are related to steriods. A lot of the old syphilis herbs like sasparilla etc acted like steriods. Steriods reduce pain in the short term, but weaken the immune system and it's not a good thing to take them with any infection.

Double check this, but;

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/medicine4.html
"The major saponin glycosides with steriod like nuclei (from the new world species) are now recognized as sarsaponin, smilacin, sitosterol-d-glucoside, and pollinastanin. they occur in the plants along with their genins and other steroids as sarsapogenin, smilgenin, sitosterol, stigmasterol and pollinastanol. One modern figure indicated the usual level of steriod saponins in unidentified Smilax species, indicated to be sarsaparilla, as 1.8-2.4%. (Wagner, H., et al. 1984) "

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are still different saponine ,different herbs. They are not well researched yet.
But different herbs has different saponine and they work a little different i guess.
Not checked work also ,thats my hope.
They characteristic (main) feature is that the make foam when boiled , make blood hemolize. So they are against blooding.

I ma wondering how to prepare this saponines from herbs.
If boiled they are foaming a lot and i hope they are not lost in boiling process.

Meybe some alcohol extract would be better.
Most liquid herbs are prepared on alcohol base.why?

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ordered Vironal at distributor of Energy products in Poland (Europe) ,his site is http://mednatur1493.republika.pl/
Energy firm is http://www.energy.cz/ Also www.energy.sk
Try the second one I mean www.energy.sk cause they have English version.
You Can order it there ,I don't know if vironal is available in USA from distributors

GiGi
Member # 259

Wrotek, is this the product you are referring to?
http://www.energy.sk/info/vyrobky/Vironal.asp#

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

VIRONAL

The Energy bio-information preparations affect a human body at several levels at the same time. While the active substances act directly on organs and processes in our body, the information factors obliterate a cause of illness in the information field through bio-resonance.

Vironal is a bio-information product with a wide-spectrum regenerative effect that is manufactured using the latest achievements in the fields of phytotherapy, psychotronics, crystal therapy and bio-resonance. This highly concentrated product (30 ml equals 400 ml of a typical extract) is made using a special technology. It contains neither alcohol, nor sugar; therefore it is suitable also for those suffering from diabetes. It contains all plant substances soluble in both, water and alcohol.

Vironal influences primarily the channels of lungs, large intestine, spleen, three burners, and connective channel of small intestine; and thus works on problems related to their inadequate functioning. The typical syndromes related to the channel of lungs include respiratory problems, cough, asthma, sore throat, transpiration and many others.

The lungs are the place where important functions take place: breathing and the production of energy. Large intestine is their pair organ. Unsolved dysfunction of large intestine may lead to the lungs disorder and vice versa. Through consumption of a small amount of savory food we stimulate the function of the lungs; large amounts of savory food have an opposite effect. The lungs are connected to the body surface via the airways. These airways, or the respiratory tract, include the nasal cavity, the pharynx, larynx, trachea and bronchi. This is the place where the body confronts the uninvited intruders that are spread by air causing various respiratory and other diseases.

Viruses represent numerous and highly variable kingdom. They cause many diseases, including influenza and the common cold. Currently over two hundred types of viruses that cause ``cold'' are known to the mankind. The allopathic pharmaceutical industry has so far failed to synthesize an effective anti-viral drug. All that destroys a virus also destroys cells and tissues. This is why more holistic approach is needed, and the body as a whole should be helped. The quality of our skin directly depends on the good function of the lungs. When they are working properly, then our skin is elastic and healthy.

The tonsils represent the first line of defense against infection, as they produce antibodies. Their removal weakens the immune system and decreases resistance. An inflammation of the tonsils (tonsillitis) may be relatively dangerous and, if not treated, may lead to complications such as inflammation of the kidneys, rheumatic fever, abscesses, sepsis and pneumonia. Hypertrophy of the tonsils and adenoids is very common these days. It is also a sign or a symptom of allergy.

Vironal contains quite a large amount of grapefruit seed extracts, which have very specific effects on various microorganisms and viruses. Vironal contains a number of plant substances acting against microorganisms.

When suffering from influenza, we should avoid acid forming food (e.g. sweets); when having fever, increase the intake of fluids and vitamin C.

As a source of vitamin C we recommend the product Flavocel of the company Energy, in which vitamin C is combined with flavonoids that increase its absorption and have an overall positive effect.

Further Vironal contains mineral bio-information. The taste of Vironal is fine-tuned by a special blend of essential oils and myrrh with antiviral, antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antimycotic effects.

Sanguisorba officinalis: is used as an antipyretic agent; in diseases of the lungs, in bleeding and diarrhea. It has very good anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties and is effective against protozoa.

Tilia cordata: contains substances similar to vitamin E. It has pro-perspiratory, diuretic, spasmolytic and bile-stimulating properties. It is used in fevers and colds.

Thymus serpyllum: acts well on staphylococci, streptococci and salmonella. It has powerful antiseptic and disinfectant properties. It is used in shingles, in lung and bronchial disease, as well as in cough.

Glycyrrhiza glabra: the active substances dissolve mucus and stimulate expectoration. It is used in gastric ulcers, gout, and rheumatism. It has special anti-inflammatory properties, similar to those of glucocorticoids.

Cnicus benedictus: has antibiotic and anti-viral properties. It contains calcium, magnesium and potassium salts. It is a powerful disinfectant and antiseptic. It suppresses fermentation and putrefaction in the intestines.

Betonica officinalis: has a good anti-asthmatic and anti-cancer effect. It has excellent results in cases of gastrointestinal disease with inflammation and hyperemia of the intestinal mucus; as well as in cases of CNS dysfunction and bacterial infection.

Armoracia rusticana: is highly phyto-cidic, and has antibiotic properties. It normalizes the intestinal microflora and removes mucus from the bronchi.

Inula helenium: has a phyto-cidic property. It is used in cough, bronchitis, intestinal inflammation, seizures and spasms, flatulence, diabetes and all mucosal affections.

Nasturtium officinale: contains iodine and a whole range of vitamins. It is used as a metabolicum in diseases of the liver, gall-bladder, and spleen; as well as in various viral infections.

Cinchona officinalis: contains a plasmatic poison that damages the causal agents of various infectious diseases. It is used in the treatment of malaria and similar infections associated with fever and chills.

Tropaeolum majus: contains a natural antibiotic which, even in the lowest concentrations, acts on 46 strains of the Staphylococcus bacteria, as well as on Proteus vulgaris, Escherichia Coli, Salmonella, and other types of bacteria.

Verbascum densiflorum: suppresses bronchial and bronchiolar spasm and has anti-inflammatory properties. It is excellent for use in the treatment of asthma bronchitis and cough. It affects the function of the spleen and thymus.

Eupatorium cannabinum: a plant that is highly effective in the treatment of influenza and viroses. It induces transudation. It was widely used by the first inhabitants of the American continent in the treatment of a serious disease, similar to influenza, called ``fracture fever''.

Gummiresina myrrha: has stimulating and anti-inflammatory properties. It acts as an expectorant and antiseptic. It is used in the treatment of sore throat, painful mouth ulceration, catarrh inflammation, and lung infections.

Afromomum melegueta: is a plant of Ginger family, often called Elysian seeds. It has anti-viral and anti-mycotic effects. It has a positive effect on CNS, regeneration of cells and immune system.

Cytrus paradisi (grapefruit): its seeds have anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-mycotic effects. The extract from these seeds is used in gastrointestinal infections, in colitis, and in Crohn disease. In concentration 1:1000 the extract is successful against Helicobacter pylori, which causes gastric ulcers.

Furthermore, Vironal contains plant and mineral information, e.g. jasper, stibnite, and others.

The whole complex of effective substances from herbs and the information component contained in this product may be used not only in the process of prevention, but also directly, in viral, microbial and bacterial infections such as influenza, tonsillitis, fever, cold, rhinitis, viroses, sinusitis. Further applications include the induction of transpiration, use in respiratory tract infections, use in cases of non-productive cough, the stimulation of the immune and lymphatic system. Moreover, it is used to improve the function of bone marrow; in treatment of various diseases such as malaria, gastric and peptic ulcers, pharyngitis, chronic enterocolitis and gastroenteritis, colitis, Crohn disease, and fungi in intestines; in cases of bad elasticity of skin - stretch marks, dryness of skin and eyes.

This product is also useful in concomitant treatment with antibiotics, as there is a synergistic effect against aggressive viruses leading to the eventual elimination of their negative effects. It is usable in all conditions caused by disharmony of the relevant energy channels.

For more detail information please see the brochure Regeneration in Pentagram where is a description of all main energy channels.

Use of Vironal from the mental point of view:

The product may be used also as to your mood and state of mind. Lungs and large intestine disorders express themselves in our state of mind as misery, anxiety, emotional apathy, depression, melancholy, self-depreciation, yawning, nervousness, somnambulation, nightmares, and insomnia.

If you find yourself being in the aforementioned moods very often, it has a negative effect on your lungs and large intestine. Vironal can be used to harmonize the aforementioned conditions.

Combination with the cream Droserin is recommended.

Regeneration process and dosage:

Shake well before use (approx. 21x). This leads to the dynamization of the information components, thereby increasing the effectiveness of the product.

Take 3 - 9 drops 1-3x a day, half an hour before or after the meal. Put drops on a spoon and apply directly or put them in a glass of water. To stimulate the process of detoxication increase your intake of fluids within the period of regeneration process.

The prevention dose is 3 drops a day, while the regeneration dose is 9 drops.

In pregnancy no regeneration products should be used, unless a physician is consulted.

In chronic conditions apply minimum dosage, in acute conditions maximum dosage. In the event of temporary or transient aggravation, decrease the dosage down to minimum, or take the syrup by drops even in longer intervals than one day. After improvement return to the original dosage. Do not discontinue, as these are symptoms of the reverse regeneration process, during which symptoms of previous diseases may appear. This phenomenon represents only a positive regenerative reaction!

In severe cases and in serious hormonal dysfunctions we recommend smaller initial doses and the prior consultation of a physician.

After three weeks interrupt the application for one week.

In some cases, 1 package may suffice for regeneration; that is a one-month dose including a week-long pause. In more severe cases, more packages may be needed.

Suitable for diabetics.

v

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caat..

It is my undeestanding that certain plant saponins, like sasparilla..have the similar effects of steroids in that they can, low doses over time.. help with energy, hormone production, ect..

But DO NOT have the same effect on the immune system that steroids (pharmaceutical) do.

Of course, each individual root or plant derivative needs to be considered,..I'm speaking of a particular sasparilla root,
which is all I have experience with.

Perhaps the same sort of ingredient is within this blend Vironol?

Mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>>It is my undeestanding that certain plant saponins, like sasparilla..have the similar effects of steroids in that they can, low doses over time.. help with energy, hormone production, ect..

>>>But DO NOT have the same effect on the immune system that steroids (pharmaceutical) do.

Mo, how do you know that? I'm not being fascitious or sarcastic, if you have info on that I'd like to see it because I've been avoiding them.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Thank you, Wrotek. I will order Vironal from my friendly pharmacist in Germany Monday morning. I will get them to my doctor to have him test them on some poeple with ART. My hunch is they will test well/positive for some people.

Take care.

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Caat,

Sorry..I should have been clearer.

I have actually in the past avoided all plant derivatives remotely steroidal myself, for obvious reasons.

Truthfully, my change in attitude towaed a specific one I am using is based on the word of two different herbalists, who assure me the one I am using has the benefits without immune depression.

Because I know them so well and know their work is focused on immune function, I have trusted this info without searching for scientific backup.

I also don't want to take the thread on a tangent..as the saponins in sasparilla could well be different than what's in Vironol, and I imagine each herb would need to be looked at carefully if it has these properties..

But here is text on something similar to what I am using..and I use a brewed tea from the root..small amounts, just 100ml 2x per day..

..and I am told the effects take three weeks to kick in. My menstrual symptoms now over a month into it are much better, so it is helping hormonally.

I am going to test my IgM Immunoglobilin soon, and can report back on whether at least that immune marker has risen. Mine was lowering steadily on ab's.

I pointed this out because perhaps the saponin's in Vironol are also safe..but I couldn't say without checking into that.

Maybe GiGi's Doc can tell us???

Here is info on Sasparilla, in case it helps in any way in checking out saponins (this is similar to what I am using, but I have root tea brewed) interesting on it's use in Syphillis:

Family: Smilacaceae
Genus: Smilax
Species: officinalis
Common Names: Sarsaparilla, Salsaparrilha, Khao Yen, Saparna, Sarsaparilla, Smilace, Smilax, Zarzaparilla
Part Used: Root

DESCRIPTION

Properties/Actions:
Alterative, Aphrodisiac, Anti-biotic, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-septic, Anti-pruritic, Anti-syphilic, Carminative, Depurative, Diaphoretic, Diuretic, Febrifuge, Hepatoprotective, Hormonal, Steroidal, Stimulant, Stomachic, Tonic

Phytochemicals:
Aluminum, Ash, Beta-sitosterol, Calcium, Cetyl-alcohol , Chromium, Cobalt, EO, Epsilon-sitosterol, Glucose, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Parigenin, Parillin, Phosphorus, Pollinastanol, Potassium, Resin, Saponin, Sarasaponin, Sarsaparilloside, Sarsaponin, Sarsasapogenin, Selenium, Silicon, Sitosterol-d-glucoside, Smilagenin, Smilasaponin, Stigmasterol, Tin, Zinc

ETHNOBOTANY: WORLDWIDE USES

Argentina
Aphrodisiac, Diaphoretic, Rheumatism,

Brazil
Alterative, Aphrodisiac, Diaphoretic, Depurative, Diuretic, Fever, Impotence, Psoriasis, Purgative, Rheumatism, Skin, Sterility, Sudorific, Syphilis, Urinary,

China
Aphrodisiac, Rheumatism, Stimulant

Elsewhere
Aperitif, Aphrodisiac, Cancer, Leprosy, Conjunctivitis, Impotence, Rheumatism, Sterility, Stimulant, Syphilis, Toothache

India
Aphrodisiac, Spasm

Malaya
Aphrodisiac, Rheumatism

Mexico
Burn, Depurative, Diuretic, Inflammation, Rash, Rheumatism, Skin, Stimulant

Turkey
Alterative, Aphrodisiac, Blood, Depurative, Diuretic, Emetic, Scrofula, Sudorific, Tonic

Sarsaparilla is a large woody vine growing up to 50 meters in length and is native to South America, Jamaica, the Caribbean, Mexico, Honduras and the West Indies. The root, used for medicinal purposes, is long and tuberous and supports a ground-trailing vine with paired tendrils for climbing. The fragrance of the root is considered pleasant with a spicy sweet taste. Sarsaparilla vine should not be confused with the tree, Sasparilla which was once used to flavor rootbeer. There are many species of Smilax around the world that are very similar in appearance, uses and even chemical structure, including S. officinalis, S. regeli, S. aristolochiaefolia, S. febrifuga, S. sarsaparilla, and S. ornata.

Sarsaparilla has been used for centuries by the indigenous peoples of Central and South America for sexual impotence, rheumatism, skin ailment, and a tonic for physical weakness.(2) Sarsaparilla root was used by South American indigenous tribes as a general tonic where New World traders found it and introduced it into European medicine in the 1400's. European physicians considered it an alterative tonic, blood purifier, diuretic and diaphoretic.(1) A sarsaparilla root from Mexico was introduced into European medicine in 1536, where it developed a strong following as a cure for syphilis and rheumatism.(1) Since this time, the Smilax genus has a long history of use for syphilis and other sexually transmitted diseases throughout the world. With its reputation as a blood purifier, it was registered as an official herb in the U.S. Pharmacopoeia as a syphilis treatment from 1820 to 1910. From the 1500's to present, Sarsaparilla is used as a blood purifier and general tonic, and has been used all over the world for the same conditions, namely gout, syphilis, gonorrhea, wounds, arthritis, fevers, coughs, scrofula, hypertension, digestive disorders, psoriasis, skin disease, cancer and as a tonic.(2 - 9)

Clinical research on the pharmacological actions of Sarsasparilla has been varied over the years. Sarsaparilla was also used by the Chinese in the treatment of syphilis. Clinical observations in China demonstrated that sarsasparilla is effective, according to blood tests, in about 90% of acute cases and 50% of chronic cases.(3) It was shown clinically in 1942 to dramatically improve psoriasis which continued its validation and use as a blood purifying remedy.(10) In the 1950's, the anti-biotic properties of sarsaparilla were documented.(11, 12) Its effective use as an adjuvant for the treatment of leprosy was documented in a human trial in 1959.(13) It's anti-inflammatory (14) and hepatoprotective (15) effects have been shown in rats and improvement of appetite and digestion as well as diuretic actions in humans has also been documented.(16) Its blood-purifying actions was demonstrated when sarsaparilla demonstrated the ability to attack and neutralize microbial substances in the blood stream.(6, 17) The majority of Sarsaparilla's pharmacological properties and actions have been attributed to a pharmacologically active group of phytochemicals called steroids and saponins. The saponins have been reported to facilitate the absorption by the body of other drugs and phytochemicals(3, 18) which accounts for its history of use in herbal formulas as a bioavailability and herbal enhancement agent.

Sarsaparilla contains the steroids: sarsasapogenin, smilagenin, sitosterol, stigmasterol and pollinastanol and the saponins: sarsasaponin, smilasaponin, sarsaparilloside, and sitosterol glucoside among others.(3) Saponins and plant steroids found in many species of plants, including Sarsaparilla, can be chemically synthesized into human steroids like estrogen and testosterone. This chemical synthesization has never been documented to occur in the human body - only in the laboratory. Plant steroids and their actions in the human body are still a subject of much interest, too little research, and unfortunately, misinformation mainly for marketing purposes. Sarsaparilla has been erroneously touted to contain testosterone and/or other anecbolic steroids. While it is a rich source of steroids and saponins, it has never been proven to have any anecbolic effects, nor is testosterone found in sarsaparilla or any other plant source thus far.(3, 20) There is no known toxicity or side effects documented for sarsaparilla, however ingestion of large dosages of saponins may cause gastro-intestinal irritation.(19, 20)

Footnotes:

Hobbs, Christopher, 1988. "Sarsaparilla, A Literature Review," HerbalGram No. 17.
Lucas, Richard, 1991. Miracle Medicine Herbs.
Lung, Albert and Steven Foster, 1996. Encyclopedia of Common Natural Ingredients, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
Heinerman, John, 1996. Heinerman's Encyclopedia of Healing Herbs & Spices, Parker Publishing Co., West Nyack, NY.
Grieve, Mrs. M., 1971. A Modern Herbal, Dover Publications.
Mowrey, Daniel B., 1996. The Scientific Validation of Herbal Medicine, Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT.
Murray, Michael T., N.D,. 1995. The Healing Power of Herbs, Prima Publishing.
Mowrey, Daniel B., 1993. Herbal Tonic Therapies, Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, CT
Duke, James A. Handbook of Medicinal Herbs. CRC Press, Boca Roton, FL 1985 pp 446.
Thurman, F.M. "The treatment of psoriasis with sarsaparilla compound." New England Journal of Medicine, 337, 128-133, 1942
D'Amico, M.L. "Ricerche sulla presenza di sostanze ad azione anti-biotica nelle piante superiori." Fitoterapia, 21(1), 77-79, 1950
Fitzpatrick, F.K., "Plant substances active against mycobacterium tuberculosis/" Anti-biotics and Chemotherapy, 4(5), 528-536, 1954
Rollier R. "Treatment of lepromatous leprosy by a combination of DDS and sarsaparilla (Smilax ornata)." Int J Leprosy 1959: 27: 328-40.
Ageel, AM, et.al., 1989. "Experimental studies on anti-rheumatic crude drugs used in Saudi traditional medicine", Drugs Exp Clin Res, 15: 369-72.
Rafatullah, S. et.al., "Hepatoprotective and safety evaluation studies on sarsaparilla.: Int J. Pharmacognosy 1991; 29: 296-301
Harnischfeger, G et al., Smilax Species - Sarsaparille. In: Bewahrte Pflanzendrogen in Wissenschaft und Medizin. Bad Homburg/Melsungen: Notamed Verlag. 1983: p. 216-25.
Tschesche, R. "Advances in the chemistry of anti-biotic substances from higher plants." in Wagner, H. & Horhammer, L. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemisty. Springer Verlag. N.Y. 1971, pp 274-276.
Willard, Terry., 1991. The Wild Rose Scientific Herbal, Wild Rose College of Natural Healing, Alberta, Canada. p. 307
Newal, Carol., Anderson, Linda, Phillipson, J. David., 1996. Herbal Medicine A Guide for Health-care Professionals The Pharmaceutical Press, Cambridge, London
Botanical Monograph, "Sarsaparilla (Smilax sarsaparilla)," American Journal of Natural Medicine, 1996 Vol.3, No.9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REFERENCED QUOTES
1 "Since ancient times Sarsaparilla has been considered an excellent blood purifier. More recently it has been used alone or with other herbs to combat psoriasis, eczema, warts and other skin infections. ln homeopathy it is frequently used for skin eruptions that are accompanied by intense itching." 2 "Sarsaparilla is used all over the world for a wide range of symptoms. These include lung and stomach congestion, skin diseases, herpes, syphilis, psoriasis, arthritis, rheumatism, gout, nervous disorders, epilepsy, chronic liver disorders, colds fevers, and stomach and intestinal gas. It helps promote good circulation, clear toxins, balance the glandular system, and stimulate metabolism and male sexual potency. The natural steroidal glycosides found in smilax make it a favorite for body builders and anyone who would like to be stronger and energized. It promotes rejuvenation and can be used as an anti-inflammatory." 3 "ACTIONS: Stimulates metabolism, Enhances glandular balance, Boosts hormone, production, Cleanses blood, Aids muscle building. TRADITIONAL USE: Smilax is used for glandular balance, and is believed to aid building of muscle mass. Recognized for its properties believed to increase metabolic rate. Naturally stimulates production of hormones. Known to encourage muscle mass when used adjunct to specific exercise. High in vitamins and minerals. Has been used in the treatment of gout, rheumatism, kidney and bladder dysfunctions and skin conditions. MERIDIAN INDICATIONS: Warms male organs, Strengthens muscles, Nourishes blood, kidney, Stomach, Liver EVA POINTS: Triple Warmer, Bladder 65, Stomach, Kidney, Liver." 4 "Medical Action and Uses: Alterative, tonic. Used in chronic skin diseases, rheumatism, passive dropsy." 5 "A sweet herb used for impotency, liver problems, stress, rheumatism, gout, venereal disease (i.e., syphilis), leukorrhea, herpes, other disorders caused by blood impurities, epilepsy, and nervous system disorders. Reduces fever, clears skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis, and controls diabetes. Also good for stomach and kidney disorders. Regulates hormones, increases energy, and protects against harmful radiation." 11 "Sarsaparilla to increase circulation, clear toxins and stimulate metabolism." 13 "Sarsaparilla's medicinal use has been as a tonic and a blood purifier. A blood purifier or depurative refers to an agent that cleanses and purifies the system. Sarsaparilla's reputation in this regard probably stems from its importation from the Caribbean and South America to Europe in the sixteenth century for the treatment of syphilis.
During military operations in Portugal in 1812, a British Inspector General of Hospitals noted that the Portuguese soldiers suffering from syphilis who used sarsaparilla recovered much faster and more completely than their British counterparts, who were treated with mercury.
Sarsaparilla was also used by the Chinese in the treatment of syphilis. Clinical observations in China demonstrated that sarsaparilla is effective, according to blood tests, in about 90 percent of acute cases and 50 percent of chronic cases.
An interesting note is that sarsaparilla species have been used all over the world in many different cultures for the same conditions, namely gout, arthritis, fevers, digestive disorders, skin disease, and cancer.
The mechanism of action of sarsaparilla is largely unknown, although the plant does contain several saponins and has been shown to be clinically effective in the treatment of psoriasis. This evidence points to a possible effect on binding of cholesterol and bacterial toxins in the intestines.
Evidence seems to support sarsaparilla as an endotoxin binder. Endotoxins are cell wall constituents of bacteria that are absorbed from the gut. Normally, the liver filters out these and other gut-derived compounds before they reach the general circulation. If the amount of endotoxin absorbed is excessive or if the liver is not functioning adequately, the liver can become overwhelmed, and endotoxins will spill into the blood. In a controlled study of ninety-two patients, an endotoxin-binding saponin (sarsaponin) from sarsaparilla greatly improved the psoriasis in 62 percent of the patients and resulted in complete clearance in 18 percent."
14 "Smilax is another herb with a reputation as a remarkable tonic and male rejuvenator. This herb has been receiving considerable attention lately, but not of a research nature. Rather it has become a favorite of the body-building crowd. Is there any justification for this interest?
As a tonic, smilax has been used primarily to increase vitality and virility, and is used throughout Central and South America and some parts of southern North America to treat the symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases. This practice has even spread to Europe. Chinese physicians verified the anti-syphilis property of sarsaparilla. In clinical observations, its effectiveness on primary syphilis was rated at 90 percent. Allowing for some halo effect, the results are still staggering. This may help explain how the herb came to used that way in Europe. It was simply effective.
Worldwide opinion also concurs on other uses for smilax, including an anti-inflammatory effect in arthritis and gout, and a detoxification effect in cancer and skin disorders.
The effectiveness of smilax in the treatment of skin disorders, such as the acne of adolescence caused by raging androgens, has received some experimental support.
The tonic effect of smilax may be the result of its ability to stimulate the removal of accumulated waste products from the cells, blood and lymph.
One final note: Smilax contains a wide variety of saponins, mainly sarsasapogenin, smilagenin, sitosterol and stigmasterol. These substances commonly occur in plants with immune enhancing action, in the adaptogens, in tonics, and in herbs used for their nutritive value. Smilax saponins have not been investigated thoroughly, but they may hold the key to the popularity of the plant for body-building purposes. Sarsaparilla saponins have, for example, been used in the synthesis of sex hormones." 21 "SMILACACEAE
Sarsaparilla Family
The four genera and 375 species of the Smilacaceae are mainly tropical and subtropical climbing shrubs; a few species occur in temperate zones. The family is very closely allied to the Liliaceae, in which some taxonomists classify the members which we consider here as a separate family. Several species are sources of commercial sarsaparilla; some species are of value as medicines.
Steroidal glycosides and occasional flavonoids have been found in Smilax. More recently, glutamic acid derivatives have been reported from S. china (Kasai, 1984), choline and acetyl choline from S. hispida (Miura, 1984) and diosgenin from S. zeylanica (Kar, 1984).
Smilax Linnaeus
The genus has 350 species of woody climbers of the tropics and subtropics of both hemispheres. They are usually armed with spines. Several species are esteemed as stomach tonics and stimulants.
Smilax officinalis Humboldt, Bonpland et Kunth, Gen. et Sp. 1 (1916) 271.
Garcia-Barriga (1974)
The Makuna men use the roots to restore virility, the women to treat symptoms of menopause.
REFERENCES:
Garcia-Barriga, H., Flora Medicinal de Colombia, Instituto de Ci6ncias Naturales, Bogoti (1974)
Kar, D. K. and S. Sen, Curr. Sci. 53 (1984) 661.
Kasai, T., T. Ni****oba et al., Agric. Bio. Chem. 48 (1984) 2271.
Miura, G. A. and T. M. Shih, Physiol. Plant. 61 (1984) 417."
Hobbs, Christopher, "Sarsaparilla, A literature review" HerbalGram No. 17 - Summer 1988, Pg 10. :
"Gerard, in his Great Herbal, mentions that the Honduran and Peruvian sarsaparilla "are a remedy against long continual pain of the joints and head, and against the cold." Spanish "sarza parilia", S. aspera, he takes to be similar, but weaker in action(11).
According to Monardes, the Spanish botanist, Mexican sarsaparilla was introduced into European medicine about 1536 at Seville (12). Other species soon followed from Guatamala and Honduras. They were highly regarded as a remedy for syphilis, which was also imported from the new world in the late 1400's, and for rheumatism. From Spain, the herb found its way into the pharmacists shops all over Europe and England.
Few plants have had the rise and fall in popularity that sarsaparilla has had. When it was introduced it was considered remarkably effective for diverse chronic diseases, and many doctors of the time wrote about its benefits. Generally considered an alterative tonic, blood purifier, diuretic and diaphoretic, it was given alone or in combination with other herbs, as well as with mercury for long-standing venereal disease.
Pereira, a leading physician in London in the mid-nineteenth century, felt that sarsaparilla works when "the malady is of long continuance, and the constitution is enfeebled and emaciated, either by the repeated attacks of the disease, or by the use of mercury," and that it is "the great restorer of a appetite, flesh, colour, strength and vigour."
11. Gerad, John (1633). The Herbal or General History of Plants, reprinted by Dover, NY (1975)
12. Lloyd, J.U. (1929) Origin and History of all the Pharmacopeial Vegetable Drugs, Caxton Press, Cincinnati"
Clinical References
Caceres A, et al. Plants used in Guatemala for the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders. 1. Screening of 84 plants against enterobacteria. J Ethnopharmacol, 1990 Aug
Caceres A, et al. Plants used in Guatemala for the treatment of dermatophytic infections. 1. Screening for anti-mycotic activity of 44 plant extracts. J Ethnopharmacol, 1991 Mar
Xu JH, et al. [Studies on numerical taxonomy of Smilacaceae plants in Zhejiang Province by pyrolysis-high resolution gas chromatography] Chung Kuo Chung Yao Tsa Chih, 1993 Apr
Ageel AM, et al. Experimental studies on anti-rheumatic crude drugs used in Saudi traditional medicine. Drugs Exp Clin Res, 1989
Wang WH. [Antagonistic effect of Smilax sp. on gossypol toxicity (author's transl)] Chung Yao Tung Pao, 1982 Jan
Thurman, F.M. "The treatment of psoriasis with sarsaparilla compound." New Engl. J. Med., 227,

[This message has been edited by Mo (edited 19 December 2004).]

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

I have ordered 5 bags of sanguisorba officinalis today. Tomorrow i will have them
and try.

This herb is one of Vironal ingredient and Chinese medicine leptospira inhibiting herb.

Hope it will do it`s job

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INteresting. But the product 'vironal' seems to have so many herbs--so some of us might be sensitive to some while others would be useful.

RE: steroids and saponins, I think making an outright comparison like that is probably unwarranted. On the other hand I, for instance, am extremely sensitive to plant hormones and can't take any herbs with plant hormones. They overstimulate my hormonal system. Thus sage, black cohosh etc, can't take them. Can't even eat a lot of soy because of the phytohormones (altho new evidence indicates eating lots of soy products can even decrease fertility in men by creating too much "estrogen")

Keep us posted. Thx

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Member # 2321

regarding syphilis;
"Clinical observations in China demonstrated that sarsasparilla is effective, according to blood tests, in about 90% of acute cases and 50% of chronic cases."

hmmm.... cured? I seriously doubt that...

Thanks, Mo, I appreciate it. I did read most of this on sasparila a couple years ago and personally decided I wouldn't try herbs with steriods.
-------------

"RE: steroids and saponins, I think making an outright comparison like that is probably unwarranted. "

I'm not sure either. Maybe Yankee could interpret if saponins have a steriodal effect. I'll post another thread and ask.

--------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by caat (edited 20 December 2004).]

GiGi
Member # 259

Hi, It sounds like you are talking apples and oranges. Vironal is certainly not comparable with a single herb.

I ordered Vironal today. Will see what Autonomic Response Testing (ART) tells on some people.

Take care.

P.S. Wrotek, do you recall where you found the lady's story re Vironal; the website; did you contact her?

wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Well it was a polish site including energy products and this speech was ladys letter to producents i guess.
ladyhawk
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this will be useful: http://saponins.iung.pulawy.pl/

Wrotek,
Are you familiar with any of these folks from Poland?
kind regards, your neighbor in SK,
ladyhawk

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Very interesting ,but i can`t find any data discussed on this conference, it looks like
program list points.I dont know this people.

tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought this herb today. Hmmm.

I know I have problems with estrogenic herbs though...black cohosh and red clover are two (I think). I think I have plenty of estrogen...plenty of testosterone...it's just all bound to proteins.

Anybody know an herb that *frees up* bound hormones? My testosterone, for example, was fine. My free testosterone was low though.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement