LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SSI/SSDI??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SSI/SSDI??
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 5 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I have been talking to my parents lately about how I'm going to manage to support myself because they can't really afford to support me much longer (although they'll find a way if I really need them to) and I'm unable to work more than about 30 hours a month. So, the question of whether I would be able to get disability has come up.

Does anyone have any information that could help me figure out how realistic it would be for me to apply? How long does it take? How difficult is it to get?

I did a search on here but my brain isn't working well enough for me to wade through all the things that came up. I'm 22, have been partially through college before having to take an indefinitely long leave of absence, and I've been diagnosed with Lyme for just over 7 years with severe disability that limits my working ability for probably 3 years or so (I'm not sure exactly when I got really sick since it's more of a downward slide than an abrupt fall).

Thanks,
Annie

------------------
``The best way out is always through.'' -Robert Frost

Click here to join Lyme Pals.

Click here to see my Lyme journal.

Lyme Out Retreat Information Webpage

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well sugar plum...

I have some thoughts on the topic... but did you doubt for a moment I wouldn't?

hehehe

Sorry I am fading tonight at this late hour.. but I will give you a few quick answers.. or OPINIONS.

1. I think anyone who thinks they MAY need to apply for disability should. If it turns out they don't need it.. they don't have to use it. The process can be long.. so start now on the process. I have some tips on that before you file.. so let me know if you want some suggestions.

If you are turned down and need to appeal.. and then win... you will be compensated from the day you FIRST applied... and will get the back award... usually in a lump sum.. before the monthly assistance starts.

2. On SS disability you have the option of working part time.. up to so much money a month or hours a month (?).. at some point in the process. This amount won't affect your monthly benefits... unless you go over the allowed amount. I don't have the latest info on that... so you will need to check.

3. If you have insurance.. at SOME point they are going to start kicking up a fight. After 2 years on SS disability.. Medicare will kick in and that will help pay for some of the bills.

4. Admiting you need to do this is the hardest part of all. Get over it. Don't waste time beating yourself up over it. It won't change a thing .. and will ONLY serve to make you miserable.

5. Again.. if at some later date you are well enough that you don't need it.. you can stop it.

Later gator.. gotta hit the hay!

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tincup:
Well sugar plum...

I have some thoughts on the topic... but did you doubt for a moment I wouldn't?

hehehe

Sorry I am fading tonight at this late hour.. but I will give you a few quick answers.. or OPINIONS.

1. I think anyone who thinks they MAY need to apply for disability should. If it turns out they don't need it.. they don't have to use it. The process can be long.. so start now on the process. I have some tips on that before you file.. so let me know if you want some suggestions.

If you are turned down and need to appeal.. and then win... you will be compensated from the day you FIRST applied... and will get the back award... usually in a lump sum.. before the monthly assistance starts.

2. On SS disability you have the option of working part time.. up to so much money a month or hours a month (?).. at some point in the process. This amount won't affect your monthly benefits... unless you go over the allowed amount. I don't have the latest info on that... so you will need to check.

3. If you have insurance.. at SOME point they are going to start kicking up a fight. After 2 years on SS disability.. Medicare will kick in and that will help pay for some of the bills.

4. Admiting you need to do this is the hardest part of all. Get over it. Don't waste time beating yourself up over it. It won't change a thing .. and will ONLY serve to make you miserable.

5. Again.. if at some later date you are well enough that you don't need it.. you can stop it.

Later gator.. gotta hit the hay!

Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Queenie Pie
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Queenie Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie & Tincup....After a year of denial, I will be applying for SSD via a telephone appt. next Tuesday 1/25/05. After being laid off from my job as a Human Resources Manager, I started up a small home-based handcrafted jewelry business and I sell my jewelry over the internet. (To check it out go to www.treasureofjewels.com) I am also concerned about how this business may or may not impact my ability to collect SSD benefits. Tincup, I would love to hear what suggestions you may have about applying. If you could followup with me, I would appreciate it. On another note, I would also like to feature some Lyme Disease Jewelry and the Magnetic Awareness Ribbons on my Website...Can anyone Help With This?

Thanks
Queenie Pie

Posts: 59 | From NH, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ConnieMc
Member # 191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConnieMc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am studying to become a disability advocate. Yes the system is quite complicated, but a few simple rules apply. You are eligible for SSDI if you have paid enough credits into the system. Since you are only 22, I suspect you might not be eligible. You may be eligible for SSI. SSI is more of a needs-based program, and other income in the household is considered. If you are living with your family, this may affect your ability to receive these benefits.

If you would like to talk to a disability advocate in your area, I will be glad to forward some info to you. An advocate can help you sort this out. If it is a real possibility, you can also get assistance with forms, etc. from the advocate.

Email me at xxxxxxxxxx if you need more info.

The reason I became interested in disability advocacy is that I had success with my own SSDI claim first time around. I had a long career in disability management, mostly workers' comp and LTD, and am well versed in documenting disabling conditions. I truly hope I can eventually help Lyme patients with this difficult process. The system is very unfair. I have heard quite a few horror stories.

[This message has been edited by ConnieMc (edited 03 February 2005).]

Posts: 2275 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go on SS disability dont take yourself off untill say a year or two that you have completely recovered.
Reason very hard to get back on I speak from my Fathers experience 8 years of appeals.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lhm312
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connie, I sent you email, need advice, God bless you.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annie, yes, PLEASE contact Connie Mc! She has wonderful info, and referred me to her boss, Mick Mickler who runs Disability Advocates of America, LLC.
http://disability-advocate.com

toll free 866 215 5406

Mick is a retired SSD/DDS disability examiner from Texas who knows all the ins & outs of the process.

Also be sure to go to DISINISSUES yahoo web site. Do a SEARCH on here for it. It would be a HUGE advantage to go there.

In there is an example of a female MD's template to be used for FILING SSDI! Print a copy of this BEFORE your telephone hearing.

Read her detailed descriptions of what SHE CAN NOT DO FOR WORK; apply these ideas to your job situation.

It is NOT an easy job going thru this pure hell. I've been in this 4.5 years, and on my 2nd SSDI app.

12-23-04, appeals council turned down my 1st app and FAILED to provide me/my former lawyer a set of ALjudge hearing tapes so he could write a detailed brief! So AC denied without having a brief from my lawyer.

I'm working on this injustice w/out filing by Feb. 23 a civil court case against SSD.

So if you don't have the GUTS TO FIGHT continuously, don't even think about trying. All of your privacy is invaded, but you aren't married so they won't be able to invade your sex life too.

Again, do a search on medical questions, etc. going from screen to screen as it was recently posted here again. Best wishes!

If you do this CORRECTLY with ALL DETAILED INFO given, you can win on the 1st try using disinissues help! There is losts there too..months of reading.

Better to hold off filing until you get the needed info. Have you read your drs. medical reports on you? Mine were terrible and NOT detailed enough. What I was told & what was there were 2 different stories.

Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suvvyb
Member # 6474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suvvyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to reiterate the point, because I am unfortunately in the same boat...that those of us who have not paid enough IN, we have NOT accumulated enough credits to qualify for SSDI, and therefore do not qualify right off the bat. I'm 25, but have been sick since I was 20, so my work record has been sporadic at best.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. I just e-mailed you, Connie. I'd appreciate any info or help you could offer me.

It seems like I could qualify but I'm not sure so I'd like to look into it more before deciding whether or not to try filing. Right now I'm being supported by my parents but they are possibly moving away (far away) in July or August and I need to be able to live on my own for the most part. Even if they don't move, I need to move out at some point in the near future because it's just not healthy for me to be living with my family forever. So, basically the disability would help me to become independent but the fact that I'm currently a dependent might make it harder to get, I'm guessing.

I have a quick question - would me going back to school have any kind of negative effect? I want to go back sometime in the next year or so, probably just for a class or two at first and eventually back to finish. Anyone know anything about that? I know it doesn't count as work but it's kind of equivelant.

Thanks!

--Annie

------------------

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I successfully got disability on appeal (2nd) after I got a disability lawyer. If I was to do it again, I would get a layer from the start to do the process right. A non lawyer advocate is fine too, just get help with the process. I didnt pay anything for the lawyer until the case was won, and his payment came out of back payments SS owed me. If I was denied, I would not have owed him anything. This is a normal setup, SS has a cap on how much the lawyers are allowed to charge you, and they pay the lawyer directly. I was woking one six hour day a week, seasonally at the farmers market (about 17 days a year, 24 hours a month the months I worked) when I was approved. This was considered to be gainfully employed. My LLMD also wrote a great report that the judge read, and ordered tests like the spect scan to help prove the case. The back payments they owed definitelly made the out of pocket money for the LLMD and the hefty deductable for the spec scan worth it. It is hard to be clasified as disabled, but being able to pay bills keeps down stress, and having money to buy supplements and proper food helps with healing.

Do try so you can take better care of yourself

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Queenie Pie..

Gotta LOVE that name!

I tried to see your web site.. VERY interested.. but the link didn't work for me. Is it me.. or the link?

I would be pleased to help you with the info you were looking for about disability.. however.. for YOUR sake.. my bet is you would do MUCH better with Connie's help.

I haven't been through the process in years.. and she would be MUCH more up to date on the new "goings on". I would trust her ideas and her advise. She has helped a number of others in the past.. and I always have found her to have good info to share.

Tree made an excellent suggestion too. My doctor also advised me the same thing.. and once it comes through.. you have seen the problems doing it.. and to do it AGAIN.. BAD DEAL!

I will be happy to answer any direct questions I can.. but since these guys know the score.. their advise would be more on target.

If you need any medical abstracts or backing up.. I will be good with that part of the process. I think some other members posted some of the things they have used too.. so a search here at Lyme Net might help?

It feels like I am "dumping you".. but I am not meaning too! It is just sometimes folks who are more familiar would be a better starting point. I want you to have the best from the get-go.. and it ain't me.

But as they say 'round chere...

Better to be dumped, than to be dumped on.

NO.. that never made much sense to me either.. but it must mean something to these crazies. HA!

Good luck.. and do contact me if you have any questions they can't answer and I will do my best to help. OK?

Hey Annie ...

Read the note I just wrote to Queenie Pie. Same goes for you. Get the best help possible.. from those who know. OK?

Bettyg.. so sorry you are being slammed. Hang in there! I am glad to see you offering advise to others so readily too! VERY sweet of you!

Hey suv...

Is there anything we can do to help? Let us know.

Hey Mountainmoma...

I LOVE the mountains!

Tell me all about yours.

------------------
If you get the choice to sit it out or dance...

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mountainmoma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6503

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mountainmoma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I made a mistake in my post. The amount of work I did was NOT considered by SS to be gainfully empployed. That the trouble with us nuero lyme peopl--forget the important words.

Hey tincup--would love to discuss the mountains (or almost anything except being sick or kids) but I dont know how to do that, Im kinda new to talking to people online and this forum, I guess a different thread is started in off topic ???

Posts: 222 | From Santa Cruz Mountains, CA USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suvvyb
Member # 6474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for suvvyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup-

I'm in a "wait an see" holding pattern right now...I was actually just officially DX'd before the holidays, and just began treatment, and yes, woo hoo, just had my first herx last week.

I have actually been able to work full time, with my employer making accomidations for me as the neurological stuff has set in (I needed a quieter place to work, and I changed my hours, because it takes me so long to get ready in the morning).

They are willing to let me continue on at 30 hours a week so I can keep my benefits, but I'm not sure that's very realistic as things get cooking, so to speak. I'm a tough cookie, but there's just not much work I can do when I can't sit up!

I suppose I should start looking at options now, though, before that time comes...

Posts: 25 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tincup,

The link on Queenie Pie's post doesn't work right because there's a ")" at the end of it. Here's the right link:
Treasuer of Jewels

Queenie Pie,

I just took a look at your site and there are some very nice things there! I especially like the watches. I don't wear watches usually because they're uncomfortable but yours look more like bracelets than usual watches. Very nice!

Connie,

I e-mailed you yesterday. I hope you can help to steer me in the right direction!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to give it a shot to get SSI. It would really relieve a lot of stress on me and my parents. I hate feeling like a burden on my parents, needing them to pay for everything for me, and it would help my overall health if I had a little more independence!

Keeping my fingers crossed that I can apply with little problem and hopefully be accepted without a huge fight.

--Annie

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement