LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Newbie questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie questions
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All...and thx in advance for your help.

History:

Rash & swelling left elbow area 9/04
30+ Burrescano symptoms to date (most Neuro-muscular along with a few auto-immune)
Tested Poz on Elisa (1.57)/Neg on WB 12/04

12/15 Took 3 weeks of Doxycycline standard dose (I know that is not enough if it's LD or co-infection but it's all I could get out of the Drs.). I felt like I improved ALOT on it...especially the stomach and digestive issues I was having. (deducing either lactose or high-fat intolerant).

I am not 100% sure I have LD or maybe the southern version (STARI). I am going to a LLMD in the beginning of March which will hopefully figure it out.

I have had many "travelling" pains...mostly on my left side. Have any of you had them specifically in your Tendons?? It seems to me that whatever this is, it is hanging out and causing pain in the tendon area of my elbow, and now, front-left hip above my leg. I have also had this in the back of my knee, and the heel of my left foot (not the Achilles). Feels like I have pulled the tendons, like you can "pull a muscle". It does go away, but I am wondering now if they are becoming weaker.

In my determination to "eliminate possibilities" I had a spinal tap done yesterday (excellent neuro - no pain, no headache). I was also able to have him write me a prescription for 30 days of Doxy. My BIG question is...should I take it? Or will it throw-off the Testing/Bloodwork that the LLMD will be doing in March?

I appreciate all of your input!

Stay strong...and don't forget to laugh and smile!

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, abx can interfere with testing results in a variety of ways. I suggest calling and asking the LLMD about his preference on this, and faxing your current test results to him. Our LLMD did not have us repeat our tests given our symptomology, history, and the fact that he used the same lab as the doc who ordered the test.

Neg WB -- does that mean no bands at all? IgG, IgM? Because CDC negative for surveillance is NOT negative for diagnostic purposes.

There's also the issue of coinfection testing.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by minoucat (edited 29 January 2005).]

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

It is too late to chit chat.. but wanted to post here to bring this up to the top so the morning crew could see this and help you out.

Just a couple of quick notes...

Tendons.. yes. Spirochetes like to live in the tendons. Heck.. the ones in MY tendons actually sent me a certified letter stating they demanded to watch the Superbowl next weekend so they could "party" a little. The note was signed... "Tendon resident keets".

Ok.. they didn't really. It actually said they wanted to party THIS weekend and during the superbowl.. but I am TRYING to ignore the request for tomorrow cause I can ONLY take SO much.. ya know.

See the medical abstract I am posting below... where they found the spirochetes in the tendons of someone diagnosed with "trigger finger".

Take doxy or not? It is up to each individual LLMD. Some MAKE you.. not MAKE.. but WANT you to take one month of doxy prior to any testing.. some make you be off all antibiotics for 6 weeks before tests... and if you aren't.. testing will be delayed.. and so will treatment.

My thought is NOT to take it. But I am not a doctor.

But.... I wouldn't want to pay for tests if I MIGHT have done something to mess them up.

Hope you feel better soon!

Lettuce no how we can help.

Arthritis Rheum 1993 Nov;36(11):1621-6 Related Articles, Links

Persistence of Borrelia burgdorferi in ligamentous tissue from a patient with chronic
Lyme borreliosis.

Haupl T, Hahn G, Rittig M, Krause A, Schoerner C, Schonherr U, Kalden JR, Burmester
GR.

Department of Medicine III, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.

OBJECTIVE. To document the persistence of Borrelia burgdorferi in ligamentous
tissue samples obtained from a woman with chronic Lyme borreliosis.

METHODS. Spirochetes were isolated from samples of ligamentous tissue, and the
spirochetes were characterized antigenetically and by molecular biology techniques. The
ligamentous tissue was examined by electron microscopy. Humoral and cellular immune
responses were analyzed.

RESULTS. Choroiditis was the first recognized manifestation of Lyme disease in this
patient. Despite antibiotic therapy, there was progression to a chronic stage, with
multisystem manifestations. The initially significant immune system activation was
followed by a loss of the specific humoral immune response and a decrease in the cellular
immune response to B burgdorferi over the course of the disease.

"Trigger finger"
developed, and a portion of the flexor retinaculum obtained at surgery was cultured.
Viable spirochetes were identified.

Ultramorphologically, the spirochetes were situated
between collagen fibers and along fibroblasts, some of which were deeply invaginated by
these organisms. The cultured bacteria were identified as B burgdorferi by reactions with
specific immune sera and monoclonal antibodies, and by polymerase chain reaction
amplification and Southern blot hybridization techniques.

CONCLUSION. To our knowledge, this is the first report of the isolation of B
burgdorferi from ligamentous tissue. This suggests that tendon tissues serve as a specific site of spirochete residence in human hosts.

PMID: 8240439 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg
Member # 46416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, Welcome to this 24/7 support group board!

Here's TREEPATROL's and tincup's combination newbie links.

Print off the links then check them off as you read as you could spend several months reading all of this.

print & read Dr. Barrascono's info first; you will come back to this often.
Betty G., Iowa

Posts: 1 | From US | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone....

Betty...didn't see the links attached. Can you reply again with them? I did read the Burrescano doc...I about fell out of my chair after I read it since it finally validated all of my symptoms and suspicions...and gave me hope for an answer.

Tincup...thx! I think I saw in some posts that Treepatrol may have the tendon thing as well.

I am going to call the LLMD office this week and see what they want me to do.

Final question...I know that LD is the "Great Imitator". I have symptoms that could come from MS/Lupus/Connective Tissue diseases/Digestive parasites/bacteria...

I've had these since October of '04, but my immune system has actually seemed strong. Haven't had a cold or flu since.

Is there ANY other single condition/disease that could mimic a multi-system disease like LD ?

Thx again...Bill

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement