LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Riamet/Babesia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Riamet/Babesia
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how to get Riamet, aka b-artemether? My doc won't prescribe it because he's never heard of it. It's suppposed to be the best thing for babesia.
Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not available in the US yet.
Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a combination of artemisinin and some other stuff. Even though Riamet is not available in the U.S., you can still get arte. On the advice of Lymenet people, who recommend Allergy Research/Nutricology brand, I've been taking arte and mepron for about three months, and it's working spectacularly well. It made the Lyme abx that do work for me, like flagyl, much stronger, and it's gotten rid of these rolling, debilitating fevers.

I don't know where you live, but many vitamin stores, such as Vitamin Shoppe, will direct order arte for you, even if they don't keep it in stock. So don't be afraid to ask for it. If you do a Lymenet search, you can also find reputable online stores.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get Riamet from a pharmacy in europe at https://secure.meds4your health.com/index.php It cost just over $100. I ordered from them earlier this week. They appear to be reputable in that they have licensed pharmacists and they have physicians consult online to write prescriptions for you.

Riamet is a combination of 2 drugs in one tablet. Riamet is used extensively worldwide to treat malaria, esp in children. It is thought that it should work for babesia also. However, as GiGi points out, a relapse may happen if you do not first address heavy metals in your body.

My babs sx returned after six months on Zith/mepron/Artimisinin. So I am researching trying something new.

Riamet comes in a blister pack of 8 tablets. You can get either 2 or 3 blister packs. The dosage regimen is one dose of 4 tablets at 0,8,24,36,48,and 60 hours. This is for 24 tablets or three blister packs. The manufacturer is Novartis and they have more info on this at www.reismed/riamet.pdf. That is how I learned about it.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I think that the above link doesn't work. Please try this:
http://www.reisemed.at/riamet.pdf

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Liz, are you taking the mepron without zithromax? I am already taking artemisinin and flagyl. I have a bottle of mepron but stopped the mepron/zith treatment because the zith made me break out in a rash. But if the mepron/arte combination is working for you I might try it.

Paula

quote:
Originally posted by liz28:
It's a combination of artemisinin and some other stuff. Even though Riamet is not available in the U.S., you can still get arte. On the advice of Lymenet people, who recommend Allergy Research/Nutricology brand, I've been taking arte and mepron for about three months, and it's working spectacularly well. It made the Lyme abx that do work for me, like flagyl, much stronger, and it's gotten rid of these rolling, debilitating fevers.

I don't know where you live, but many vitamin stores, such as Vitamin Shoppe, will direct order arte for you, even if they don't keep it in stock. So don't be afraid to ask for it. If you do a Lymenet search, you can also find reputable online stores.

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, sorry I missed this until now.

First, please keep in mind that I'm just some Lymenet lurker and not a doctor, and can't say whether the same abx combination works for everyone!

That said, I've been taking mepron 10/ml/2x day, Allergy Research or Nutricology artemisinin 400mg/day (but check the official dose on this, 400mg is more than some knowledgeable Lymenetters recommend), and ketek. The babesia is still sort of around, but it's mostly gone.

One thing about flagyl... it's so powerful, there is a possibility it may suppress the symptoms of co-infections without curing them. Before going off any co-infection treatment, you might want to give yourself a test run without flagyl, and see if you relapse.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Thanks Liz. I am taking the same arte dose as you. What is ketek?

I wasn't specific enough before - I'm taking the flagyl along with doxy, for the Lyme. I'm tempted to stop treating myself for the Lyme while getting over the babesia, because I'm not even sure if I still have Lyme, but the doctor doesn't recommend it, so I haven't.

quote:
Originally posted by liz28:
Hi, sorry I missed this until now.

First, please keep in mind that I'm just some Lymenet lurker and not a doctor, and can't say whether the same abx combination works for everyone!

That said, I've been taking mepron 10/ml/2x day, Allergy Research or Nutricology artemisinin 400mg/day (but check the official dose on this, 400mg is more than some knowledgeable Lymenetters recommend), and ketek. The babesia is still sort of around, but it's mostly gone.

One thing about flagyl... it's so powerful, there is a possibility it may suppress the symptoms of co-infections without curing them. Before going off any co-infection treatment, you might want to give yourself a test run without flagyl, and see if you relapse.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement