LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 1st time stopping abx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1st time stopping abx
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with BB in January 2004; have been on abx since then: combo's of 2 or 3 out of: Plaquenil, Biaxin, Bicillin, Mepron, Zithromax and the last one Ketek. After 12 weeks of Ketek, my LLMD told me to get off the Ketek (only abx I was taking) and report in 3 weeks.

I had my last Ketek last Thursday (today is Monday). Yesterday afternoon and today afternoon I am soooooooooooooo tired - not funny. I also feel cold chills. Are these symptoms of something? Has anybody experience that they would like to share?

Thanks,

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tim,

Just wondering how long you were sick on how good you felt before going on off antibiotics?

Did the Bicillin help?? I start mine today!

Hope you feel better!

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dullchime
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dullchime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote about this very thing a little bit ago. I thought i was doing okay for about 3 months with no real bad herx.

I stopped taking my abx (sort of an experiment) and about 5 days in I started feeling horrible and restarted my abx routine again.

One week later, right on time, I started herxing hard and its been about 2 weeks now. Ive been coming home and having the horrid afternoon feeling.

As Calilymer asked: Did YOU feel it was time to quit the abx?? You seemed to be a little reluctant about the decision. Just my feeling.

I thought I was- and boy was I wrong. Made me realize how far I really have to go.

THIS has definitely been some interesting 7 months i'll tell you that.

Posts: 232 | From kennett square, PA USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lla2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lla2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes you'll feel lousy for a while in regular herxing like patterns after stopping hte abx...your body is 'used to ' responding this way..give it time to clear everything out before you rush back in...that is if you've been on abx long enough to really kill everything adn your llmd and you agree onthis protocol.

i was on for 2 adn 1/2 years and have been off for a month and find that I still have cycles of herxing , but then it stops..i do feel much better off..I'm told it's my own immune response automatically responding, that's how we develop auto immune diseases...gotta break the cycle and strengthen your own immune sysstm not to respond to something that is no longer there!

it's hard and it's scary when you keep thinking its coming back...but I've been told to keep forging again..it DOES get easier...adn your body will get used to it...

Lisa

Posts: 4713 | From saunderstown, ri Usa | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tvalentijn:
I was diagnosed with BB in January 2004; have been on abx since then: combo's of 2 or 3 out of: Plaquenil, Biaxin, Bicillin, Mepron, Zithromax and the last one Ketek. After 12 weeks of Ketek, my LLMD told me to get off the Ketek (only abx I was taking) and report in 3 weeks.

I had my last Ketek last Thursday (today is Monday). Yesterday afternoon and today afternoon I am soooooooooooooo tired - not funny. I also feel cold chills. Are these symptoms of something? Has anybody experience that they would like to share?

Thanks,

Tim

How long were you infected?

It could be the lyme coming back or the flu.

You didnt seem to be on abx's very long especialy if you were infected very long.

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the feedback. To be more precise:

I think I was infected 2.1/2 years before I was diagnosed. I started my abx January 2004. The abx I have used is as follows:

Plaquenil, Biaxin (Jan 2004)
Plaquenil, Biaxin, Bicillin (Feb - May)
Switched doctor to a real LLMD
Bicillin (May)
Bicillin, Zithromax, Mepron (May - Nov)
Bicillin, Ketek, Mepron (Nov - Dec)
Ketek, Mepron (Dec)
Ketek (Dec - Feb)

Everything has helped me, some more than others. The Bicillin gave me AMAZING herxes but my LLMD said that you normally wait with Bicillin to use that at the end. The Mepron helped me a lot as well for my lungs (Babesia?).

The Ketek has helped me a lot with my inflamation of my cartlage in my chest (costo condritis). Re inflamation, I had the highest C Reactive Protein (CRP) for the longest time: 140 in the beginning, then down to 40 for long time. The liver produces CRP to help fight inflammations. But if you have it for a long time it eats away the inside of your blood vessels - fun! But with the Ketek, my CRP dropped to 5. Normal levels are at or below 1.

The only big herxes I have experienced was on the Bicillin. After that, the rest was a walk in the park. Ketek, Zith, Mepron gave me aches in the back of my head. I don't know if those were herxes but compared to the Bicillin it was nothing. The Bicillin herxes were so strong because I used it so early in the fight (massive die off).

When I stopped I was feeling great, like 95% back to normal. I was even working out (weights and 25 minutes swimming without stopping).

I don't know if I was ready to stop, it was pretty scary. I still had some chest pain, ringing in ears, arthritis in my knee. But I think he wanted me to stop also to see what happens to my CRP after stopping. After a few days, the chest pain seems to be a bit more, but that can also be psychological. Any way, I feel very tired in the afternoon and my throat hurts like I am getting sick (I used to have that all the time before I started abx). I feel like my body is fighting something, on it's own, without abx help. Can that be or am I imagining things? So I guess I agree with Lisa, that my body is getting back into the fight itself.

Ciao,

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2.5 years infected and off abx's now.
It may have not been long enough?

I dont see Flagyl for cysts in your list.
Thats not good.Plaquenil, Biaxin (Jan 2004)
Plaquenil, Biaxin, Bicillin (Feb - May)
Switched doctor to a real LLMD
Bicillin (May)
Bicillin, Zithromax, Mepron (May - Nov)
Bicillin, Ketek, Mepron (Nov - Dec)
Ketek, Mepron (Dec)
Ketek (Dec - Feb)

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 08 February 2005).]

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4622

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on antibiotics for 9 months. I have been off for a little over 3 months now and doing well, although I do still herx a bit every 28 days on cue.

You could have been exposed to a virus and your already compromised immune system is trying desperately to fight it off.

I had a similar scenario last month when almost everyone around me came down with a stomach virus. I felt a little nauseous, night chills (but no fever), head pains and fatigue. I happened to see my LLMD that week, and she felt that was what was going on. It passed it about a week and then I was totally fine again.

I too was nervous about going off abx. However, I didn't go off completely at once. Rather, my LLMD implemented a gradual cut back in doses that took almost 3 months start to finish. I reduced 1 pill a day every 2 weeks. I also am still taking Prima Una de Gato twice a day, plus tons of supplements, acidophillus and yeast treatment.

If your symptoms continue to progress, please call your LLMD (actually, you should alert him anyway). Even though it may be viral, it may stir up some other symptoms you haven't experienced in quite a while.

------------------
Julie G.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

I just spoke with my LLMD. He thinks that the bacteria are 'shedding'. I asked what shedding is, he said bacteria shed like dogs shed hair; strange... And your body reacts to that just like a herx, but it's not caused by dead bacteria.

He told me it's not like the bacteria are taking over your body, so no need to panick. He asked me to tough it out, hopefully for a few weeks. He gave me a prescription for tetracycline, just in case I can't make it.

Has anybody heard about shedding of bacteria? He also called it 'blogging' or 'blobbing' or something like that.

Tim

treepatrol
Member # 4117

Read this its blebs
http://www.canlyme.com/burgdorfer.html

And this http://www.canlyme.com/tom.html

If you have blebs you have lyme yet. I wouldnt change thats perty good.

[This message has been edited by treepatrol (edited 09 February 2005).]

tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

hi Treepatrol, why change MD's? My MD is a real LLMD - Dr. P. in Connecticut - president of ILADS...
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

update:

I actually started to feel pretty good Tuesday night and Wednesday / today the whole day. At some point even better than before going off the abx (less chest pain).

I hope that the effing cysts have come out so I can smack them with my new abx three weeks from now. I am not sure but I think my LLMD is thinking of doing a pulse method for a while and then do a cyst buster like Flagyl.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement