LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Poll: Increased sx after Sun exposure or in Spring/Summer?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poll: Increased sx after Sun exposure or in Spring/Summer?
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mycoplasma1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who had increased fatigue and inflammatory sx after sun exposure in spring/summer.

I am trying to figure out if it's just me as I have high 1,25 D levels and get weaker and have spells of dizziness/heart arrythmmias/chest pain spasms after being in the sun for any length of time. Also sweating and nausea at times.

I am trying to figure out if this is a herx or Candida die-off or Sarcoid sx.

Always begins for me in the Spring and Summer.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 216 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had any autoimmune labs done such as ANA? I have greatly increased symptoms after warm sun exposure, and have had somewhat highly positive ANA along with a positive skin biopsy for autoimmune activity (they told me it was cutaneous lupus for lack of a better idea).

Lyme can apparently trigger autoimmunity, so many would not say that this autoimmune activity is anything but Lyme w/this manifestation.

I have to wear sunblock (Neutrogena wtitanium dioxide) and long sleeves. Driving can be a real problem, and I also cover my hands.

Good luck!

p.s. my daughter had a hugely elevated ANA which has resolved w/antibiotics for Lyme.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mycoplasma1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Liddie I had an ANA, many actually and it was always 1:80 Speckled pattern, which is mildly elevated.

I was in LA at the time and seeing a very good Lupus Dr. He gave me a med pac trial which I felt better on, but later said the problem was either infectious or endocrine.

Then the infectious disease Dr. did every test in the book and thought I was crazy (with the panic attacks and all!). He finally did a Stonybrook test which was indeterminate and I came home to my parents in Upstate NY where I am now.

Finally seeing an LLMD who thinks it's chronic Lyme, and I am weighing my options regarding abx.

Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 216 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

Up!
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

I guess I'm the only one.
HEATHERKISS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6789

Icon 7 posted      Profile for HEATHERKISS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had an extremely high ANA and have shown signs of Lupus.

The past 2 summers have been brutal. If I'm in the sun too long ( longer than 15 minutes ) I get heat stoke. Dizzy, Brite red face, vomit.

Also I wear really dark glasses all year.

So far this year no symptoms. Even on vacation in Calif, Nevada and Arizona.

Knock on wood. (knocking on my head) I hope it is the antibiotics working.

Posts: 1974 | From ABERDEEN, NJ 07747 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mycoplasma1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6377

I guess I'm the only one.
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,
I've recently had a flare up/relapse- definitely worse symtoms after spending a week in the Bahamas-

can't tell though if it's the sun- as I've also switched ABX-

It did occur to me however that the sun could have played a role-

thanks for asking this question-

Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 12 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO WAY....the two of us lymies/babsies in this household feel much better when in the sun, hot and sweaty.

So does my wife's lymie aunt in CT.

This led me to discard the Marshall protocol theory entirely.

If my joints are going to swell they do it in cold weather and that 'nip' in the air that many of you cherish drives me inside and turning the thermostat up to 80.

I couldn't stand it anywhere but the sunbelt.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 6 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually feel better in the warmth and sun too (and the nip in the air absolutely is biting pain too) but do get that exhausted, dizzy sensation after being out all day in the sun. My joint/muscle, brain symptoms seem to be a little better though.

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bg2711
Member # 1865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bg2711     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Micoplasma,

No you are not alone. I also have a positive ANA and it is speckeled. Went to Rheumi who said it wasn't Lupus, couldn't give it a name, said there were so many autoimmune type things, he may never be able to give it a name. Never went back as he didn't have much to offer me.

He suggested Plaquenil at the time, but i didn't take it. Now since I have been on this board and see it is used for Lyme, I sometimes think maybe it may help with my symptoms.

I have just learned to avoid sun as much as possible. I have to wear long sleeves in summer/spring and wear sun block and sunglasses and try to limit exposure time. Even in the car it bothers me. So........vacations are out for me!!!

This all started about 3 years after being diagnosed with Lyme. have had Lyme for about 13 years. Anitibiotics help,but never take it fully away for me. I am going to try and lessen my vitmain D intake to see if it will help. I do eat a lot of dairy.

For me the sun is my # one enemy, well that and MCS. The sun makes me very ill, i get dizzy, nauseous diahreah, shakey feel like I will faint or die when exposed to sun. Sometimes I break out in rashes when in sunlight just for minutes, othertimes no rashes but feel like death.

My symptoms are definately much worse during these months.

I love rain, gloom and darkness, I feel much better.

It makes my spring and summer a nightmare. Some summers/ springs are worse than others. I have a lot of sensitivity to lights as well.

If you want to talk more, feel free to email me. I know this is a tough symptom as these months are getting into full swing.

The sun causes terrible anxiety/panic issues for me as well.

Good luck, hope this helps. Barb

[This message has been edited by bg2711 (edited 17 April 2005).]

Posts: 1131 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheCrimeOfLyme
Member # 4019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheCrimeOfLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No youre not alone in this.

Heat kills lyme, period. You could actually simply herx from the heat and the sun.

On top of that, with the symptoms you described that you get in the heat, theres a very high chance your blood pressure is

not donig what its suppossed to do ( maintain itself- very common deficit among lymmies) under heat.. Read up on orthostatic hypotension or Neurally mediated hypotension and see if that fits your symptoms in the heat.

Posts: 3169 | From Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had increased neurological symptoms with sunlight for the last 2 1/2 years and now have problems with indoor incandescent lights also. What causes this to start later in the illness if it is Lyme?? All auto-immune tests are negative.
Posts: 509 | From southern new jersey | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lonestartick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonestartick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Mycoplasma1,

If you want to have some fun, look up the search words "sun AND immune AND suppression" on PubMed. Leave the quotation marks out, but AND or any MESH terms need to be capitalized.

You will find 18 pages of references, most of which document the suppressive effects of sun (UB) exposure on the immune system. This means it's probably not a good idea to soak up the sun while one is fighting a chronic infectious disease.

LST

Posts: 487 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement