LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » work related question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: work related question
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What have others of you done trying to explain some of the neuro issues of lyme to your employer? I have been on a roller coaster the last year at work. I have managed to there 40 per week now but have been on the edge of not being able to keep up. I work in a Corporate environment that is very demanding. There is a major lack of compassion and understanding how this disease goes in cycles and can change how one is affected. I have spoken to my team lead in my department but they don't believe all of this. They are trying to find ways to get ride of me by documenting every little error that occurs in my performance. I have kept up a pretty good front from how I am really feeling, but my abilities have been affected in major ways. I was out for a number of weeks due to how bad I was affected and the Med department has documentation that I have lymes but how else can one cover ones butt
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's tons of med brochures explaining lyme symptoms that may help. Unfortunately, it sounds like the powers that be at work aren't very receptive.

I know some on the board have reduced their abx intake to keep the herx's at a tolerable level. Perhaps, your LLMD can write something stating that you'll be experiencing various symptoms, etc., and this would give you a breather from the vultures at work.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kick it up for a few more opinions, as many here have been down this road. ^^^^
Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is cyber-commuting part of the time an option? Or reduce your hours.

My man has this option, but has resisted it. He is about to crash physically, but can't see it. I know he is haven't trouble getting along with the clients and co-workers. Having been there myself I can ignore his bad behavior at home.

Chris needs more sleep and doesn't get that yet.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindy_leigh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cindy_leigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check into FMLA. there are two types-- one for a continuous period of leave, and another for episodic absences. (Ex.: migraines. You do not take a month off, but instead, you are covered for unpredictible absences when the migraine does pop up). You can't be penalized for missing time then if the condition is covered by your FMLA papers from your doctor.
Posts: 688 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymester
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5848

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Lymester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Corp is tough. Cannot share personal health issues with certain people and I would avoid even the mention of "lyme". I also would consider FMLA or short/long-term disability but would definitely do everything not to use lyme or episodes as the reason. That is just me in my current environment.

People -- more than we think-- have no clue. We become a burden to the position if they know it's a type of illness that can reoccur.

If you are in a position of high-standing or can afford your own insurance, there' s some weight there.

I need to be employed to insure family. I have only told co-worker (has cancer and monthly chemo). We cover each other during doc appointments.

Posts: 519 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troup Brazelton
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troup Brazelton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can not do your job to acceptable standards, either mental or physical, then medical leave would be appropriate. Most insurance is continued to those on medical leave. Check with your doctor and then your boss. See if the doctor understands your position and then check with your boss to see if you are or not living up to his expectations. Be honest, if you have to sue someone later, the truth will be important in court.
Posts: 219 | From Aubur,Al. USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement