LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » whos on acid blockers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: whos on acid blockers?
Nal
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who here takes proton pump inhibitors? How long have you been on them and which kind do you take? Whats your dose?

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure this is a proton pump inhibitor....I'm back on prilosec. I take 20mg twice a day.

I've been on something similar for about 3-4 yrs. I was off of them for awhile, then ran into trouble again.

How are you doing?

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
like Lymetoo I'm on Prilosec 20mgs twice a day for almost 4 months...
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on nexium for almost a year. Don't know if it is a proton pump inhibitor but it is comparable to prilosec.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im still so darn miserable! My stomach still burns, aches, I get nausous, etc. I had a hida scan done on my gallbladder this past week-don't have the results back in yet. All the GI dr can find is "non-erosive gastritis". Ive been on acid blockers for almost 5 years now! I just switched to Prilosec (20 mg 2's daily). For about 5 days I felt better and now it's all come back again.

I hate all this! i dont know if its lyme or not. I cant be on any antibiotics (wasn't on any in the first place). I sometimes wish God would just take me away-im tired of fighting.

Nancy

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2matt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2matt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy,

I have the burning, stomach upset, nausea...scope shows the same thing, non-erosive gastritis. And trust me I have a million other symptoms that all started within a short time of each other. You should definitely look into it more. Do you have other LD symptoms?

Terri

Posts: 120 | From Northeast, MA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you all know that bartonella damages your GI.
It seems to be her favorite site beside the eyes according to another LLMD that I know plus the one that is treating me now.

I've been battling lyme for 5 years and the only cure for my gi symptoms was levaquin prescribed for bartonella.......

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

MomtoMatt,

I do have a positive igenx test for Lyme and Bartonella. The GI is the most horrendous!! What else should I look into? Tried diets and such (yeast, no gluten, etc). What are you doing to help your symptoms? What else are you looking into? Feel free to email me too if youd like.

Lymeblue,

I tried levaquin-it nearly killed me. I could not tolerate any of the side effects. Any good articles,web sites, etc that you are willing to share i would greatly appreciate. My lyme went into remission on its own a couple years ago-how is that possible. Then it came back and about a year later the stomach problems came back too. Grrrrrr.

Nancy

mom2matt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2matt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nancy,

I haven't been treated for Lyme yet so I don't know what helps. I can't eat most days...maybe a half a banana and try to get some protein in with chicken or nuts. I drink tons of water. I had been eating more, but having a flare up again and forcing myself to drink...been very hard. I wish I could help more, but if I learn of anything I will pass it on.

Terri

Posts: 120 | From Northeast, MA, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Thanks Terri. Email me sometime if youd like. We can co-miserate together then. The hardest part is keeping up with my kids for me-just very tough!

Nancy

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When your system is acidic...kiss the beneficial bacteria goodbye.

Your stomach is acidic (moreso) because high stomach acids PROMOTE the growth of the beneficial bacteria. (Common with autistic kids.)

More stomach acids...breakdown foods to FEED the beneficial bacteria which in turn not only absorb nutrients, but MAKE many nutrients for us.

Loading doses of GOOD probiotics.

Healing BEGINS IN THE GUT.

You HAVE to be able to absorb nutrients and make others.

Bb loves an acidic environment.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prilosec is a proton pump inhibitor.

Susceptibility of motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi to ranitidine bismuth citrate.

Brorson O, Brorson SH.

Department of Microbiology, Vestfold Sentralsykehus, Tonsberg, Norway.

Gastrointestinal symptoms accompanying Lyme disease have not been considered in the treatment of Lyme patients yet. Here we examine the effect of ranitidine bismuth citrate (RBC) on motile and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi in vitro, to determine whether it could cure this bacterial infection in the gastrointestinal tract.

When motile forms of B. burgdorferi were exposed to RBC for 1 week at 37 degrees C, the minimal bactericidal concentration (MBC) was > 64 mg/ml. At 30 degrees C, the MBC was > 256 mg/ml. When the incubation lasted for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, the MBC dropped to > 2 mg/ml. Bismuth aggregates were present on the surface of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC, as shown by transmission electron microscopy (TEM).

Cystic forms of B. burgdorferi, exposed to RBC for 2 weeks at 37 degrees C, were examined by cultivation in BSK-H medium (Sigma B3528). They were stained with acridine orange (pH 6.4, pH 7.4) and studied by TEM. The MBC for RBC for young cystic forms (1 day old) and old cysts (8 months old) was estimated to be > 0.125 mg/ml and > 2 mg/ml, respectively.

Bismuth aggregates were attached to the cysts and, in some, the pin-shaped aggregates penetrated the cyst wall. The bismuth aggregates also bound strongly to blebs and granules of B. burgdorferi when RBC > or = MBC.

When B. burgdorferi is responsible for gastrointestinal symptoms, bismuth compounds may be candidates for eradication of the bacterium from the gastrointestinal tract.

PMID: 12051564

H. pylori Cytotoxin Inhibits T Cell Activation

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Aug 21 - Helicobacter pylori is known to produce a cytotoxin, called VacA, that causes vacuolation in epithelial cells. Now, new data indicate that VacA can also block proliferation of T cells, a finding that may help explain the chronic nature of H. pylori infections.

In a study reported in the August 22nd issue of Science, Dr. Rainer Haas and colleagues, from the Max von Pettenkofer-Institute fur Hygiene and Medizinische Mikrobiologie, infected T cells with wild-type H. pylori or with strains lacking the genes for virulence factors, such as VacA and CagA--another pathogenic protein.

When VacA was present, T cell activation and proliferation was inhibited, the authors note. VacA seemed to cause this effect by inducing a G1/S cell cycle arrest. Specifically, the cytotoxin interfered with an IL-2 signaling pathway by blocking the enzyme calcineurin, ultimately leading to decreased IL-2 transcription.

The ability of VacA to inhibit calcineurin is similar to that of FK506 (tacrolimus), a widely used immunosuppressive agent, the researchers note.

The results suggest that VacA "might act as a 'long distance weapon' to efficiently block proliferation of T cells in the local gastric environment," the authors state. "For H. pylori, classified as type I carcinogen, a mechanism of local immune suppression might also be an important instrument for induction of malignant" disease, they add.

Science 2003;301:1099-1102.

Ask your doctor about the possibly of taking Zantac (1) and the usual dose of Pepto Bismol before bed for one week ONLY. Be sure to take probiotics with a full glass of water one hour before breakfast and before lunch.

Sometimes the above has to periodically be repeated.

We are all exposed to the pathogens on occasion (including H. pylori).

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
When your system is acidic...kiss the beneficial bacteria goodbye.

Your stomach is acidic (moreso) because high stomach acids PROMOTE the growth of the beneficial bacteria.

More stomach acids...breakdown foods to FEED the beneficial bacteria which in turn not only absorb nutrients, but MAKE many nutrients for us.

Bb loves an acidic environment.

Man! I get so confused by this!! Your first statement sounds like acid is very bad.

The next two statements say it's good. [???]

Then you say Bb loves the acidic environment.

So please explain so this pea-sized brain will finally get it..????

------------------
Do not take anything I say as medical advice. I am not a doctor, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulscha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6334

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulscha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, to echo the last two commenters, my new LLMD says h. pylori is a common cause of oral abx intolerance.

Unfortunately, the remedy he mentioned was, naturally, a specific combination of oral antibiotics. Might be worth the grief if that's it, if you can get the test done I would.

Posts: 199 | From Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on protonix 40mg once a day, and Carafate 10ml 4 times a day and my stomach is still really bad. I'm seeing A GI doctor.

Kathy

quote:
Originally posted by Nal:
Who here takes proton pump inhibitors? How long have you been on them and which kind do you take? Whats your dose?

Nancy

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyddie
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a lot of cases, the proton pump inhibitors treat the symptoms and not the cause, and in some cases may even worsen the cause, even if they seem to be helping.

For instance, they encourage overgrowth of yeast and bacteria. It also seems intuitive that the body needs acid to digest so problems might arise with long-term use.

Have you been checked for yeast in your GI tract? This can be done by endoscopy/biopsy or in tests through Great Smokies labs. My daughter had these problems w/gastritis and inability to eat, and treatment with fluconazole after diagnosis w/yeast, really helped.

Once the yeast is gone, the gut still needs to heal. She is on a special diet to eliminate foods that irritate her "leaky gut" and taking enzymes. She will later do L-Glutamine and herbs to help heal the gut lining.

Proton pump inhibitors are an eady fic for MD's to throw at the problem. Recovery is a long road, but it is good to find out whatever is causing the problem and not just treat symptoms.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nal,

As Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain."

I spent the first 3 years trying to figure out what was going on with my stomach. Have burning in my stomach and liver area. I have shown some improvement with treatment. I just started levaquin so we will see how that works out.

One suggestions that USE TO REALLY help me in the beginning was taking Questran. I took before I knew I had Lyme and it actually took care of the stomach burning that major dosases of protonix wouldn't.

Just wondering what side effects did Levaquin give you?? Maybe it was a herx??

best wishes,

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Ive tried a couple times to come off of acid blockers the last couple of years. Each time my esophagus would burn up so darn bad I thought I would die!! I see my GI dr again this week. I definately want off of them and I think the only way is gonna be surgery.

Nancy

lou
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If lyme/bartonella are causing this and you are not getting any treatment, then it isn't going to get better. Would be sorry to see you have surgery if this is the situation.

You could look into transdermal, IM, or IV antibiotics if you are having trouble with orals.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

The formula above (based on the abstract) works this way:

Zantac reduces stomach acids...shuts off their release.

Then you take Pepto Bismol...which is Bismuth (a powerful mineral/metal) that is combined with salicylate (a *salt or an ester of salicylic acid)

This knocks off H. Pylori and Bb in the GI.

***But we can't continue this...'cause we do need our stomach to be acidic...to breakdown the foods.***

Hence timing and limited use. This likely will knock off some good guys with the bad, so probiotics one hour before bkfst and lunch with a full glass of water is important...very.

Now...did you happen to catch the new drug that is going to be avail. in Sept. to aid sleep? It hit the news today.

Talk about co-incidence!!!

Thank you Lord...for the sign.

Use your skin...your largest organ...to get alkaline (baths). Get your mits on every antioxidant known to mankind.

With this disease, a LOT of damaging free radicals happen. These are, for the most part, lone oxygen molecules. The antioxidants combat this.

liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken Prevacid twice a day for seven years.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement