LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pulse 5 days on --- 2 days off or similar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pulse 5 days on --- 2 days off or similar
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Zithromax/Ceftin ABx and was wondering if anyone here pulsed a few days each week?

I just feel like I need a couple of days to rest from all the herxing? I've even cut the dosage in half because I'm a small person. I will ask at my next appointment but wanted to know if anyone here has done this successfully.

Thanks ---- ya'll (Southern accent) are great!

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 63

Icon 2 posted      Profile for nan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sandy,

There is no harm in taking a couple of days off when you are herxing badly. I did it many times!
As treatment progresses, these herxes lessen in intensity and become tolerable.

If you are reluctant to do this, I would call your doctor for his advice. That's what you pay him for:)

Good luck....nan:)

--------------------
nan

Posts: 2135 | From Tick Country | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nan,

That's so good to hear. Sometimes I think my body knows what it needs before my doc does.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sandy, zith stays in your system for several days anyhow, so the pulsing won't hurt your treatment. Are you taking a good probiotic at least 2 hours before or after you take your abx ?
Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Probiotic --- yes, Garden of Life's Primal Defense. I'm taking 4 a day. It really helps.
Thanks!

Sandy

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good evening Sandy,

I have pulsed with much overall success for a long while now. Right now, it is 5 days on, 2 days off, and 3 weeks on, one week off.

I also pulse in Flagyl on the third week only. For me, this has really helped with functioning at a higher level.

Hope your doc is open to this, as I do think pulsing has many merits.

My best,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Thanks Melanie,
I feel like I can actually see a little light at
the end of the tunnel. The depression that comes with the ABx takes some getting used too.

I appreciate your response ~~~ Sandy

Nancy-FL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sandy, Melanie, & Nan

My husband has been "tinkering" with his protocol until we can get to an LLMD. He is alternating Cipro, Biaxin, and Doxycycline. He is taking them three days on, and three days off. Is there any magic number to the days on and days off? And is it usually recommended to go off for a week every three weeks? He is taking the probotics, cat's claw and coloidal silver. Can't really say that we know what herxing is; he just feels crumby most of the time and suffers from extreme fatigue.

Since it is taking us months to get in with an LLMD, we are hoping that he is doing the right thing until we can get there. Any suggestions?

Thanks, y'all -
Nancy

Posts: 119 | From Southwest Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Gosh Nancy,

It is so difficult to say what is the best way to do that. We are all so unique in our responses to treatment, that what works well for me, may not do anything for another...OR, may be a really bad choice for another. This is why it is not a good idea to self-medicate.

But, I do see your dilemma.

There are at least 2 schools of thought on pulsing.
One theory is that pulsing may cause the body to become resistant to ABX, so this method should be avoided. This school usually thinks that a `cidal' level of meds should be maintained in order to keep killing at all times.

The other theory is that with certain meds, a proper `cidal' level can be used for the most part, but pulsing allows for a brief `static' level when off.

In other words...kill 5 days...hold at bay for 2. As opposed to kill for 7 days.

All protocols should be monitored closely by your LLMD.

Now, having said that...if it were me in your position, I think I would not pulse. I think I would take a steady dose of recommended meds to keep up the `cidal' levels until I had a good plan in place with a good LLMD. Being VERY careful to not overdue, and knowing that if things got too intense, I could back off.

Remember, some docs start patients out at low levels of meds to monitor their responses before increasing dosages. This is a very wise approach, and should be considered by you until you can get in with a good doc.

Also, by taking so many different things and alternating them too, he is really not going to be able to find out what exactly is helping and what may be contributing to the overall cruddy feeling.

Personally, I think `tinkering' should be left to those who have been at this awhile, and have a great understanding of meds and of how their body responds to meds.

Hoping this made sense...I'm a bit tired.
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy-FL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7986

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy-FL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Melanie, what you said does make sense. The doctor who diagnosed Bruce and prescribed the antibiotics is very caring, but gave us little guidance, unfortunately. That is why we are seeking an LLMD. Bruce has done little more than increase the dosage on a couple of the anitbiotics as a result of reading Dr. Burrascano's guidelines. Hopefully we will get into an LLMD soon and get some better information. Until then we will leave things alone and wait for better advice.

Thanks so much for caring -
Nancy

Posts: 119 | From Southwest Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

All the best to you and Bruce, Nancy. He is most fortunate to have such a loving advocate!

Sandy, yes- sometimes depression comes with the meds, the disease, and from dealing with chronic illness. A tuff battle for sure. If it does get overwhelming- be certain to seek help, OK?

I am pleased that light is breaking through for you- hold on to that, and you will do fine. I am reminded of a Maya Angelo poem, which went something like this:

``Hope and despair cannot occupy the same place.
Invite one to stay.''

karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

``Hope and despair cannot occupy the same place.
Invite one to stay.''

Melanie --- I've got to remember that!!! Thanks!

Sandy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement