LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question on Meds biaxin ceftin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on Meds biaxin ceftin
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My INS would not cover the primay med of these two. only if my dco specifically stated. So they gave me cefuroxime and clarithromycin. They in te same family but I question if the primany instead of the generic would be the best to take. If I am going to go thrught this stuf I want to make sure that I am gettng what is needed - thanks to as always.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cefuroxime
Active Ingredients: Cefuroxime
Representative Names: Ceftin

What are cefuroxime tablets?
What should my health care professional know before I take cefuroxime?
How should I take this medicine?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with cefuroxime?
What side effects may I notice from taking cefuroxime?
What should I watch for while taking cefuroxime?
Where can I keep my medicine?

What are cefuroxime tablets?
CEFUROXIME (Ceftin�) is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It treats many kinds of infections including those of the skin, respiratory tract (tonsillitis and bronchitis), sinuses, ear, and urinary tract. Cefuroxime also treats some sexually transmitted disease. Generic cefuroxime tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I take cefuroxime?
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*bleeding problems
*kidney disease
*stomach or intestinal problems (especially colitis)
*other chronic illness
*an unusual or allergic reaction to cefuroxime, other cephalosporin antibiotics, penicillin, penicillamine, other foods, dyes or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

Take cefuroxime tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Cefuroxime works best if you take it with food. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses. There should be an interval of at least 10 to 12 hours between doses.

What drug(s) may interact with cefuroxime?
*other antibiotics
*probenecid
*water pills

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking cefuroxime?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
*difficulty breathing, wheezing
*dizziness
*fever or chills, sore throat
*headache
*reduced amount of urine
*redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
*seizures (convulsions)
*severe or watery diarrhea
*skin rash, itching
*swollen joints
*unusual bleeding or bruising
*unusual weakness or tiredness

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*diarrhea
*gas or heartburn
*nausea, vomiting
*vaginal itching

What should I watch for while taking cefuroxime?
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your symptoms do not begin to improve in a few days.

If you are diabetic you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Check with your prescriber or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.

If you get severe or watery diarrhea, do not treat yourself. Call your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

If you are being treated for a sexually transmitted disease, avoid sexual contact until you have finished your treatment. Having sex can infect your sexual partner.

Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.

Last Updated:10/29/2003

The one above okay

Clarithromycin
Active Ingredients: Clarithromycin
Representative Names: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

What are clarithromycin tablets and extended-release tablets?
What should my health care professional know before I take clarithromycin?
What if I miss a dose?
What drug(s) may interact with clarithromycin?
What side effects may I notice from taking clarithromycin?
What should I watch for while taking clarithromycin?

What are clarithromycin tablets and extended-release tablets?
CLARITHROMYCIN (Biaxin� or Biaxin� XL) is an antibiotic. Clarithromycin kills certain bacteria or stops their growth. It treats ear, lung, sinus, throat and skin infections. This medicine is also is used to treat a certain bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers. Clarithromycin will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections. Biaxin� XL is an extended-release form of clarithromycin that only needs to be taken once daily. Generic clarithromycin tablets and extended-release tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I take clarithromycin? (Back to top)
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*diarrhea
*irregular heart beat or abnormal heart beat
*kidney disease
*liver disease
*stomach problems (especially colitis)
*other chronic illness
*an unusual or allergic reaction to clarithromycin or other macrolide antibiotics (such as erythromycin), foods, dyes, or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

Take clarithromycin tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take the tablets with a full glass of water. You may take clarithromycin regular-release tablets with or without food, but be sure to take the extended-release tablets (Biaxin� XL) with food. Taking clarithromycin with food may reduce stomach upset. Do not crush or chew the Biaxin� XL tablets. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses. There should be an interval of at least 6 hours between Biaxin� doses, and at least 12 hours between Biaxin� XL doses.

What drug(s) may interact with clarithromycin?
*astemizole
*birth control pills
*carbamazepine
*cisapride
*colchicine
*digoxin
*dofetilide
*ergot alkaloid medicines, like ergotamine
*other antibiotics, like grepafloxacin or sparfloxacin
*pimozide
*ritonavir
*some 'statin' medicines for reducing cholesterol (examples: atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin)
*terfenadine
*theophylline
*triazolam
*warfarin
*zidovudine

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines that you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking clarithromycin?
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
*difficulty breathing
*redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
*severe or watery diarrhea
*skin rash, itching
*swelling of tongue or throat
*vomiting
*yellow color of eyes, skin, or urine

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*changes in taste or smell
*headache
*nausea
*stomach pains or cramps

What should I watch for while taking clarithromycin?
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve in 2 to 3 days. Make sure to take all of this medicine as prescribed, even if you begin to feel better.

Clarithromycin may decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. Women should use additional forms of birth control during the month they received clarithromycin. Depending on the length of clarithromycin treatment, additional birth control methods may be needed for at least one menstrual cycle after the antibiotic is finished.

If you get severe or watery diarrhea, do not treat yourself. Call your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking clarithromycin.

Where can I keep my medicine? (Back to top)
Keep out of the reach of children in a container that small children cannot open.

Store at room temperature between 15� and 30�C (59� and 86�F). Keep container tightly closed. Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.

Last Updated:02/23/2005

The one above is okay too

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement