LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lavaquin and tendonitis?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lavaquin and tendonitis?
Bothrops
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bothrops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started lavaquin IV 3 days ago. Today I am in intence muscle pain from lower back all the way to toes. A little while ago a picked up my laptop with one hand and I got an intence burning pain in wrist about two inches from hand in the soft area beside the two thin rubery bones. You with me so far? LOL. Anyway ever since the pain hit, felt like a hornet sting, it has felt numb.

Know, compared to all my other probs this is nothing but my doc did tell me that lavaquin can cause problems with tendons and I guess I am a little worried, I dont need no more crap if you know what I mean. I am not even real sure where the tendons are located.

And about that muscle pain, is it possible to herx this soon after starting a drug and is intense muscle pain alone considered a herx?

Thanks everyone!

Posts: 208 | From Greenville SC USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tendon/ligament tearing is a side effect of Levaquin....one my LLMD told me would mean stopping the drug. You might want to talk with your doctor.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't sound good. Call your MD before continuing.

-------------------------

To all: Post here if you have a birthday in NOV.
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=013899#000002

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tore 3 tendons from levaquin one a couple of months after stopping be vary careful on levaquin.

Dont lift any thing move slowly and if deep pain along the bone stop. Call your LLMD now .

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bothrops
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bothrops     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a tore or ruptured tendon suppose to feel like?

Is it possible that I have a pinched nerve? My pain is only in a small area, right where you take your pulse on your wrist, I can move my hand and arm in any direction without pain. I can be doing nothing and it just all of a sudden start burning like crazy. It always feels numb there too. What do you think?

I really would hate to stop this drug.

Posts: 208 | From Greenville SC USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed this issue when I was on Levaquin as well. I happened to be working out in the gym with mid-level weights....they were not excessive, and I had used that weight regularly.

I pulled my forearms and tendons around my elbow. I also had a lot of muscle and tendon pain in my left foot and knee.

I refuse to do ANYMORE quinolones because of it. There are other options for abx for me! It took too long for those tendons an muscles to heal for me to ever consider them again.

It's up to you, but just know the danger/risks.

I am a little suprised that these drugs are allowed to be on the market...at least without more warnings.

Treepatrol answered my initial post as well...and that is what made me aware of this issue. [Eek!]

B

--------------------
Bill

**Question everything...it may save your life!!!**

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bothrops:
What is a tore or ruptured tendon suppose to feel like?

Is it possible that I have a pinched nerve? My pain is only in a small area, right where you take your pulse on your wrist, I can move my hand and arm in any direction without pain. I can be doing nothing and it just all of a sudden start burning like crazy. It always feels numb there too. What do you think?

I really would hate to stop this drug.

Yes its possible to pinched a nerve or maybe the lyme doing damage to the mylene covering on the nerves themselves.
I dont know what the little temdon tears feel like I only tore big ones in my legs. And they hurt badly they snap and roll up into a ball believe me you dont want to tear a big one.
I would let the LLMD know about what your feeling maybe take some ibuprophen to keep inflamation down.
Still I would tell llmd about the problem your having.

Also if you start having deep along the bone soreness or soreness in large muscle groups I would let him/her know immediatly.

--------------------
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bothrops
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7393

Treepatrol, there is no swelling. If my tendon was messed up it would be swollen, right.

Other than cognitive/balance/fatigue problems my number one issue is fibromyalgia. On a scale of one to ten my leg pain is never less than 6 and during a herx, if that is what it is, 9. So how does one tell the differance between awful muscle pain and a messed up tendon? Where the tendons are located seems to be where my worst pain has always been, knees and ankles, calves and thighs.

My home nurse will be here tomorrow and I will tell her whats going on.

Thanks everyone

treepatrol
Member # 4117

What are levofloxacin tablets? (Back to top)
LEVOFLOXACIN (Levaquin�) is an antibiotic. Levofloxacin kills certain bacteria or stops their growth. It is used to treat urinary tract, prostate, skin, sinus and lung infections, as well as other infections. Generic levofloxacin tablets are not yet available.

What should my health care professional know before I take levofloxacin? (Back to top)
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*dehydration
*kidney disease
*seizures (convulsions)
*stomach problems (especially colitis)
*stroke
*an unusual or allergic reaction to levofloxacin, fluoroquinolone antibiotics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine? (Back to top)
Take levofloxacin tablets by mouth with or without food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow tablets whole with a full glass of water. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Finish the full course prescribed by your prescriber or health care professional even if you think your condition is better. Do not stop taking except on your prescriber's advice.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose? (Back to top)
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.

What drug(s) may interact with levofloxacin? (Back to top)
*aluminum salts
*antacids
*arsenic trioxide
*astemizole
*bepridil
*calcium salts
*caffeine
*certain heart medications for irregular rhythm (e.g., amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, ibutilide, quinidine, procainamide, sotalol)
*certain medicines for depression or mental problems (e.g., amoxapine, haloperidol, maprotiline, phenothiazines, risperidone, sertindole, ziprasidone)
*cimetidine
*cisapride
*clarithromycin
*cyclobenzaprine
*cyclosporine
*dairy products
*didanosine (ddI)
*dolasetron
*droperidol
*erythromycin
*levomethadyl
*iron (ferrous sulfate) preparations
*magnesium salicylate
*magnesium salts
*manganese
*medicines for diabetes
*multivitamins containing calcium, iron, manganese, or zinc
*NSAIDs such as Advil�, Aleve�, ibuprofen, Motrin�, naproxen
*pentamidine
*probucol
*retinoid products such as tretinoin (Retin-A�, Renova�) or isotretinoin (Accutan�)
*sevelamer
*sucralfate
*terfenadine
*theophylline
*troleandomycin
*warfarin
*zinc salts

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking levofloxacin? (Back to top)
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
Rare or uncommon:
*confusion
*difficulty breathing
*irregular heartbeat, palpitations or chest pain
*joint, muscle or tendon pain
*nightmares
*changes in your thought process
*redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
*seizures
*severe or watery diarrhea
*skin rash, itching
*swelling of the face or neck
*tremor or restlessness
*vision changes
*vomiting

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*constipation or diarrhea
*difficulty sleeping
*dizziness or drowsiness
*headache
*intestinal gas or bloating
*nausea or stomach upset

What should I watch for while taking levofloxacin? (Back to top)
Tell your prescriber or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve in 2 to 3 days.

If you are a diabetic monitor your blood glucose carefully. If you get an unusual reaction stop taking levofloxacin and call your prescriber or health care professional for advice.

You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how levofloxacin affects you. To reduce the risk of dizzy or fainting spells, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient.

Drink several glasses of water a day. Cut down on drinks that contain caffeine.

Antacids can stop levofloxacin from working. If you get an upset stomach and want to take an antacid, make sure it has been at least 2 hours since you last took levofloxacin, or at least 2 to 4 hours before your next dose.

Calcium, iron, and zinc preparations can also stop levofloxacin from working properly. Take calcium tablets, iron tablets, zinc tablets, or vitamins that contain calcium, iron, or zinc at least 2 hours before or two hours after levofloxacin.

Keep out of the sun, or wear protective clothing outdoors and use a sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or sun tanning beds or booths.

If you notice symptoms such as pain, burning, tingling, numbness and/or weakness, stop taking levofloxacin and contact your healthcare provider immediately.

If you notice pain or swelling of a tendon or around a joint, stop taking levofloxacin. Call your healthcare provider. Rest the affected area. Do not exercise or take levofloxacin until your healthcare provider tells you to do so.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you are taking levofloxacin.

--------------------

Newbie Links

Virginia of Yore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virginia of Yore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two weeks oral levaquin (for a lung infection), and within two days had inflamed sore tendons in elbows, which took a year to resolve. It does not take much exertion to cause the tendon problems. One study found they can occur even six months afterwards.
Posts: 193 | From Virginia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill ATL
Member # 7817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill ATL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TREE! That post looks very familiar! [Smile] Thx for helping me out with my posts/question last year btw!

Virginia...that sounds about right. I wonder if the quinolones affect some people more than others, and maybe some not at all? All I know is I had a quick reaction like you did.

I tell any Dr. that I see now, that I am allergic to them. [Big Grin]

B

--------------------
Bill

**Question everything...it may save your life!!!**

Posts: 80 | From ATLantic Seaboard | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StuckonLyme
Member # 8196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StuckonLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive been on cipro for three days now and am getting the severe pain like you talk about,im also getting severe chest pain with it. I called my llmd and he told me to stop until i see him on friday.
Posts: 82 | From Northeast WI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement