LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Physical Therapy Ultrasound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Physical Therapy Ultrasound
LymeLaura
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLaura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had knee surgery (ACL replacement and meniscus repair). I've been going to physical therapy 3 times a week.

The first two weeks, I was given electric stim therapy which caused a horrible increase in symptoms (to the point where my orthopaedic thought the joint was infected). Stopped that as soon as we figured out it was lyme.

I'm doing quite well now 8 weeks after surgery.

My question is: does ultrasound therapy also cause the same lyme symptom problem? My PT would like to give it a try, but I'm putting her off until I know it won't cause any problems.

Laura

Posts: 132 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LymeLaura:
My question is: does ultrasound therapy also cause the same lyme symptom problem? My PT would like to give it a try, but I'm putting her off until I know it won't cause any problems.

Laura

Oh, ouch!! I was once zapped with the electrical stuff and was in horrible pain! They did it on my back.....and I told them to not overdo it since I had fibromyalgia [I didn't know I had Lyme]...Well, it was BAD!! [Mad]

I don't think ultrasound would cause problems for you. It didn't for me. But I would have them go easy.......like half the time most patients receive.

Let us know how it goes!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mimi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have treated folks with fibromyalgia, and lyme and used it for my knee without any problems. Used to do Physical Therapy for a living
Use it with caution because we are all different but I have never had a problem with it. Ultrasound is a form of heat that is conducted through sound waves. Very different from E.Stim.

Take care,
mimi

Posts: 343 | From usa | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for a post from NAL about losing the use of her right arm.

I posted on that one that TENS ultrasound was used on my arm, and range of motion restored.

That was 20 years ago before I found out about my undx lyme last year after 34 years!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Laura,

The first summer I was very sick, way before we knew it was Lyme, I had terrible tendinitis in my arms. I could not hold a pencil and write.

As a musician, I was very alarmed. So I arranged for physical therapy for my arms a couple times a week. They did ultrasound as well as massage, stretching, etc. I am not sure, but they may have done electrical something, too. There were a couple different machines they used. I KNOW they used ultrasound at specific places on my arms.

Not only did my tendinits get much worse, but my overall condition got worse.

I have no way of knowing if I was just getting worse bec. the Lyme was not being treated, or if it was the P.T.

But I am convinced that that P.T. did something very bad systemically for me.

I would do massage and stretching and heat or cold application, but looking back I regret having them use the machines.

Oddly, in a totally non-scientific way, I feel like maybe the applied ultrasound and/or electricity spread around what was in the tissue of my arms. (i.e. Lyme bacteria). I also started feeling electrical type irregularities in my heart. I had an abnormal EKG, altho I don't know what the abnormality was -- they sent me for the Holter and echo, etc. The electrical feeling in my heart subsided after I stopped the P.T.

There might have been a TENS unit, I'm not sure. But I definitely know they used ultrasound.

We are all different. And we are all at different stages of the disease(s) from ticks. You could go slowly and see how you do.

Can you do other forms of P.T. without using machines?

Just my experience. [Smile]

Good luck to you, and warmest wishes to feel better soon!
[Smile]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement