LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What do Spirochetes Eat?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do Spirochetes Eat?
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sure this has been answered before but I am having trouble finding where....

I was wondering what each of the little spirochetes eat. Is it simple sugars in the blood?

And what about the L forms or cyct forms or the third one that I can't remember? What do *they* eat? Do they eat at all? Do they eat anything different?

If spirochetes eat simple sugars (a very wild guess on my part)...could that be why our blood sugars get all screwed up with the insulin resistance, etc?

Just curious about what they eat and how limited their diet is.

If anyone could help that would be great. It would help me fantasize better about starving the little creepers.

Thanks,

Alison

P.S. If you could also frame your answers to not just say, for example, "they eat sphonkotylobreekopeeniothine" but say what type of chemical the sphonkotylobreekopeeniothine is...that would be fabulous...for the chemistry challeneged such as myself [Smile]

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this answers your question:

http://www.bact.wisc.edu/Microtextbook/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=110&page=1

Spirochetes are common in a wide range of aqueous environments: both marine and freshwater, high and low salt, and low to high temperatures. In general, free-living spirochetes tend to be found in environments rich in decaying plant material, where they probably ferment sugars released by the action of other microbes.

Spirochetes have a limited metabolism and can only ferment a few types of organic molecules. They ferment carbohydrates to acetate, ethanol, CO2, and H2 as major end products. All spirochetes so far examined use the Embden-Meyerhoff-Parnas pathway to take glucose to pyruvate. Under anaerobic conditions this is converted to acetate and ethanol using common fermentative pathways. Interestingly, the facultative anaerobes in the group use both oxidative phosphorylation and substrate level phosphorylation in the presence of air and seem to be dependent on at least some fermentation. The TCA cycle has not been detected in these microbes, and it is unclear how they get their ATP by oxidative phosphorylation.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyers999
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyers999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One interesting fact is that the bb spirochete depletes the body of magnesium while the syphilis spirochete, a close relative of bb, depletes the body of iron.

--------------------
Jack

Posts: 385 | From South New Jersey, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, any darn thing they feel like eating. lol I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I don't know the serious answer, but I'm looking forward to everyone's answers. I'm sure Marnie will say they love magnesium.

Take care, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bb is an obligate parasite. It has very little in the way of synthetic machinery. The short answer, then, is it eats YOU, whatever your body provides it. While the metabolism of Bb is still relatively poorly understood, a couple of aspects are well known. It loves glucose {ie sugar} and it also enjoys munching a compound called NAG {N-AcetylGlucosamine, a very common compound found in human tissue especially connective tissue. If I remember correctly, Bb cannot survive without NAG or glucose {or a glucose source}. Unfortunately, neither can you, so you really can't kill off Bb by not eating sugar or somehow avoiding NAG synthesis within your own body. Some claim that eating a low sugar diet can alleviate Bb symptoms, and I've personally found that to be true, although I'm not sure it's directly related to Bb metabolism.
Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much, all of you!

I guess my evil spirochete starvation plan will have to be jettisoned. Darn.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spirochetes derive their primary energy from anaerobic glucose metabolism, rest aminoacids and fats they have to scavange from the host...

Thats why we have stay away from sugars

Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wrotek:
spirochetes derive their primary energy from anaerobic glucose metabolism, rest aminoacids and fats they have to scavange from the host...

Thats why we have stay away from sugars

Plus when on abx's sugars become a problem because the normal gut flora are destroyed and yeast takes off because of a abundance of food that would have been used by the normal gut flora which are now severly reduced or dead. Another reason for lowering sugar intake.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Nov 03 I did a seven day cleanse. Nothing by mouth but these supplements every 90 mintues and water. On day two I went into the worse HERX of my 5 yrs battle. Every organ and body part in me started to detox and it was a horrendous day.

Day 3 was much improved, but still major major detoxing going on. During this 7 day cleanse I had 5 colonic done on me.

Colonics is a gentle cleansing of the colon with body temp water and then the water is flushed back out of you. This is to hydrate the colon and to remove old crap from the colon. During those colonics my body/colon/gall bladder released a black rope of toxin build up that had been in me for no telling how many years.

I was one cleaned out woman after this. Felt good for a few weeks and then the lyme cycle started over again. It was totally worth it. I believe it removed a ton of toxins and killed spiroketes and lowered my bacteria load.

Take care, Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD says they feed on magnesium and other things so he took me off all the suppements I was taking. Seems a little strange to me, that not taking supplements for something that you are already low on would make you feel better. That may explain why I feel like CRAP!

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we feel the glucose pathway is the answer, then how does yeast which definitely follows this pathway figure in to the equation?

In other words, if we hold back on sugars...is it the yeast or the spirochete responding? Yeast or candida infection soars when we are fighting an infection such as lyme, so much so that it should be considered a co-infection of itself.

I can't prove this, but I read somewhere that cholesterol could be a food for spiros.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this article interesting. It's easy for a lay person to understand. I read only bits and pieces.

http://www.euroamericanhealth.com/index.htm

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Hi Pam,

I actually did a week long fast as well and felt great. But when I went to do it again, it didn't help at all.

I also had a series of colonics and that really really helped, I totally agree.

Now I remember reading that when Lyme is "activated" from its dormant state by a traumatic event, it begins to devour pre-formed sterols in the brain. I *think* this is where people can get the MS lesions...as they chow down on the myelin sheath.

I am also fascinated by the different schools of thought: i.e. don't take any supplements so they have no food vs. take the supplements so hopefully they wont eat tham all and you can benefit.

Thanks agaon for all your answers!

Alison

--------------------
 -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement