LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NonPharmaceutical Migraine Relief

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NonPharmaceutical Migraine Relief
DaveinCt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5818

Icon 5 posted      Profile for DaveinCt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone:

Well I had to come of the Biaxin/Plaq. combo and since then, my migraines have escalated. [Frown]

When they're bad I use Imitrex and it helps some. I'm wondering if any of you are using any type of preventitive (OTC or nonpharmaceutical) that is helping you.

There are several things out there right now like GelStat, Nexoprin,Petadolex, etc. that some people claim works.

Just wanted to hear from some Lymies who get migraines and see what (if anything) has helped.

Thx.

--------------------
Thx,
Dave (Now in VA.)

Posts: 207 | From Lynchburg, VA. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arg82
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arg82   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a prescription but I just started on Topamax just over a month ago as a preventative treatment for my Lyme migraines (Ed, I like you're "Lymegraine" name). So far it does seem to be helping but I still have a ways to go.

I've started with a new neurologist and although the neuro himself didn't talk to me much about Lyme stuff, the NP who I saw on Thursday talked a lot about Lyme headaches and how awful they can be and I really liked her. We're trying to figure out how high I'm going to have to go on the Topamax and I may have to increase the Neurontin I'm currently on just for sleep (at a fairly low dose) but we're trying to prevent me from getting too foggy from the meds.

I use either Maxalt or Frova (both meds like Imitrex) when I get bad Migraines but if they aren't awful I try to just live with them, use the rice packs you can heat up in the microwave, and just try to sleep them off.

Peace and healing,
Annie

--------------------
 -

Lyme Out Retreats

My Lyme Journal

Posts: 2184 | From Rochester, MA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveinCt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveinCt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lyme Ed:

Appreciate the reply. I do pretty much everything you mentioned except the extra abx. That's interesting.

I'm actually looking at a number of some of the newer natural products to use as a preventitive. There's lots of claims out there so I want to be careful.

I'm supposed to start Diflucan, as per Dr. P. this next week, so we'll see if that helps calm it down. But, right now, it's a headache every other day....Used to be 1 a month [Frown]

--------------------
Thx,
Dave (Now in VA.)

Posts: 207 | From Lynchburg, VA. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveinCt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5818

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveinCt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Annie:

Yeah...I've heard of using Topamax. I'm just trying to limit the number of pharmaceuticals I have to take. I'm also a little concerned about the sideeffects with it. Do let us know how you make out with it.

If I can't find something natural, I may have to go in that direction.

--------------------
Thx,
Dave (Now in VA.)

SayYesh
Member # 8343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayYesh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium. I was taking a multi and thought I was 'good' but I read this book, the Miracle of Magnesium. Added about 200-400 mg magnesium citrate per day and voila. Stopped them dead. They had increased to biweekly at the time. This was back in August. I've had only once since then, and I was herxing pretty bad then. Us Lymies need more magnesium and I think it's helped me in other ways as well. It's pretty much on the top of or near the top of Burrascano's list of things to do. Good Luck!
Posts: 90 | From New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I slam about five glasses of water at once right at the onset...doesn't completely cure them but helps to detox my body...
Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried Migrelief?

www.migrelief.com

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaveinCt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5818

Hi PAB:

That's one of the one's I'm looking at. Have you used it and if so, how have your results been?

--------------------
Thx,
Dave (Now in VA.)

shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have any warning signs that a migraine is coming? That's the best time (at least for me) to take something. I have been lucky -- an Excedrin (aspirin + acetominophen + caffein) or 2 can prevent my migraines from kicking in.

But if I wait, oy!!!

When I was symptomatic, I was getting them as often as once a week, with many days of "near-headache" in between. Now, maybe once a month, if that.

Hope you feel better,
Shaz

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi Dave

I have had this work a couple
of times --
It sounds weird but a knowagable
body worker showed it to me--

This has to be done at first
sign of headache comming on--
It is also better to have
some one else do it to you-

On your hand -
Pench the muscles
between Your thumb
and fore finger--
where the two fingers
come together--

Close to where the bones
come together--
there is a slight dip
where there the muscles
are not as thick--

Squeeze around gently
and find the area where
this squeezing causes the
most pain--that is the spot--
you will know it when you find it-

Get someone else to squeeze(pench)
this area using there thumb and
for finger-- Very Hard--
You have to squeeze and hold
pressure at this point--

It is going to hurt alot-
so sit or lay down--
Breath deep and try to relax--

This takes about 4 to 5 minutes
to work--

When I have had this work the
releife was immedite --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DaveinCt:
Hi PAB:

That's one of the one's I'm looking at. Have you used it and if so, how have your results been?

My kids tried it and it didn't help. But, their headaches are 24/7 and are severe. They have high intracranial pressure and lumbar punctures are the only thing that helps them.

Vitacost has Migrelief for $15.99. I think you can get it at Walgreens.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The accupressure that Groovy2 mentioned helps me also. Another things is hot compresses applied to the forehead. My husband makes Cammomile tea for me to use for this purpose.

The thing that works the best for me though, is Frova.

Good Luck, Dave in VA!

Suzy, not far from you

Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobdavis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobdavis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped my migraines with Pulsed electromagnetic fields, as in the "Doug" coil machine. There are other PEMF devices that claim to stop migraines.
Posts: 499 | From Western NY | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine have stopped since thinning blood, being on good diet and COFFEE ENEMAS. In the past I was living on excedrins. Glad I don't need them anymore. COFFEE ENEMAS really help with aot of pain and more. I am greatful I was turned on to them. A blessing.
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement