LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » About Air Travel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: About Air Travel
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the risks we lymies run when flying?

I'm considering going from CA to NY and back within a three day period and am wondering what setbacks I may run into, if any, health wise.

I think I've heard some folks say they've relapsed after flying but I'm not aware of the specific circumstances.

I've been in treatment for almost 3 years, first lyme and now babesia. I was misdiagnosed for 13 years before this.

I've got a ways to go yet, but I'm making progress and feel better than I have in years. I really don't want to jeopardize my progress.

Any thoughts/experience? Thanks.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a major problem with flying - maybe a cold or something after but seems normal. I guess maybe someone could ask if the oxygen content in an airplane being lower (if it is) could have some impact on increasting activity of Borellia. I have never heard that though - will be interesting to see what others have to say.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Porsche
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Porsche     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any experience in this myself since I got sick, but this is what the IMMED site says about it:

Flying, Exercise and Saunas

Flying, excessive exercise and lack of sleep can make signs/symptoms worse. Flying exposes you to lower oxygen tension, and can stimulate borderline anaerobes that grow better at low oxygen (see above). Some exercise is essential, but avoid relapses due to overexertion. Dry saunas help rid the system of chemicals, and saunas should be taken 3X per week--moderate exercise, followed by 15-20 min of dry sauna and tepid shower. Repeat saunas no more than 2X per day. Work up a good sweat, eliminating chemicals without placing too much stress on your system, and replace body fluids during and after each session. During exercise patients should always avoid pollutant and allergen exposures. For recovery after exercise and to decrease muscle soreness, some use a Jacuzzi or hot tub, but only after a sufficient cool-down period. Don't get overheated in the process. Don't over do it!!!

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only flown twice since I was dx with Lyme in June.

I took a lot of water with me, made sure I kept my stress minimal, and I also brought liquid oxygen in my bag.

I had a nasty first day at my destination. I was weirdly tired and achey. After a subdued day, though, I was good to go. And I didn't have similar problems on the second leg. There didn't seem to be any residual effects, either.

My flights were only a few hours, so I'm not sure this is a good test. But I would recommend drinking a lot of water.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had two recent air trips, both about 1 1/2 hour flights each way. The first trip I did not take O2, the second I used an oxygen concentractor that you can now rent and carry on the flight.

I think the oxygen made a big difference for me. I was able to use it not only on the plane, but also in hotel rooms where I was exposed to chemicals that I tend to react to.

I felt much more rested on the second flight, even though I was at a very energy intensive conference.

Some airlines will only allow use of oxygen they sell, others require you to rent these concentrators, so check it out with the airline if you think about trying it.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've flown from the SW to NY 2 times in the last 3 months. No problems that can be related to flying.

Actually ran into a pilot that had had lyme (we got into this conversation because of my IV bag hanging from the ceiling of the plane). He had been treated for 13 months with antibiotics, including IVs, and has been well for 10 years. What encouraging words to hear!

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine202
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6158

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christine202     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've flown quite a bit with Lyme and dysautonomia.....

I make sure to stay welll hydrtaed on the plane.... lots of electrolite fluids with some salt added... some light snacks...

I wear compresssion hose and make sure I walk around frequently to circulate things.

Also if it is cold and flu season I bring a mask, and take Vit C and Zicam.....

I have never really seen my Lyme be too effected by it.

Have a safe flight!

Posts: 437 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew a few times last year when I was still really sick. I expected the worst but nothing bad happened. I felt fine (well, no worse than I felt when on the ground). I always bring lots of water when I fly.

I spent a week at high altitude and felt better than I had at home at sea level! I'm going on a trip next week and am hoping travelling will once again be OK.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me the hard part about travel is that I spend so much time getting ready that I start the trip tired or way behind the sleep schedule I need. That is the biggest indicator for how well I'll fare on the trip.

Staying hydrated is crucial and starting off well rested will make a huge difference, particularly if there are unexpected delays or other problems.

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement