LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sad day -- removing my donor card...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad day -- removing my donor card...
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sad to say that today, particularly after reading the thread on organ donors, I am removing the donor card from my wallet. I just can't risk getting anyone else sick with this evil thing...

I've always strongly believed in being an organ donor, and it was one of the things that gave me hope that I could be of use, even after I'm gone... now, that hope is dashed on the rocks. One positive, though... I talked my healthy hubby into becoming a donor (he was previously really opposed to the idea) so I guess that cancels things out.

Let's cure this darn thing.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. I felt guilty when I got my driver's license renewed last week. I had to tell them "no"...again.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sorry, I know that this information is really dissapointing sometimes, but it is always best to know than to not know.

Perhaps, if you are really serious, you can look into donating your organs to lyme research?

If you find anything out, I would sure like to know, OK?

My best,
melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can we somehow donate our parts to ANY lyme research though?
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth in MN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth in MN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trails:
can we somehow donate our parts to ANY lyme research though?

I don't know about Lyme research, but another idea is to donate your body to a university medical program. When my Mom was diagnosed with cancer, she was really disappointed about not being able to donate her organs, so arranged to donate her body to our local U.

When she died, the university took care of everything -- from transporting her body to the university to cremating her and delivering her ashes when they were done.

Her body was used for the entire year by a group of med students studying anatomy. At the end of the year, the entire class of med students invited us to their annual memorial service -- a very personal and moving program for the families of those who's bodies were donated that year. It was absolutely beautiful to see the respect and awe the students had for the donors and their families.

Now that I've been diagnosed with Lyme, I'm going to call the U and start making arrangements to do the same thing.

Hope this helps!
Elizabeth

--------------------
Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.
Come visit my blog! http://forcesofnature.wordpress.com/

Posts: 126 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I told my kids I was finally going to go to medical school! I think I will have a certificate made up about that to give to each of them. It is very easy to arrange to donate your body to the local medical school.

Just call them and ask. They will register you, send you papers to sign and signed by 2 witnesses, and then send you a card to carry with you, also signed by you and 2 witnesses.

I wish there was a reciprocal arrangement so that one's body could be donated to any accredited medical school in the country - in case one dies while away from home.

Ann - OH

[ 15. February 2006, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Ann-OH ]

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am tracking down information about how to leave our bodies, such as they are, to Lyme research, and will post the information as soon as I get it.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks, guys, for the responses. Actually, when taking the donor card out -- that was the first time I've cried about this since being dx'ed with Lyme.

Ticked -- yes, please post info when you get it! I'm definitely on board for donating to science -- best if it is Lyme, but I'm happy to further the advancement of science in any way I can.

It feels good that you understand me here -- hubby kinda didn't get it... though he has never felt as strongly as I do about being a donor. He's also still in denial about my illness in a lot of ways -- he thinks I'll be cured in a year.... sigh, I wish he was right!

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, be sure on YOUR driver's license that you cover up the YES on donor & write NO! That's what our state's d.l. examiner had me do.

I'm copying/pasting what I just wrote on the CHRONIC LYME RESEARCH CENTER post. It fits in with what we are discussing.

I received a most unexpected SURPRISE reply letter in the mail yesterday from Marissa Battilana, director of the Letters for Lyme, LDA!

She wrote on a card thanking me for my 1-time large, generous donation for the chronic lyme research center. (Since I represented myself at my 2nd ALJ, SS disability insurance hearing and WON after 5 years, I donated a portion of the money the lawyer would have gotten.)

I sure wasn't expecting anything like that.

Marissa, I don't know if you come on here or not, but here's a question for you. If she doesn't, I'll copy/paste this to a private email for her since she enclosed a card w/info.

I noticed 1 of the things to be done there are AUTOPSIES. I'd like info on that as I want to donate my brain so Dr. Fallon, etc. can LEARN from my chronic lyme brain of 36+ years.

What paperwork would be involved?

What would the procedure be locally to "fly" my brain out to east coast.

When I die, I'm going to designate any memorial money to be sent to the lyme research center. I don't want anyone else to go thru the hell I've been thru all these years. Thank you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty:

That is exactly the kind of information I'm chasing down.

I don't know how long it will take to get it, but I will post a separate thread to make sure that it is easy to find.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for others who missed this earlier about your driver's licenses to be changed or modified until PERMANENT change when you renew.

Bettyg

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement