LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » website on the dangers of Fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: website on the dangers of Fluoroquinolones (Cipro, Levaquin)
henson2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

OK, I really don't mean to scare people, but this site scared me. www.fqresearch.org.

There are folks having strong adverse reactions to the quinolones, some very, very serious.

Now, how does one know if what one is experiencing is a drug reaction to these drugs, or a Lyme (or co-infection) Herx?

That is the million dollar question we each have to ask ourselves and our LLMDs.

There are other patients out there who want FDA warnings or Congress to note what this particular class of drugs can do.

I just want everyone to be careful, and to be well. Talk to your Dr. if you get adverse effects and you don't know if it is a Herx or not. Please use your own instincts about what your body is going through.

Anyone else know about or have experience with fluoroquinolone reactions?

Just a note that maybe we should not always assume it's a Herx, and listen to our bodies.

Warmest wishes to everyone to be well.

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henson, which Quinolone are you taking, if any, and for what? Helpful?

I had to stop Cipro and Leva. Legs got too sore and it became too precarious.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jons
Member # 8867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMPORTANT ANSWER!!!

I would not allow my teenager to go on Levaquin et al because of joint issues i had researched, including people blowing out their achilles tendons! I had heard of terrible side effects in elderly in hospital too. Lev is a "hot drug" that surgeons love to prescribe before surgery as a prophylactic. A friend MD who works for a prominent med center on a transplant team said she will Never prescribe the drug because it does terrible things to joints, permanent damage. She has seen it in her young patients when a surgeon prescribed it without her knowledge.

the increased joint/tendon pain IS NOT A HERX!!!!

--------------------
mom & co.

Posts: 31 | From ny | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for henson2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Foggy, I am not on any of the quinolones. I just found that site that discussed the many people who have experienced bad things on them.

I know a lot of folks here are on them, particularly Levaquin for Bart, so just wanted to send my concern to distinguish the adverse effects from Herx.

It seems that the reactions can mimick the Lyme symptoms we already have (including nervous system disorders, buzzing, dizziness, etc).

I believe this class includes Tequin, Avelox, Levaquin, Cipro and a few others.

Warmest wishes to everyone to be well!

[ 16. March 2006, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: henson2 ]

Posts: 1066 | From East Coast | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I am just popping here to give my personal opinion on levaquin and I don't intent, under any circunstance to offend anyone or to start a "cyber riot".

I took levaquin for 4 months along with mepron, zithro and bicillin and I got great results without any side effects.

During this combo I RE-GAINED back about 80% of my brain. After this combo I was able to read and actually understand what I was reading.

I still have problems with spelling, remebering things and some other issues but I cann't deny that under the levaquin my brain fog started to disipate for the first time ever since I got Lyme. This didn't happened with any other combos I had taken before and I am talking "heavy duty combos".

However, everyone is diferent and you should always look up after your own precious body.

Best luck to everyone,
Lymster in WA

Posts: 303 | From WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henson2
Member # 463

Hi, Lymster,

I'm really glad it worked for you!

No, I did not want to start any sort of contention or riot! Just let people know what I had learned, so that people could be informed and pay attention to their own bodies & responses.

I have learned so much here -- just wanted to put out what info I found.

I'm very glad you improved.

Warmest wishes to everyone to feel better *soon*!

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the worst pain in my lifetime came while on levaquin.

I could hardly walk and the joint and tendon pain was beyond painful.

My tendons all shortened to the point that almost any movement was more than I could handle.

It took months for these symptoms to resolve after stopping the levaquin. And, it made my tolerance to vicodin increase, something I have guarded closely.

I will never take levaquin again for any reason....

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello- my recent experience on Levaquin...

I've just come off Levaquin after being on for 6 weeks. I was very nervous about trying it, but decided to. I was diligent with taking Mag Tabs ( about 4 a day) and a joint complex. Also ate lots of gelatin in the hopes that it would increase collagen production and protect tendons etc....

I had the biggest herx on it- but I also noticed some new pains- mostly what felt like inflammation in shoulder blades and at base of skull...

I had a massage and everything was SOOOOooo tender to the touch. I took this as a levaquin side effect and am much less tender after only being off it for a few days-

These decisions are so hard- I hate to think that I may be killing the lyme and yet creating a toxic environment for other nasty diseases!

With hope,

Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahinnewyork
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahinnewyork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello- my recent experience on Levaquin...

I've just come off Levaquin after being on for 6 weeks. I was very nervous about trying it, but decided to. I was diligent with taking Mag Tabs ( about 4 a day) and a joint complex. Also ate lots of gelatin in the hopes that it would increase collagen production and protect tendons etc....

I had the biggest herx on it- but I also noticed some new pains- mostly what felt like inflammation in shoulder blades and at base of skull...

I had a massage and everything was SOOOOooo tender to the touch. I took this as a levaquin side effect and am much less tender after only being off it for a few days-

These decisions are so hard- I hate to think that I may be killing the lyme and yet creating a toxic environment for other nasty diseases!

With hope,

Sarah

Posts: 119 | From new york, NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement