LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Marshall Protocol: Anyone on it / tried it??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Marshall Protocol: Anyone on it / tried it??
dtiffen02
Member # 8993

Icon 4 posted      Profile for dtiffen02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who here has had first hand experience with this protocol? I have researched it all I can, but am still uncertian as to the validity of this course of treatment. If you don't feel comfortable posting about it openly, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

thank for your help
-Dave

Posts: 53 | From tampa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Q: What about the Marshall protocol?

A: Have had a few patients that have done it. All abandoned as it did not help.

This is from Scott's Hope to Heal Lyme Conference Notes: an interview with Dr.B
Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for starters,these links show survey results of different approaches. there are other, related links that i don't have time to look for right now, but you should be able to launch to them from these links.

Raw Numbers at: http://lassesen.com/cfids/raw_survey_results.htm
Simple form at: http://lassesen.com/cfids/protocols.htm

[ 20. April 2006, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For starters try these links. from there, you might be able to launch to other links about the mp.

Raw Numbers at: http://lassesen.com/cfids/raw_survey_results.htm
Simple form at: http://lassesen.com/cfids/protocols.htm

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our FNP had 12 people on it at one time. We are all off of it now. Very difficult protocol to say the least.

Diflucan and Penicillin is much easier to do and we have had better results with it.

Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't tryed it but here is a good webb site for it:

http://www.marshallprotocol.com

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtiffen02
Member # 8993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dtiffen02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 5dana8:
I haven't tryed it but here is a good webb site for it:

http://www.marshallprotocol.com

I have read through that entire site thoroughly. Of course, people on there might be slightly biased [Wink]

It sure is an interesting concept, but it seems that at this point it's still just a theory without any real substantiation. Still interested to know if anyone here has stuck with it through the rough times and had any success in the end.

Posts: 53 | From tampa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jarjar
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jarjar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a break currently from the MP and I have to say I felt better on it then off of it. There are a few here that have posted that they have gone into recovery with it and there are some that couldn't tolerate the benicar and had to leave it.

It is a hard protocol to follow and don't undertake it unless you want to follow the rules. If you can tolerate benicar I think its worth trying.

Posts: 805 | From Utopia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dtiffen02
Member # 8993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dtiffen02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jarjar:
If you can tolerate benicar I think its worth trying.

This is my biggest concern, as I have orthostatic intolerance with hypotension as it is. I wonder what benicar would do to me.
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying it and experiencing what the MP said to expect, which I interpret as a good sign. I have not been on it long enough to know if it's going to resolve all my symptoms, but I do seem to be getting some relief from joint pain.

I experience herxing at the MP recommended (low) doses of the abx, so it seems to be killing the bugs without the need for large abx doses. Since the abx have to be around for 18 to 24 months to diminish the chances of relapse, I'd rather take low doses than high ones for that duration.

No IVs and mostly tolerable herxing are both big positives about the MP in my book.

The Benicar has had little effect on my blood pressure, and seems to have made the herxing more tolerable.

Probably the only inconvenient aspect of the MP is the need to avoid bright light. But since for years I've been too sick to leave the house much anyhow, this was not a huge deal for me.

Otherwise, the MP is very easy to try as a theraputic probe. When I got herxing from just 25 mg of minocycline, I sensed I was finally on the right track.

Another plus: my stomach, which in the past has had trouble with abx, is tolerating the MP's low abx doses just fine.

But the key for whether the MP may be right for you is to measure your vitamin D metabolites. My 1,25D levels were sky high compared to even conventional norms. Very few things can cause hypervitaminosis D. If you have a high 1,25D value but a low 25D value, the MP says it's likely due to an infection with the bacteria that cause things like Lyme disease.

The bacteria convert 25D into 1,25D at an excessive pace. 1,25D is the active form of the vitamin, and acts as a hormone. When it gets too high, there's a cascade effect on our endocrine system that can trigger many symptoms.

The following link has a list of hypervitaminosis D symptoms, and I'm a match for many of the items. Many Lyme sufferers also report these symptoms:

http://sarcinfo.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=4365&t=4365

Have your vitamin 25D and 1,25D levels tested. If they come back unusual, I think the MP is worth considering.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
below search on 1st screen of medical/general support is something asking you how many days you want to go back; it's critical you change this to 60, 90, or 1 yr. for the search to work...

use the search feature above and below NEW POST area.

type in Marshall Protocol, look in MEDICAL,
ANY DATE, and leave poster area blank..

There have been at least 4-8 different posts w/many replies on them.

Look also for JOYCE WATERHOUSE's name; she is on this, and has very detailed posts about this. I think that is her correct spelled last name?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a woman in Florida yesterday who has had great success with the Marshall Protocol. She has been on it for 8 months. She was referred to me by a mutual friend.

I plan to discuss it with my LLMD next week. It seems very complicated and I'm curious what his opinion is.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dguy:
Have your vitamin 25D and 1,25D levels tested. If they come back unusual, I think the MP is worth considering. [/QB]

Is LabCorp capable of administering this test? How about Quest labs?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MP folks say the blood sample for the vitamin D tests must be frozen. Freezing helps produce more accurate results because 1,25D degrades at a higher rate than 25D when exposed to room temperature. Therefore, with an unfrozen sample, the longer the sample sits at the lab before the measurement is performed, the more the results are thrown off.

Supposedly Quest is the only major lab that freezes the sample. Because I've had multiple problems with Quest in the past (lost results, incorrect billing, and more), I used LabCorp instead. LabCorp generally does not freeze the sample.

Even though my samples were unfrozen, I still had very high 1,25D and low 25D. Repeated the test, same results. My ratio was very abnormal. The MP says the high:low ratio would have been even more extreme had the sample been frozen.

This finding was significant because over the decade spent searching for an answer, I've had dozens of tests and they generally came back normal, normal, normal. My vitamin D metabolites were the first thing wildly abnormal.

IMO, implementing the MP is fairly easy: 1) minimize light and dietary vitamin D, 2) take benicar and low dose oral abx on a routine schedule, 3) slowly ramp up abx dose to keep herx tolerable.

The MP's success rate for sarcoidosis patients is very encouraging to me, and since Lyme and sarc bacteria are so similar, I think the protocol shows promise for Lyme. IMO, the MP is worth checking out if your vitamin D levels are abnormal, and there's no explanation other than an infection.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, dguy. I really doubt I could tolerate the Benicar as I already have low blood pressure. Still would like to check out the Vitamin D though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on a modified version of MP for about 9 months, and having success. Treatment has been complicated by coinfections, which have slowed down my progress. I think the addition of angiotensin blockade is an important advance in treatment.

Also, I have very low blood pressure also, and have adjusted well to benicar. Good luck.

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman I spoke to said her BP is something like 90/50 and she is able to function like that.

She has to be very careful about fainting, which I guess goes without saying.

She only recommended Qwest because of the freezing of the samples, I assume.

Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iceskater
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceskater     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
starting marshall this coming week and hoping for good results have not had good results with any protocols until now. many coinfections, virulent strains. will keep everyone posted.

-------------------------------------------------

" The absence of proof is not proof of absence"

Figure Skating

Posts: 719 | From Delaware | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

I'd like to add something else.

On various boards I've seen people report their vitamin D was measured as low, so their doc put them on vitamin D supplements.

You must be careful: if you have the standard vitamin D blood test, usually they only test the 25D.

Since Lyme bacteria consume 25D, the low test result might be due to that. Said another way, those infected with Lyme are more likely to have a low 25D test result. In that case, supplementing with vitamin D can "feed" the bacteria and actually worsen your infection!

A proper blood test is one that checks both 25D and 1,25D at the same time. If 25D is low but 1,25 high, it's often a sign of infection. Very few other conditions can cause low 25D and high 1,25D.

feesher
Member # 6243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feesher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting cross reference:

Dr. D also recommends avoiding multi vitamins. This is with regard to the prior post statement that D supplements "feed" the bugs.

Posts: 36 | From Boston, MA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

[ 22. April 2006, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: pq ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement