LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » acupuncture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: acupuncture
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Has anyone used acupuncture in addition to abx to treat lyme and coinfections?
How has it worked for you and does it cause a herx?
I'm scheduled to start it this week and don't know what to expect.
Any advice or tips would be really helpful!

Lymehead

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie C
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Annie C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymehead, I personally do not know of anyone. Now I know you. I have a friend that does for her back and swears by it. I have often wondered about it. Maybe you are the missing link that we have all waited for. Please do tell all when you get your first one done. I am very anxious to hear how it works. I feel that believing and knowing are two seperate issues. Knowing it will help has a lot to do with. I only wish that insurance co. would see as medical treatment. Praying for you and your strength to try it...
Annie [bow] [bow]

--------------------
May God Bless you every day. And Never say never and do not give up no matter what. We need you to help others.

Posts: 1288 | From Tetons Wyoming | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Talktel

I started getting acupuncture prior to my Lyme dx. My knee had completely gone out on me, and I was getting sicker by the day.

It was actually my acupuncturist who thought I had something systemic going on -- not just weird, unrelated things. Her thought was that I had Lyme, and because of her, I started an internet search and got on this road to recovery.

I've been seeing her weekly ever since.

She's licensed in both acupuncture and Chinese medicine and uses both to address whatever is going on with me each week. I gave her a copy of Bruhner's book, and she incorporated some of his herbal protocol into the Chinese tea formula she gives me.

I definitely think the acupuncture has helped me keep my body balanced, open, going in a healing direction. Last week, for instance, I'd just been in a very very serious car accident, and the acupuncturist used an entirely new configuration of needles which she said was designed to minimize the stress from that incident.

It's also expensive, but she and I have worked out a trade to make it possible.

There are some good previous threads on lymenet on this topic. I feel sure the skill of the acupuncturist makes a big difference (mine is the one the other acupuncturists in the area go to). I also imagine that, like everything else, it probably works well for some people and not as effectively for others.

I will say that I don't know if I experienced much after my first sessions. It's not always a quick fix.

Hpe this is helpful and that your first sessioin goes well.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
Andie, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are mending well.

My daughter tried acupuncture a while ago, using one under our insurance plan. No results at all.
Persistent nerve sensations prompted us to try again - this time with one trained in Chinese acupuncture and herbology. In her first treatment, she felt immediate improvement in her breathing and the awful flutter/vibrations that have been tormenting her. The relief was only momentary; but enough to make her want to go again. Each treatment has brought comfort that has lasted longer each time. The acupuncutrist also recommended samento; and with the LLMD's approval, she has been doing minimum doses and getting huge herxes. She has a long way to go, but really believes the acupuncture will play a big role in restoring the function of her autonomic nervous system.

Good luck, TAlktel; and keep us posted on your progress.

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again,

I thought of acupuncture because I saw a notice on my LLMD's wall about the conference for Lyme patients which would also include alternative treatments such as acupuncture.
My LLMD agreed that it was a good idea. The idea is that it might hopefully help to boost my immune system, which could then fight the Lyme better.
My acupuncturist says I won't feel relief till after a few sessions, but she feels she could help me. I have neurological issues so we'll see.
I hope she's right, but only time will tell!

Lymehead

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been going for acupuncture since last summer. I actually wasn't diagnosed with lyme until Oct/Nov last year but was seeing the acupuncturist to deal with some other issues which looking back may have been lyme related.

I don't know if acupuncture can help or not but I would say this at least. For me, it is relaxing to go there and that's a good enough reason for me. The person that i see is a great acupuncturist and what i like most is that he also is a doctor and therefore seems to know a lot. I wish it was a cure for lyme though!

~David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement