LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone on/was on fludrocortisone (florinef)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone on/was on fludrocortisone (florinef)
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. C's LD protocol includes fludrocortisone to balance fluid within the body. (Poor adrenals.) Have any of you had side effects that caused you to discontiinue this med?

I had to discontine taking after an appendectomy/colon surgery last year. It literally caused impactions at the distal end of my colon. Since then I have been dizzy and had problems with memory and cognition.

I recently restarted this med and lo and behold, my head symptoms have improved dramatically.

But again, I am experiencing a blockage in my intestine.

If you have ANY ideas or suggestions please advise.

Bugabobo

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluetick
Member # 8467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bluetick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take florinef for neurally mediated hypotension. It causes some fluid buildup in my lower legs.

I believe that it draws in fluid to increase blood pressure? Not sure though...but it does prevent me from passing out all the time, thank goodness!

Posts: 98 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Florinef, along with midodrine and a beta blocker for over four years without problems.

I started out with TINY doses of each, one at a time and gradually increased until I found an amount that didn't make my BP too high, but allowed me to do more than lie around with my feet thrown over the back of the couch all day.

I use it for Neurally Mediated Hypotension. It has made a huge difference in this, although I still can't stand for long. I don't have the severe BP drops like I used to when I do stand.

I was originally put on Florinef by a psychiatrist while I was waiting to find a non-duck to treat me. Unfortunately he started me on too high a dose and I experienced leg pains and swelling, and eventually had to stop taking it.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it for low blood volume and orthostatic hypotension and gained 35 lbs of fluid in less than 2 weeks. I went off the medication but was never able to lose the edema.

This medication expands the blood volume by causing one to hang on to soduium and excrete potasium. It also messes with calcium and may cause osteoporosis.

From what I could tell, it is a steroid or acts similarly and can depress your immune system.

http://www.intekom.com/pharm/bm_squib/florinef.html

There is quite a list of side effects, contra-indications and medications that can interact with it. They also mention surgery and supportive therapy etc... Worth reading if you are or have taken this medication for any period of time. It is a very serious medication with serious side effects, especially for those with infections.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When someone takes the time to respond to my plea, I am most greatful!!!!!

Thank you so-o-o much. Any other experiences out there?

What about the decrease in brain fog and cognition...that part is certainly a good thing.

Is there anything that would do that alone and not mess with the rest of the body?

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it for a few years until I learned 1) I likely have Lyme, 2) florinef is a steroid, and 3) steroids are contraindicated with Lyme.

It reduced my headaches a bunch (ducks could not explain), and reduced acne. Because of the latter effect, I suspect it was damping down my immune response.

It raised my BP about 10% to the top of the normal range. When I weaned off it, things returned to the way they had been pre-florinef. I don't yet know of any lingering bad effects, other than the possibility it may have left me with a tougher to eradicate infection.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for about 4 years to treat NMH. It has helped me tremendously without any negative side effects so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take it for NMH and it helps alot. I quit taking it the end of last yr, well I forgot to get refilled. My blood pressure dropped and the dizziness, etc. came back.

I have not had any neg side effects for it and I will continue to take it.

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heres the problem its a steroid

FLUDROCORTISONE (Florinef�) causes the body to retain salt and water. Fludrocortisone replaces the natural steroids that are lacking in patients with underactive adrenal glands. Fludrocortisone also treats a salt-losing condition called adrenogenital syndrome. Generic fludrocortisone tablets are available.

What should my health care professional know before I take fludrocortisone? (Back to top)
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
*Cushing's syndrome
*diabetes mellitus
*heart problems, or previous heart attack
*high blood pressure or blood clotting disorder
*infection, such as herpes, measles, tuberculosis or chickenpox
*myasthenia gravis
*psychosis
*osteoporosis
*recent surgery
*seizures (convulsions)
*stomach or intestinal disease, including colitis
*kidney disease
*over- or underactive thyroid
*an unusual or allergic reaction to fludrocortisone, other corticosteroids, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
*pregnant or trying to get pregnant
*breast-feeding

How should I take this medicine? (Back to top)
Take fludrocortisone tablets by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablets with a drink of water. Take with food or milk to avoid stomach upset. If you are only taking fludrocortisone once a day, take it in the morning, unless otherwise directed, which is the time your body normally secretes cortisol. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.

Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.

What if I miss a dose? (Back to top)
If you miss a dose, take it a soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, consult your prescriber or health care professional. You may need to miss a dose or take a double dose, depending on your condition and treatment. Do not take double or extra doses without advice.

What drug(s) may interact with fludrocortisone? (Back to top)
*antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen)
*barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures (convulsions)
*bosentan
*certain heart medicines
*male hormones
*phenytoin
*rifampin
*water pills

Tell your prescriber or health care professional about all other medicines you are taking, including non-prescription medicines, nutritional supplements, or herbal products. Also tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol, if you smoke, or if you use illegal drugs. These may affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.

What side effects may I notice from taking fludrocortisone? (Back to top)
Side effects that you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:
*difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
*headache, severe or continuing
*irregular heartbeat
*loss of appetite
*mental depression, mood swings
*muscle weakness, cramps or pain
*nausea, vomiting
*skin rash or itching
*sudden weight gain
*swelling of face, nasal passages, or eyelids
*swelling of the feet or legs
*unusual tiredness

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
*dizziness
*increased appetite
*restlessness
*trouble sleeping
*upset stomach

What should I watch for while taking fludrocortisone? (Back to top)
Visit your prescriber or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. If you are taking fludrocortisone over a prolonged period, carry an identification card with your name and address, the type and dose of your medicine, and your prescriber's name and address. Do not suddenly stop taking fludrocortisone. Follow the advice of your prescriber or health care professional.

If you are receiving fludrocortisone for a long period of time, you may have an increased risk of infection while taking fludrocortisone. Tell your prescriber or health care professional if you are exposed to anyone with measles or chickenpox, or if you develop sores or blisters that do not heal properly.

If you are going to have surgery, tell your prescriber or health care professional that you have taken fludrocortisone within the last twelve months.

You may need to watch your diet. Your body can lose potassium while you are taking fludrocortisone. Ask your prescriber or health care professional about your diet.

Alcohol can increase the risk of getting serious side effects while you are taking fludrocortisone. Avoid alcoholic drinks.

Fludrocortisone can interfere with certain lab tests and can cause false skin test results.

It left the lyme run free in your digestive tract.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about adding Real Salt to your water each day? I took florinef and gained fluid and/or weight. STopped taking it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement