LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What to do with Lyme symptoms when your stomach goes out?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to do with Lyme symptoms when your stomach goes out?
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone had their stomach go bad - pain but without the runs - because of the abx, but then the stomach doesn't seem to heal after the abx are stopped?
It's already two weeks that I stopped my oral abx for Bart, because of my stomach problems, and I am still having this pain, and I'm not eating a regular diet. I am losing weight because of that, which in my case is not great.
I am also on IM bicillin injections for Lyme, but now my Lyme symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am very run down too.
How does one treat Lyme until the gut heals? And how long can it take? I will be tested for C. Deficile, but the doc doesn't really think I have it. What else can it be that takes so long to heal?
Do all Lyme patients have great stomachs? What happens to the ones, like myself, who don't?
I hear intravenous abx goes through the stomach too.
Has anyone else been in this pretty scary situation?

Lymehead

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been taking care of your good bacteria..... replacing it? Acidophilus usually helps with alot of stomach and GI problems. Abx can tear up your stomach if your not taking probotics.

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talktel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Yes, I'm taking loads of probiotics.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any real good ones?

And the question remains; Why is my gut still not healing?

Lymehead

--------------------
RI

Posts: 440 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I found some sites with general info:

http://www.townsendletter.com/topic_gastrointestinal.htm

http://www.townsendletter.com/July2004/phytotherapy0704.htm

http://www.townsendletter.com/June2004/phytotherapy0604.htm

My llmd says bart affects mucosa. Lyme also disturbs digestive system. Then you add abx, and that is a triple whammy. My llmd estimates that about 1/3 of his patients develop a type of gluten sensitivity, (wheat, oats, barley, corn, rye, and even spelt for more sensitive individuals). This causes generalized inflammation.
The gluten-free diet elminates these things.

Someone earlier posted about aloe juice helping their gastritis. So, now I am on my second bottle @1/4 c. per day. I ran out for a day, and noticed the change. I think it is helping me.

Also, homemade chicken soup with lots of veggies and some rice, or sometimes just egg drop style with spinach, were a big help to me.

N.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you taking lots of vitamin C like you are supposed to with Lyme and its coinfections?

IF so, what kind?

I had terrible stomach pains even before I started any treatment last fall. It did not get better when I started herbs in november. It got much worse when I went on abx in December. I had to get off of them and take herbs only.

But it still did not get good. So I discovered C-Salts from Nutri.com. THESE have CURED my stomach pain. I have not had stomach pain for months now. NOTHING else would work at getting rid of the stomach pain and nausea.

NOTHING!

Google them. They are nice people to deal with. But do not order online. Call them from their toll free number, and they will send it to you.

IT WORKS!

TRY IT. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

I was on Leviquin for Bartonella for about six weeks when this happened. My stomach was better beforehand. (but still with difficulty) I don't know that the Lyme or co-infections (I have four of them) did this because I didn't have this problem beforehand.

I've been on antibiotics for years, but I did always have a weak digestive system. Now it's really gone.

Is it possible that the Bicillin prevents the gut from healing?
Lymehead

--------------------
RI

bettyg
Unregistered

Welcome talktel.
Breaking this up so we neuro lymies can read/comprehend by hitting enter more often and double-spacing between EACH paragraph. Thanks for doing this in the future ok. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Talktel:

Has anyone had their stomach go bad - pain but without the runs - because of the abx, but then the stomach doesn't seem to heal after the abx are stopped?

It's already two weeks that I stopped my oral abx for Bart, because of my stomach problems, and I am still having this pain, and I'm not eating a regular diet. I am losing weight because of that, which in my case is not great.

I am also on IM bicillin injections for Lyme, but now my Lyme symptoms seem to be getting worse. I am very run down too.

How does one treat Lyme until the gut heals? And how long can it take?

I will be tested for C. Deficile, but the doc doesn't really think I have it. What else can it be that takes so long to heal?

Do all Lyme patients have great stomachs? What happens to the ones, like myself, who don't?

I hear intravenous abx goes through the stomach too.

Has anyone else been in this pretty scary situation? Lymehead

Lymehead,
Someone mentioned the GLUTEN sensitivity. I'd heard of this before, but now diagnosed with this as of 1 month ago.

You can have testing done for FOOD sensitivities. If you look at my LENGTHY post on my 4-20-06 new LLMD summary & lab results, it tells in there EACH lab something was sent to and the new diagnosis.

I am highly allergic to: COW'S MILK, wheat, glutin, Case-in....milk products, garlic, etc.

So now, I have to begin a NEW DIET OF GLUTIN-FREE & CASE-IN FREE foods to HEAL my gut. I have lots of intestinal problems discovered by the extensive testing I did.

June 6, I hear all the results in USER-friendly language to comprehend.

Good luck! For over 30 years, my gut has always felt sick; NOW I know why. Thank God ... now to try to heal this.

Bettyg

AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just adding in the cause of my stomach problems -

I had stomach pain ... after I ate it got worse and stayed worse till I had not eaten for about 16 hrs.

Before they figured out what was wrong with me I was living on ensure. I lost alot of weight too. I became real thin. My size 1 jeans were baggy on me.

Then they found out I had gastroparesis which means my stomach digests slow. Stuff sits in my stomach alot longer than a normal persons.

I take medicine for it... when it was really bad I also had to follow a diet.

They diagnosised it through endoscopy (they take a tube and put it down your throat to look in your stomach.

I have heard of others with lyme having motiltiy issue with there digestion.

Gastroparesis can also cause nausea and vomitting but the most prevelant symptom for me has been pain.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a great stomach. Lots of GI problems.

The things that worked the best for me are: A

gluten-free diet made a huge difference. Then taking

lots of probiotics, L-Glutamine, Licorice, and

Throat Coat Tea by Traditional Medicinals.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add that I too was on levaquin and tinidizole for about 10 weeks when my stomach went into violent spasms. Very scary.

I am trying more gentle methods and am done with abx (at least for now)!

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my stomach went bad I stopped all orals and went on IM Bicillin shots.
Glutamine is a good idea. Carafate Rx can help!
 -

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A change of diet stopped my stomach burn instantly. I switched to a vegan diet which is very alkaline. I have since found I can have lean chicken. Beef still seems to give me an upset stomach. I'm scared of seafood which I used to LOVE. I have high levels of mercury and lead so no seafood for me.

You mention diarhea. Someone else mentioned gluten intolerance. That is very real. Called Celiac disease and once you have it, you have it for life. Good news is you can completely control it by avoiding gluten.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talktel
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7980

I am on bicillin shots -3x a week.

Is that enough to help me improve even though I have co-infections?

My concern is that the co-infections will impede any chance of improvement in the Lyme. And if I can't be treated because of stomach issues-than what happens?

Lymehead

--------------------
RI

dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talktel:

Yes, I'm taking loads of probiotics.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any real good ones?

Unless the probiotics come in enteric coated capsules they do absolutely nothing for me. If you haven't been using the enteric coated type, it may be worth switching to see if you experience a difference. I've tried many kinds, and Solaray Multidophilus 12 works best for me.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you considered digestive enzymes with meals? Are you taking lots of good probiotics one hour before meals with a full glass of water?
Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey talktel

I am in the same boat.

2 &1/2 years on orals and 3 months off trying to get my stomach back on line. In retrospect I don't think it was my gallbladder but a combination of gastritis and upper GI yeast.

these things have helped me the most:
2 prilosec in am (only did for 1 week-afraid of c-diff)
anit-yeast meds
digestive enzymes
carafate
promethizine

I weeded out many supps and for now am just on the basics. That I know don't upset my tummie.
I also think lyme and the co-s have something to do with it but not sure how much.

PM me any time
Hope you feel better soon [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Have you TRIED the C-Salts?

Jim [Cool]

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: resurgence with a vengeance.

Oldfield EC 3rd.

Division of Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, USA.

There has been a significant increase in the incidence and severity of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD) in the past several years, including outbreaks in multiple states and provinces in the United States and Canada, as well as in the United Kingdom.

A new, highly virulent strain of C. difficile has appeared that is less responsive to standard therapy and associated with a high rate of recurrence. Along with nosocomially acquired infections there has been a rise in the number of community-acquired cases of CDAD, even among those without prior antibiotic exposure.

Many factors have contributed to this epidemic, including the development of resistance to the widely used fluoroquinolones class of antibiotics. Because this new strain is less responsive to standard therapy, particularly metronidazole, a number of new antibiotics and other therapies are actively being investigated for use in both primary and recurrent CDAD.

A multifaceted approach to managing CDAD is called for, including active surveillance, antibiotic stewardship, and meticulous attention to contact precautions, including gloves, gowns, and hand washing.

PMID: 16699477

I have a hunch the above applies to the current outbreak of ``flu'' with nausea and extreme diarrhea right now seen...at least in Sarasota.

We have to be careful. The use of antibiotics can cause them to mutate into more virulent forms.

P.S.

J Food Prot. 2006 Apr;69(4):932-4.

Metronidazole resistance in Campylobacter jejuni from poultry meat.

Andersen SR, Shukri NM, Boel J, Saadbye P.

Danish Institute for Food and Veterinary Research, Department of Microbiological Food Safety, Soborg, Denmark. [email protected]

The occurrence of metronidazole resistance was investigated among Campylobacter jejuni in raw poultry meat collected from supermarkets. MICs were determined by the agar dilution procedure in the testing range of 3 to 60 microg/ml metronidazole.

The MICs showed a bimodal distribution with a significant proportion of metronidazole-resistant isolates among C. jejuni from raw broiler and turkey meat. Metronidazole resistance occurred most frequently among turkey meat isolates (P < 0.005).

This is the first report of foodborne bacteria carrying metronidazole resistance.

PMID: 16629042

The more I read the more worried I become. The bacteria are becoming too resistant to our antibiotics. We MUST find another way.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement