LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » tick removal?? with SOAP???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tick removal?? with SOAP???
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 9 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister found this on the web and was asking about whether she could use this method to remove ticks.

What are the reasons to NOT remove tick this way so that I can tell her.

"Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, etc!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.

Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint. "
[shake]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann OH posted this two weeks ago and wrote out a NEW tick removal explanation. I think she was going to get it out to the public.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015448

I received it several months ago in email and I let the sender know it was a very bad idea!

Here's another thread about it:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045727#000000

See what happens when you leave for a few days!!?? [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those too lazy to click on the first link, here is Ann's NEW email. We should ALL send it out to our friends and relatives.

========================================

I am all for that. If everyone here would e-mail everyone they know, that would help.

Everyone who posts on another Lyme site could also post there to inform all those people.

Here is what I am sending out to my LD E-list.

[quote]
Please e-mail everyone you know and any site where you post often to let them know about this problem.

A really bad method for removing ticks is being forwarded everywhere. It is supposed to be from a nurse who got the advice for tick-removal from a doctor.

To remove a tick by putting a cotton ball soaked in liquid soap will only make the tick panic and it will vomit all the contents of its gut into the victim.

Ticks should be removed using a pointed tweezers or a tick-remover that can grasp it by its mouthpart near your skin and by pulling steadily straight up, no twisting needed.

You should never use a hot match, vaseline, gasoline, or any other home remedy to remove a tick. You will get the tick off, but it will get you first! [end quote]

Ann - OH

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here ya go buddy ............

Anyything that smothers the tick can make it throw up , puke, regurgitate, etc. into you ........ and well we know where that leads. The best way is to get under it and pull back the direction it entered. I have heard of some actually getting under it with an scalpel and cutting away the area it was attached to.... I would do this is if had a bit if lidocaine.

robi md ..........kidding

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045727#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?iubb=get_topic;f=3;t=015448

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

^...we need to be sending out emails!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I knew it. I just was so shocked to see such BLATANT stupidity it kinda stupified me.

I let me sis know what is what and told her to pass on the RIGHT info.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement