LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » off drugs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: off drugs
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking of just stopping the abx for a little bit, maybe a few days or a week. I've been on them a little over a month with no break (except there was a 3 day period without them).

Is this bad if I'm trying to make progress? Will it really slow things down/make me backtrack? I just think I need to focus on detox, supplements, and getting my body up to fighting level again.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your reason for stopping abx? Has your doctor recommended it?

Part of the reason my son and I have gotten well is by following our llmds plan for us.

I never stopped abx and my son only during bad herxing.

This being said, I have come believe there is a place for pulsing abx, but you need to do it right with your doctor's recommendation. Our llmd pulses now, but only when it is appropriate.

It is important to be on top of your health care, but not to make it up yourself.

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a good idea at this time. My LLMD believes in backing off meds [BRIEFLY] if I herx too much....but not stopping for a month after only being on abx for a month.

Please consult with your dr.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riversinger
Member # 4851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riversinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stopping too soon is how bacterial resistance develops. I would speak to your doctor about this.

--------------------
Sonoma County Lyme Support
[email protected]

Posts: 2142 | From California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elley0531     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was only going to stop for a few days, in order to give my GI symptoms a rest. Its just really hard not knowing whether the GI stuff is the lyme, the antibiotics, yeast, prilosec, the list goes on.

It gets so overwhelming,

I called my llmd, he said to remain on the abx unless I am in extreme pain, so I will. I just get so nervous for my already injured body.

Thank you for the responses. This herx or flare up or whatever is really getting to me, the emotions have started, I'm sobbing at everything, the GI pain, now the muscle weakness and burning pains in my arms and back are here again.

I just got so used to them subsiding.

Posts: 594 | From NJ/NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to listen to your body...if you are in severe pain, the herx may be too much...most llmd's don't worry about a few days off since the bugs grow so slowly.

Also, some llmds (Dr P and Dr J) follow a regimen which gives the body breaks...dr. p does one month on two weeks off, dr. j does one month on one month off...

No one really knows the exact protocol for success...

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't stop, especially not around the 30 day mark when symtoms flare and new Lyme becomes active. It has a 30 day cycle.

I stopped antibiotics after 30 days because I thought I was cured! Duh,well my PCP said it was easy to treat w/3 wks of abx.

Within a day and a half of stopping my symptoms raged out of control. I was in extreme pain. I had 3 horrible months of going down hill until I found a LLMD who increased my medication.

Get serious about the anti yeast diet right away. www.wholeapproach.com. Get some heavy duty probiotics and take them before bed. I like Theralac (www.theralac.com) It has made a huge difference for me. You can do a search here to read what other probiotics people like.

Always have lots of water when you take antibiotics and if you are supposed to take them with food have a real meal. Don;t lie down after taking them.

I have not forgotten how bad I felt when I took my 2 day break. Since then I have not missed a single dose in 2 years. Taking antibiotics on a regular schedule is my priority and I plan ahead to make sure I have food & water to take it when I'm out. My stomach is fine ecause of the above and a strict anti yeast, super healthy diet.
hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to find an integrative doctor who is trained in both allopathic and alternative medicine.

You are right to be concerned about your GI health as abx are very hard on the body and especially the gut.

All the same, if you are recently infected with Lyme, abx are the best approach and I agree with the others who say stopping too soon could just develop resistent bacteria.

Where the medical profession fails is in not knowing how to protect us from the fallout of abx like taking probiotics to replace the gut flora and enzymes to help us digest protein as well as supplements for our organs all damaged by not only lyme but also abx.

When I was first infected 10 yrs ago, I was treated antibiotically for 6 mths after which I was in full remission.

I am late stage now and the doctors are treating me all natural and I am doing really well. I often wonder if lyme is even my problem. After all, my Igenex test was CDC positive that I have had lyme but CDC negative and Igenex indecisive as to whether I have lyme now.

I do, however, have systemic yeast and heavy metal toxicity which has the exact same symptoms as lyme. Two LLMDs clinically diagnosed me as lyme positive, but neither tested for these other conditions. It would be easy to make a misdiagnosis and all the abx in the world would have done me no good and plenty of harm.

It is good you are thinking beyond abx, but I agree with others, you shouldn't go it on your own. Discuss your concerns with your doctor. Ask him if he/she knows how to test for leaky gut, systemic yeast, parasites, etc.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

I am on an anti yeast diet. The only thing I allow myself is brown rice, which yes I know is a carb, but I need it for energy and to keep mthings moving downtown.

I am also not a new case. I was treated with abx when I was 9, and my lyme is coming back 16 years later.

I am taking multiple probiotics a day and drink lots of water.

My gen doc is going to test me for heavy metals.

I would go to an alt doc but TBH I just can not afford it. My llmd is out of pocket, and all teh medical costs are killing me.

How much $$ do you end up shelling out for your alt doc appointments?

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elly,

Unfortunately, I shell out plenty. He is in the network of providers covered by my insurance and some of his costs are covered, but not much of the alternative care is covered.

Still, I am having great results and am grateful I am able to afford the cost. BTW, I was unable to work for 4 mths, but am well enough now to work and help pay for the costs.

In addition to working, I am once again riding horses the way I like (I used to compete in 50 mile endurance races on horseback). During the worst of my illness, my husband had to go out into the field to catch the horse, because I could not stand longer than 5 mins. Forget walking across a lumpy, bumpy field. He had to groom the horse because my hands could not brush my teeth or hair, much less a big ole horse. He had to saddle the horse because again, my hands could not function.

Then I used a mounting block (the kind of used to laugh at) to get on the horse and then I rode in a riding ring only. That way, if my horse spooked and bolted, I could stay on until the horse stopped at the fence line, because NO WAY could my hands yank and pull on reins.

I was severely crippled. Riding in a ring for me is like Lance Armstrong riding his bike around the high school track and nowhere else.

Today, I can once again get my horse, tack him up and ride out onto the trails.

The financial cost has been well worth it!

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elley0531
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9434

yes, its such bad timing since I'm getting married in April, so on top of the medical there are all the wedding costs.

I just need to sit down and do some budgeting. Luckily my job gave me a raise recently which is helping.

Perhaps by autumn time I will be able to afford an alt. doc.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement