LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » doctor wants references: treating tick bite with no symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: doctor wants references: treating tick bite with no symptoms?
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 5 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all~

My PCP who is quite open to the whole lyme issue and has been fascinated by it all, asked me a question yesterday.

Is there any literature about treating a tick bite with antibiotics if the person shows NO signs of infection?

I think Dr. B's guidelines talks about 4-6 weeks of antibiotics with signs of early infection...and I gave her those.

I don't think ILADS guidelines talks about treating a tick bite w/o symptoms.

Am I correct? Any published literature out there?

I think she had a patient with a tick bite who had asked her.

And with her seeing what I've been through with not getting diagnosed, she was wondering what the literature had to say.

Thanks in advance....Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IF she's really worried have her go to the ILADS website...

or the LDA

or have her call one of our LLMD's....zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked on the ILADS website and I don't think they mention it. I may be missing something. That is why I have posted the question here.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timaca,

I'm not sure this is exactly on-target, but I did save this link for an article that I believe cave76 posted a while back (forgive me cave if this is a case of mistaken identity!).

http://tinyurl.com/qf7d6

Aviva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one above suggests that a single dose of antibiotic will prevent lyme from developing after a tick bite. But another study found that people who did this still developed lyme in cases they examined.

So, although prophylaxis might be a good idea, this one dose thing is still undertreatment. And IDSA nonsense about identifying the tick, etc is sure to result in more cases untreated in time. Also, what about all those people who don't see the tick or don't know how long it has been attached or can't determine the extent of engorgement. How ludicrous is that in a treatment guideline? Let's have a study where primary care docs are tested on their ability to identify nymphal ticks. Probably not a single one could do it.

What might be more convincing is the finding that keets are in the central nervous system in a very short time after a bite from an infected tick. Can't remember who wrote this article, it has been posted on lymenet a number of times.

The problem is that in states with fewer cases, and not known to have deer ticks, it may be felt that prophylaxis is less important.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyone's replies. My PCP e-mail will be FULL of articles for her to read.

I did a search at www.scholar.google.com for "prohylaxis doxycycline lyme disease" and came up with a bunch of articles. I e-mailed her the whole link.

One on page 5 is worth checking out....Timaca

Development of erythema migrans in spite of treatment with antibiotics after a tick bite - group of 4 �
V Maraspin, S Lotric-Furlan, F Strle - Wien Klin Wochenschr, 2002 - springer.at
... RB, Nowakowski J, Fish D, Falco RC, Freeman K, McKenna D, et al (2001) Prophylaxis
with single-dose doxycycline for the prevention of Lyme disease after an ...
Cited by 3 - Related Articles - View as HTML - Web Search - BL Direct

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement