LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Phoschol vs. lecithin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phoschol vs. lecithin
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still struggling to Rife or use any other lyme killer like garlic/silver, because painful sound sensitivity gets worse.

LLMD prescribed glutathione and phoschol. Phoschol (a lecithin derivitive) is $150/month and works somewhat better than lecithin $20/month.

I'm not sure if it's $130 better. Before I reorder, any thoughts?

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy lecithin granules from the health food store or vitamin shop and put in my morning whey protein shake. I've been doing that since long before Lyme, so I've just decided to continue. However, I've never compared the milligrams of the lecithin with the PhosChol supplements.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what is the list of ingredients on the bottle, that are listed under the section called, "Ingredients"

list of inactive ingredients.

thanks

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got PhosChol made by nutrasal - 100 caps 60.00 from my LLMD - I mix it in with my lecithin. I like the stuff.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for input.

My lecithin is non-genetically modified from Whole Foods store. (I read that genetically modified can have a petunia gene that is from the nightshade family and can theoretically aggravate inflammation.)

My PhosChol is also Nutrasal, previously owned by American Lecithin Company.

pq, The inactive ingrediants are glycerides, fatty acids, and ethanol(?!) Is ethanol bad? The PhosChol is isolated from the other 2/3rds of the material in lecithin, and theoretically more effective at healing brain/nerves.

Dr. R, an environmental doc/author, also recommends this brand.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan,

thanks for listing inactive ingredients.

am i to presume that by the name, 'phoschol,' that you mean phosphatidyl choline?

does the "ingredients" section of the label on the bottle say, 'phosphatidyl choline?

i don't mean to "split hairs" with this question, but ask in the service of accuracy of description.

ethanol is teh alcohol that is consumed.

the glycerides, could be mono-, di-, and triglycerides.

a glyceride is a molecule that can have one to three fatty acid(s), sat.'d, unsat.'d, or a combination of both hooked up to
a molecule of glycerol(glycerin).

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

pq,

Yes on both: PhosChol is phosphatidylcholine, and it is first on ingrediant list.

I've heard lymies say no alcohol even in tinctures. I guess because of sugar conversion, but I don't know. Would that cover ethanol?

Susan

pq
Member # 6886

Susan - thanks.
if its ethanol in the capsules, i wouldn't get all worked up about it.

possibilities:

this could be a typo from teh printer. ethanolamine may have been the intended word, since this is in lecithin, and may have come out with phosphatidyl choline if the latter was originally from lecithin.

the suffical, 'amine,' in ethanolamine may have been omitted for some reason.

in the making of this product, a miniscule amount of alcohol may have been inevitably produced, and cost prohibitive to separate out. if there is ethanolamine in lecthin, and phosphatidyl choline came from lecithin, then teh 'amine' part separated from the ethanol, thereby making alcohol.

who knows...(rhet. ques.)

[ 07. December 2006, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: pq ]

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Thanks for the help on that.
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan,
If you are taking Phosphatidyl Choline, there are less expensive brands.

Source Naturals, Phosphatidyl Choline in Lecithin, 420 mg, 180 Softgels
SRP: $25.50
Our Price: $14.03

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=SNS-00620

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

i corrected my nonsensical paragraph in my post above. [Embarrassed] [Wink] [lol]
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Carol,

That is cheaper. Do you take it? Does it help?

Susan

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement