LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » limbs jerking, shock feeling = electrolites!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: limbs jerking, shock feeling = electrolites!
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 3 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While recovering from recent surgery I had too much fluid intake and my electrolites got all whacked out. During this time I had what I have always experienced as painful shocks in my body and limbs. These shocks can get so bad as to make the whole body or limb jerk or jump or the muscle spasms very quickly.

i had this during rocephin therapy years ago. I was on rocephin this time too---so I made THAT connection, but soon came to realise this may be WRONG.

After some blood work it was revealed that ALL of my electrolites were low---sodium, calcium, mg, and potassium. I had been drinking a gallon of water a day because i was so thirsty from meds.

i stopped the water and against my best instinct I started drinking gatorade and really cut my fluid intake drastically.

It worked within 24 hours the jolts were GONE.

I am just reporting this coz many people have reported similar experiences without knowing it may be due to electrolite imbalance.

I still have twitching, nothing seems to touch that, but the electric jolts are gone and next time they surface, I will try gatorade or my old emergen-C's that i used to use.

hope it helps!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Trails,

I am experiencing electric shocks in my legs that make them jump (this is relatively new although I've had burning neuropathy since the tick bite), and lots of increased twitching, myoclonic jerking, etc.

For me, there may be a correlation with these symptoms and Bartonella.

I do get my electrolytes checked via standard blood tests and they've been normal.

Did you have any other electrolyte tests that are more comprehensive? I'd be interested in whatever you can pass along because these symptoms are so miserable.

I haven't tried the Gatorade because I'm going through testing to see if I have candida and am trying to avoid the sugar, but I may just give it a whirl!

Hope you are doing better!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a timely post, since so many are reporting these symptoms....thanks [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you nailed it, Trailsey. That's very interesting.

It's really good to see you post!

[kiss]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this happens to me. Bartonella...hmmmm, could be since I have it.

What works really well for me when I'm getting all shocky and dehydrated, or overhydrated, is I take 1/4 teaspoon of really good salt, either untreated (unbleached, unrefined, wet and squishy) Atlantic or Himalayan. Yuck-o, but I just swish it down with water. I feel better very quickly.

This is a great way to stay/get hydrated while keeping the electrolytes balanced and high enough. Basically, the salt + the water creates saline, which mimics the viscosity/weight of your blood and is much more easily absorbed by cells. Straight water can sometimes go straight through you because it doesn't match the saline of your body. Also the salt creates the electrolytes.

I love Gatorade but have to stay away from it because of the sugar or sweeteners.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails you are so right!

For those that are like me, leary about the sugar, watering it down does the job as well and makes the sugar content less.

1/2 water 1/2 aide

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin Water also has electrolytes, and I believe less sugar than Gatorade. It's atleast not corn syrup in the Vitamin Water.

I started drinking both when I have low energy. I started this summer because I would just feel wiped out in the heat. I don't have the shocks, but I can tell the electrolytes help.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement