LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dental work and antibiotics question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental work and antibiotics question
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I learned that I need to have a molar pulled. I lost a very large filling that was

probably one of the first I ever had. I even had a large piece of metal fall out of the hole where the filling was and I am assuming it was mercury.

I have tested positive on Western Blots through IgeneX and MDL on separate occasions (about 2 months apart. I also tested positive for Mycoplasma.

I have not yet been treated with antibiotics because of the current political climate with my LLMD,

My dentist prescribed 4 capsules of 500 MG. Amoxicillin to be taken 2 hours before I have my tooth pulled on Monday morning.

Since I know I have Lyme but have never had any antibiotics, what should I expect from taking the Amoxicillin? Could that cause me to herx?

I am already in a lot of pain and have neuro sx. I guess I am asking because I am nervous about the whole process. I have never had a tooth pulled except for my wisdom teeth when I was in my early 20's.

I need to also mention that my blood work shows that my immune system is VERY compromised, working on overtime and ready to crash as my LLMD says.

Anyone have an opinion of what to expect and if the Amox will help prevent an infection with the pulled tooth and/or cause a herx reaction?

Thanks so much for your time,
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TNJ...

Have you got prosthetics in you like replaced knees or hips?

This is the standard dose for me when I ever have to have dental work done as well due to my fake knees.

I usually never had a lyme related problem...however it may happen...

In the event that a herx has begun with your dental dose or dosing afterwards you may or may not have a problem with the tooth extraction.

I have had dry socket on numerous occasions.
Very painful.

Some of us are hypersensitive to pain due to our lyme infections in the nervous systems.

You may also experience a definite fatigue after the initial dose due to your lyme infection.

If this occurs I would recommend somehow getting an extension of your script from either your dentist(which I doubt will happen)

Your Orthopedic surgeon If you have fake joints or your politically estranged LLMD.

Good luck
zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cavie!

I feel better already! I read and read here about ABX and dosages and it just doesn't stay in this ole Lyme head of mine for long.

I might add that I am listed on my dentist's "allergies" sheet an allergy to penicillin (though I am not sure, just remember my mother telling me that I was)

and also codeine (and he prescribed oxycodone for pain.)

Ever get the feeling that you are part of a big assembly line and some docs, even dentists, just provide the same treatment for everyone?

This dentist doesn't use gas, only LOTS of shots to numb the area being worked on. I get sort of woosey from the shots.

But, all in all, he's a good dentist and his wife works as his assistant and they do seem to care. I sent them an email with lots of Lyme lit. to read

and they did. Their house is just a block from where I grew up and probably had my first tick exposure so they were paying attention.

He was incredulous that I can't get local TX for Lyme. Just chipping away at the lack of info one doc at a time.

So I have to eat soup for a couple of days? That's something I can still do....open a can of soup and nuke it.

Thanks for your response.....always good to hear from you!
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there Zman!

I'm glad to say that all my parts are still MY parts, except for a few tooth fillings.

I have heard of "dry socket" but don't really know what that is. Sounds like I better save my pain meds for after the procedure.

Dentist said what is left of tooth shows bone exposure on XRay.

BTW, I had to ASK for ABX. I was just concerned because of my immune system workup.

My dear politically compromised LLMD in NC can't prescribe an aspirin as I understand it, unless I test CDC positive and then only 3 weeks worth.

I remember a rash of break-ins at pharmacies for the thief to get scheduled drugs. Wonder how long it will be before some Lymie gets desperate enough to break in for ABX!?!

Ironically, it might be good publicity for us suffering souls.

Thanks for your reply, bionic cutie!
Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement