LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zithromax IV--Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zithromax IV--Help
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After two doses of zith iv, I have diarreah, near vomiting, and massive headache/fatigue...

I didn't take today's dose and feel a bit better but am worried that the bugs are getting stronger...

Anyone have experience with zith IV?

thanks,
Kim

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a major herx to me. How often are you infusing?

You might want to talk to your doc about slowing it down at first.

I've never had zith iv, just rocephin and I only had minor herxes with it at the beginning. But a lot of fatigue.

Good luck! I don't think the keets are winning, I think the zith is.....you are just in the line of fire. [Wink]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi kim,

I'm sorry for your rugged IV start on Zith. I have not had the IV experience, but I can tell you that after oral Zith for 3 1/2 months I am currently experiencing everything that you've mentioned except the diahrrea.

My inability to think and ear ringing are coupled with the headache -- sort of like some one put a wet suit on my brain and it's filling with air pressure. When the pressure lessens it's more like a sweater from the 50s on my brain: fuzzy and tight with hints of fluffy angora revealing the curves of my cerebellum!

My anxiety, like yours, is worst-case-scenario that the bugs are winning. Somehow, though, I think the Zithromax is taking the upper hand making them real angry and we're both having a major herx.

Are you on anything else?

May the force be with you,

tori

P.S. PM me if you want a herx buddy!

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pharmacy said that the diarreha is a adverse effect and I should stop. I am feeling better being off it a day now. I don't want any more pain right now.

I was infusing over an hour. Don't know what to do next, doc is away till wed.

Tori, I also know that tinnitus and headache are adverse effects of the drug too. Make sure your doc knows about these symptoms...

Really hate this disease. I am just gonna take an abx holiday...
Thanks for your replies,
Kim

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
humanbeing,
What was your daily dose of Zithro?

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple of month of IV zith right after a good run of rochepin. How much Zith are you infusing - I was doing 7 days a week and yes it also became difficult for me.

My doc wanted me to do 1000mg a day. I did indeed cut back. With the long half life of zith I did back off on some of the dosing to 500 and did start to pulse it.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

John,

How are you doing now? Did the zith iv help in the long run? I am in abx limbo right now not knowign what to do next...

Thanks
Kim

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would be also my thinking. Start slow with 500 mg/day or even 250 mg.
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

thanks,
my doc is away till tomorrow but i feel better now third day off all abx...I do worry still cause the neck pain is increasing as well as dizzyness...

My doc didn't want me to reduce the dose but I will suggest it tomorrow.

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you try infusing at a slower rate...say over 2+ hours? Ask your doctor.
When I did IV Zithro I had dizziness and ringing in the ears that were side effects fo the Zithro itself and not a herx, you could have that, and infusing slower helps. It could be a herx too, or both, ask the doc though. [Smile] Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim,

I was taken off of IV zith about 2 weeks ago because of hearing loss. I stayed on it for 2 months. I had similar head sensations and felt like I was on helium. But overall I think it was helping my brain and inner ear symptoms a lot. I am sad that I had to go off. Now I am beginning to relapse, and the dizziness is getting worse and my cognitive skills are on the decline. I was able to drive on the highway almost normally while on the zith (and 400 plaquenil) for the first time since being sick.

The diarreah and vomiting I did not have. That sounds bad. I know it is very hard on your gut so I was doing a few theralac per day, rotating that with culterelle. They really seemed to help. If I missed the dosing by a few hours I felt yeast symptoms creeping in.

I am sure that you are on probiotics, but are they good ones and are they enough?

Years ago, though, when I was on rocephin, prior to having serum sickness, I had severe diarrhea and eventually went into serum sickness after 10 days. They were afraid I had c-dif, which is obviously a concern. This, most recent round on rocephin, I did not have the diarrhea. i was doing massive probiotics this time. But I did get serum sickness eventually.

But I liked the head feeling that the zith gave me, even if it was hell. But I like it because I knew it was getting into my brain and ears and dizzines has always been one of my biggest problems. It was really helping that. My hearing has compketely returned after being off the zith for two weeks.

Now I am on round 3 - starting doxy IV any day now. Just got a new PICC line today.

Good luck Kim and keep us posted. I am not sure if you should give up on it just yet... I wish I had the answer. If it weren't for the diarrhea, it seems like maybe it could be ok. And you've had no temps or rashes, right?

Sara

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humanbeing:
John,

How are you doing now? Did the zith iv help in the long run? I am in abx limbo right now not knowign what to do next...

Thanks
Kim

Over the long run IV zith did help a lot. My infusion time was about 2 1/2 hours. I was on IV zith about 9 weeks.

I had a lot of energenic testing done while on it and it really showed that bug loads were going down for babs, bart, lyme and my myco infection.

I also did runs of art and flagyl of 4 days on and 3 off after 3 weeks of IV zith.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Thanks Luv and John

John did you pulse the zith IV and do the flagyl on off days?

Also, Did you start infusing at one hour and then go to 2.5?

Thanks,
I still am in limbo wonder what to do next.
Kim

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement