LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Artemisinin -- feeling Polar Blast's pain!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Artemisinin -- feeling Polar Blast's pain!
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow -- okay, a little history --

This year, I did 4 months of treatment for babs consisting of ketek/mepron/artemisinin. I became asymptomatic for babs during that time, but relapsed as soon as treatment was discontinued. I never herxed at all, except very briefly from the ketek.

So, this second round of babs treatment, LLNP decided to go with zith/mepron instead -- still, no herx. THEN, last month, we added macrobid into the mix, and I started to herx quite a bit with babs stuff -- uncomfortable, to be sure, but still tolerable.

My NP had recently been out of artemisinin, so I hadn't taken that for a month. Having just replenished my supply, I decided to add that back into the cocktail, too, and seeing as how it had no real effect before, I didn't think twice about it.... HOOOOO-EE! Man, did I ever herx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had crazy head and neuro symptoms-- felt like I was losing my mind, as well as having a 3-hour-long panic attack! Disorientation, fear, severe neuro flare, you name it! Thankfully, I knew it was organic in nature, so I was able to ride it out, but sheesh was it unpleasant.

So, long story short, I will be adding the art back in veeeery slowly, and with great respect. Guess this means the treatment is working, though!

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think arteminisin is a powerful herb on it's own. And there may be something about the oils, too, which may increase the action of the herb, which is not fully understood, yet. Polar took his dose with cod liver oil.

Those emotional herxes are difficult to ride out. It is great that you had some knowledge beforehand, so that you were able to deal with it to some extent.

Hope all goes well.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemisinin (Wormwood) - From Malaria To Cancer

(READING TIPS: For fast reading, scan through the topic headings in BOLD BLACK, important conclusions in BOLD BLUE, and " Must Know " in BOLD RED. To jump to specific sections in this article, click on the respective LINKS in the Contents.)

Contents
The Use for Malaria
The Use for Cancer
Forms of Artesminin
Toxicity and Side Effects
Cautions
Dosage
Product Concerns

Many marvels of modern medicine are discovered by accident. Some of these include: -

1. The discovery of penicillin by Alexander Fleming.
2. The use of saw palmetto to prevent benign prostate enlargement.
3. Digoxin to enhance cardiac function.
4. Gingko to reduce vascular viscosity and increase blood flow.

Recently, another ancient herb called artemisinin was discovered. History documentation showed that it was used to treat intestinal parasitic infections, hemorrhoids (its an anti-inflammatory) and malaria as early as 2000 years ago.

THE USE FOR MALARIA

This treatment for malaria was, however, lost over time. It was only rediscovered in an archeological dig in the 1970s where its medicinal use was found in a recipe inside a tomb. The formula was dated back to 168 B.C. where the Chinese chemist isolated the primary active ingredient from the leafy portion of plant called A. annua L.

In 1972, scientists in the West called this crystalline compound "qinghaosu" or "artemisinin". Since then, studies in China and Vietnam have confirmed that artemisinin is a highly effective compound with close to 100 percent response rate for treating malaria. It has the ability to destroy the malaria parasite by releasing high doses of free radicals that attack the cell membrane of the parasite in the presence of high iron concentration. In fact, over one million malaria patients have been cured via this method. Their symptoms also subsided in a matter of days.

However, the treatment using this herb to treat malaria is not approved for use in the U.S.A due to the concern that it has a 21 percent recrudescent rate. Scientists believe that this is more likely due to patients not taking the compound for a long period. Many of them actually stop taking it as soon as their symptoms subside.

Artemisinin comes in a few derivatives, including the oil soluble artemether, which has been found to induce neurotoxic symptoms in animals in high dose (but not reported in humans). For those who are technically inclined, the activities of all artemisinin derivatives are dependent on their internal endoperoxide bridge. It is therefore a close relative of hydrogen peroxide therapy. While the exact mechanism is still under intense research, it has been shown that this herb works via highly reactive oxygen-based free radicals that becomes activated in the presence of iron. Iron is an oxidant, and our body tries to protect us from excessive iron moving it to a binded state such as hemoglobin and enzymes. The malaria parasite accumulates iron by infecting iron-rich red blood cell. Excessive iron that is spilled onto the surrounding tissues will activate the artemisinin to generate a burst of free radicals that attack the iron rich cells, killing the parasite in the process.

In other words, this compound works well in an iron rich environment (remember that malaria lives in the red blood cell rich in iron) through the release of free radicals that serve to damage the malaria organism. It is also interesting to note that drugs known to work by enhancing oxygen radical effects such as doxorubicin can enhance the effects of artemisinin.

For malaria, there is no resistance nor toxicity at the dosage of 3 grams, (about 50mg/kg) administered over a 3 to 5 day period. It is especially useful in the treatment of drug resistant malaria.

Outside of the United States, artemisinin is the number one natural herb used for malaria treatment.

THE USE FOR CANCER

So far, the most extensive study on the use of Artemisinin as an anti-cancer agent was carried out by bioengineering scientists Drs Narenda Singh and Henry Lai of the University of Washington. This study was reported in the Journal Life Science (70 (2001): 49-56).

Iron is required for cell division, and it is well known that many cancer cell types selectively accumulate iron for this purpose. Most cancers have large number of iron attracting transferring receptors on their cell surface compared to normal cells. In laboratory studies of radiation, resistant breast cancer cells that has high propensity for accumulating iron revealed that artemisinin has 75 percent cancer cell killing properties in a 8 hours and almost 100 percent killing properties within 24 hours when these cancer cells are "pre-loaded" with iron after incubation with holotransferrin. On the other hand, the normal cells remained virtually unharmed. Another study showing the effectiveness of artesunate in treatment of cancer was also published in Oncology (April 2001: 18(4): 767-73).

The fact that iron content of cancer cells is high has also been used in another anti-cancer therapy called Zoetron therapy, where iron containing cancer cells are induced into motion using a magnetic device to induce resonance. Resonance generate heat. Cancer cells are more sensitive to heat compared to normal healthy cells. When cancer cells are heated to a certain temperature, they die while normal cells still survive.

Artemisinin is effective against a wide variety of cancers as shown in a series of successful experiments. The most effective is leukemia and colon cancer. Intermediate activities were also shown against melanoma, breast, ovarian, prostate, CNS and renal cancer. Although artemisinin is insoluble in water, it is able to cross the blood brain barrier (the water soluble artesunate is the weakness among the derivates) and may be particularly suitable for curing brain tumors, together with Poly-MVA (an metalo-vitamin)

In laboratory studies, iron needs to be added to enhance the effects of artemisinin. Within the human body, no such addition is necessary, as iron already exist in the body. It can also be taken orally and therefore high doses are not required. Some people believe that as nitrogen (tertiary amine) is absent in ART, cancer cells cannot get rid of it once it enters into the cancer cell. As a result, ART stays in the cell much longer.

In addition to the high affinity for iron in aggressive cancer cell types, most cancer cells also lack the enzyme catalayse and gutathione peroxidase. Catalayse breaks down hydrogen peroxide. A low catalayse content means a higher hydrogen peroxide load, which can release superoxide free radicals when properly stimulated to do so. This is in fact one common mechanism among chemotherapeutic agents as well as vitamin C. These traits make cancer cells more susceptible to oxidative damage as compare to normal cells in the presences of hydrogen peroxide. For this reason, administration of vitamin C in high dose is acceptable, although a gap of 2-3 hours is preferred.

According to Dr Rowen , a naturally oriented medical doctor and editor of the medical newsletter " Second Opinion" , the Hoang family of physicians in Vietnam had used arteminisin in the treatment of cancer for years. They have reported that, over a 10-year period, more than 400 patients were treated with artemisinin in conjunction with a comprehensive anti-cancer program with 50 to 60 percent long-term remission rate. The safety record of artemisinin has well been studied for over 25 years. No significant toxicity in short-term use for malaria at high dose of up to 70 mg/kg per day has been reported.

Artemisinin is not a stand-alone chemotherapeutic agent. A combination of nutritional supplements (such as green tea, CoQ10 and pancreatic enzyme) as well as a good anti-cancer diet is required.

ART may be administered orally, with a 32 percent bioavailability as compared to injections. It is highly bound to membranes. Laboratory measurement of its serum level is therefore not exact.

Forms of Artesminin

There are three common forms of artemsinin. The water soluble form is called artesunate . It is the most active and the least toxic. It also has the shortest life within the body Artemether is the lipid soluble form. It has the longest life but also the most toxic in high dosage which is seldom needed. The biggest advantage of artemether is that it can cross the blood brain barrier. Artemisinin is the active parent compound of the plant. It's half-life is intermediate. It is also very safe, and can cross the blood-brain barrier. Some clinicians prefer to use a combination of all three forms, while others tend to favor the use of artemisinin alone with great success.

TOXICITY AND SIDE EFFECTS

High doses of artemisinin can produce neurotoxicity such as gait disturbances, loss of spinal and pain response, respiratory depression, and ultimately cardiopulmonary arrest in large animals.

In human beings, there are very few reports of adverse effects except for one case of first-degree heart block. According to Robert Rowen, MD, there is a dose related decrease in reticulocyte count for 4 days after artesunate or artemether at doses of 4 mg/kg per day for 3 days. However, the count returns to normal by day 14. When artemisinin suppositories are used, doses as high as 40 mg/kg per day have no effects on the reticulocyte count. In a study, it was reported that up to 35 percent of the volunteers had some form of transient drug induced fever.

When ART is tested with monkeys, they showed no toxicity when they received up to 292 mg/kg of artemether over 1 to 3 months. This is equal to a human dose of 20,000 mg for a 70 kg male (Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine 2(1):31-36 1982). In another study, there was also no sign of toxicity in over 4000 patients. This does not exclude possible cases of long-term cumulative toxicity which is unknown at this time.

CAUTIONS

a. No artesminin should be taken within 30 days of radiation therapy because of possible free iron leaks to the surrounding tissues after radiation therapy.

b. Preliminary laboratory studies include: CBC, reticulocyte count, liver function test, ferritin, TIBC, ESR, C reactive protein, and appropriate tumor markers. If the iron load is low, supplementing iron for a few days can be considered prior to starting artemisinin.

c. Tumor markers may increase during the initial stages as the tumor starts breaking down.

d. Vitamin E may work against the effectiveness of ART in vitro. However, this has not been shown to be a concern in human clinical cases.

DOSAGE

The therapeutic dose ranges from 200 mg a day up to 1,000 a day (in divided doses ) depending on cancer types and the source of the herb. In laboratory studies, significant cell toxicity is shown to have been effected at dosage as little as 1-2 mg/kg body weight .

The exact dosage is highly controversial. In addition to the lack of clinical trials and individual variations, the dosage is highly dependent on the purity and potency of the herb itself. The same 100 mg capsules from one manufacturer may have different and varied effect from another manufacturer.

Artemisinin should always be taken with food. Cod liver oil , cottage cheese, or fish oil may be administered at the same time to enhance absorption. Generally, 400 to 800 mg per day can be used for at least 6 to 12 months. After that, it can be tapered off slowly.

Always take artesminin 2-3 hours aside from other antioxidants such as Vitamin C.

Artemisinin is a "cooling herb" in the traditional Chinese medicine perspective, and some may find it too "cooling" with symptoms such as tingling. If this occurs, then the dosage should be reduced.

Despite its seemingly high degree of effectiveness, it is important to note that artemisinin is not a stand-alone compound. Concurrent use of high dose pancreatic enzyme , daily enema, liver detoxification, and periodic laboratory measurement should also be considered as part of an overall aggressive anti-cancer program.

PRODUCT CONCERNS

Due to the increasing popularity of this product, the consumer should exercise extreme caution and buy only from the most reputable supplier. Only genuine and pure artemisinin should be used, and only buy from sources you are familiar with. There is tremendous variation in the potency of the herb. A 100 mg of artemisinin from one source may be many times more potent than the same 100 mg from another source. Only buy from source you can trust, and not be fooled by inexpensive "alternatives".

Since the herb comes from China and South-east Asia, proper quality assurance on purity and standardization is of tremendous importance. High-grade artemisinin must always be confirmed by independent laboratory analysis on a batch by batch basis to ensure consistence and purity.

Lastly, always check with your health care professional prior to starting this herb.

Read also: Artemisinin Research Study

Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to clarify that Artemisia Annua or Sweet Annie is of the Wormwood family....but is a specific type of Wormwood.

I wouldn't want anyone to run to the health store and pick up a bottle of Wormwood and think they had the specific herb.

Just FYI [Big Grin]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clairnotes makes a very valid point in that lymenet is giving us so much information about what to expect from various meds and herbs.

Before the internet, many of us would still be undiagnosed and many have no clue what was going on with our treatment, so although it's horrid to see what some have dealt with, it helps us go in with opened eyes.

As they say, "knowledge is a powerful tool".

8Man, you may have just solved a rough mystery I dealt with in the information you put out there. Since I'm seeing my LLMD and a N.D. at the same time, I'm doing both abx and chinese meds.

You mention that art should taken 3 hours from antioxidants, such as Vitamin C. I had a Vitamin C IV and during it, took my lunch time pills which included art, came home and was sick as a dog.

When I went back for my next IV the coming week, they had no idea why I had so much trouble and decided to cut my dose of C and other vitamin and minerals in the IV in half, but my IV popped out and since I was still so sick, they decided I didn't need the drip that badly to redo it.

NOW I wonder WHY they say not to put the two close together. Do you have any knowledge as to what you may feel or if it's more about canceling one out.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Artemisinin is insoluble in water but soluble in oil.

some pharmaceutical manufacturers recommend that Artemisinin be taken with oil/fat to increase its bioavailability.

According to my experience, when 100mg of artemether was taken with 1000mg of faxseed oil, its effects would be increased at least two times.

So if taken with oil/fat, the amount of artemisinin should be reduced greatly.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like some important information has been brought to the forefront because of Polar Blasts experiece with Artemisinin and the cod liver oil.

I'm glad something good came from his miserable ordeal.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to all for the information shared here about so many subjects!

I've always taken my artemisinin with my other meds (not supplements, though), which involves concurrent fat consumption due to the mepron. Interestingly, though, none of the babs treatment drugs (including art) seemed to do much of anything, herx wise, until the addition of the macrobid. That pushed things up a notch or two!

I had a lot of these neuro/mental/panic states when I was younger, so I am almost certain it was a herx in my case -- I took some chlorella afterward, which seemed to help a lot.

I've also become quite skilled over the years at talking myself through mental hiccups such as these.... still unpleasant, but not nearly as scary as when I thought, years ago, that I was literally going insane.

Anyhow, yes, this is an herb that deserves respect.

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement