LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » High fever flu?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: High fever flu?
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any one had this??? I have chills and fever up to 102.9, then it breaks after about 3 hours and I sweat a lot and it goes down to normal.

About 4 or 5 hours later, it repeats. It has been with me since Sunday night - today is Wednesday. Luckily, it breaks by midnight and I can sleep until 5 or 6.

There are no other symptoms except my muscles in arm, leg and chest are a bit tight from all the severe shaking.

My daughter in San Francisco said she had heard of such a flu that lasts a couple of days and then goes away for good.

Anyone???
Thanks,
Ann

Ps. I take ibuprofen for joint pain every 8 hours. So I waited until 4 hours had passed and tried a couple of aspirin. No effect. Not sure you can mix tylenol and ibprofen?? Can you???

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann, I haven't heard of a bug going around like that one. I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling this way.

I've had lots of recurring high fevers, which follow a similar pattern to yours - but mine have finally settled down with babs treatment.

I have alternated Tylenol and Advil for some of my fevers - taking one or the other every 2 hours (depending on the dose) so that one is always peaking. Maybe call your pharmacist to doublecheck this before you try it, since I'm not sure about the dose (and I'm not a doc!).

Can you call your LLMD and discuss this, if it continues?

Hope you're feeling better soon.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ann, so sorry to read you've been so sick with this flu ??

NO, my pharmacist told me NOT to take tylenol and ibuprofen together.

best wishes on getting better so you can enjoy christmas with your family members.
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also had recurring fevers like you describe along with muscle weakness and joint pain. Still not sure what causes the fevers. I'm waiting on muscle biopsy results to find out if it is Lyme or Polymyositis. Both can cause fevers. I'm back on Prednisone temporarily which has stopped the fevers and lets me function so I can get my shopping done.

As for the Ibuprofen and Tylenol mix...you need to check with your pharmacist or doctor and not rely on the suggestions on this board. Generally speaking it is fine to alternate the two meds. My pediatrician has suggested it when the kids' fevers weren't coming down. However, Tylenol can be very damaging to the liver so depending on your specific condition and the other meds you may be taking, they may not want you to have Tylenol. I know that I cannot take Tylenol right now because my LFT are abnormally high.

I've found that my pharmacist has been more helpful and easier to contact than my doctor. Also, the pharmacist can pull up all the meds you are on and determine what the best meds might be. Their knowledge of the various drugs (both RX and OTC) is incredible.

I hope you are feeling better soon!
Karen

Posts: 154 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Ann,

They told me at the Cleve VA Drug program I had to attend that acetaminiphin and Ibuprofen is ok to use together...

The problem comes in when you are taking say oxycodone and tylenal...cuz there's tylenol in the oxycodone(and codeine) so you will get an overdose of the aceteminafen....

LIVER DAMAGE...

Same for advil(Ibuprofen) and any other pain killer with Ibubrofen in it....

KIDNEY DAMAGE....and we know about your kidney problems right now....
Maybe that's why the fever!..???

I still HEAT up every night and sweat all night thru...I only get about 2hrs at a time...probably cuz of the diabetes now too and some ya know...pinching of the urinary tract....

Does this help any???
[group hug] [kiss]

TONY

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody! Good info! I am feeling better today. Had a fever this morning, but not since.
Trying to drink lots of water. I have to keep going to be ready for the Holiday.

Ann - OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann

I'm fighting something too, tummy trouble, pepto - nausea stuff not working etc, no fever.

I know what you mean about in a hurry to get better for the holidays..

One Yr in my house I remember passing the pepto rather then the wine, yep all of us sick and all on xmas!

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement