LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Amoxicllin Dosage

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Amoxicllin Dosage
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my last visit with the Doctor He said that from his experience upping the dose to like 7,000mg doesn't change much. He prefers to use
Probenecid I have been leary of this drug since
I could not find enough information on it.

Has anyone experienced lasting results from upping their dosage of Amoxicillin from 3000mg?

I have searched and found posts for a few people that went up to the teens in dosage but were neither helped or cured with this method, and went on to other drugs.

----

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been tested for co-infections?

If you have any co-infections, then they need to be treated first before you can go after the Lyme. Otherwise, you won't get anywhere with your treatment.

I don't think your dosage of Amoxicillin is high enough. My 9 year old 90lb daughter is on 4000mg/day and is responding better than at 2000 and 3000mg.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only received testing for co-infections this
week after being on amoxicillin for 3 1/2 months.

Yikes, Nancy yes that does make my dosage look
small. The good news is it sounds as though upping the dose for your daughter has helped.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nancy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 95

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nancy2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on 1500mg daily of Amoxy, 1000mg Biaxin and 400 Plaquinil daily.

It was not until my dose was upped to 5000mg Amoxy that I really turned around. It was a large enough dose to cross the blood-brain barrier, and my brain fog just lifted!

Hope this helps!

Posts: 1487 | From New England | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

UP
Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probenecid slows down removal of Amoxicillin from the body.
So the same effect can be obtained by doubling dose of Amoxicillin as the addition of Probenecid.

I also think that it is better to double your dose. You may be allergic to Probenecid.
Amoxicillin is a very safe abx (as other penicillins).
I personally took up to 28 g of Amoxicillin per day. I didn’t start from this dose but rather slowly ramp up starting from 4 g/day. I heard about a guy from NY who went up to 40 g of Amoxicillin per day. Just drink a little more of water to protect your kidneys.

Still even this amount of Amoxicillin didn’t cure me. Tetracyclines helped me the most.

Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

A,

How long were you on Amoxicillin before you switched to Tetracycline (?)

I guess I cant imagine going up that high,
fearful of the Probencid and Dr. does not think
higher doses of amoxy work any better.

I just dont want to take this for a year only to find out I should have used something else or
a combo.

Bicillin has been mentioned, however I understand that there is a major shortage. I dont want to be stuck or end up with the Bicillin CR which they will tell me is the same
but I know it isn't.

Areneli
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 Mo or so
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

No cure but it has improved me
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi marsy! hope you are well and getting better.

I am slowly bumping up from 4 g/day to 7.5 g/day.
Slowly because it seems that I herx for some time
after bumping up dosages, and this is a bad time
for me to be not feeling well.

So, I will report back to you in one month, let
you know how the higher dosage is working. I
guess that herxing when I bump up the dose
means that I am killing more Bb, after 5 months
on abx, my body still seems to have an endless
store of these chetes to kill off....

Make sense to me to take this higher dose
if that is what is needed to cross the bbb.
So I will take up to 7.5 g/day, half in the
morning and half in the evening, in the next
couple of weeks.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Member # 6740

I bumped my dose once a week to have time to get over the Herx.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement