LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Drug Holiday" for me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Drug Holiday" for me
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to update everyone on my condition. I'm in a rather unusual state of affairs. For the last two years I've been seeing this LLMD and I've been on pretty much every semi-conventional treatment under the sun to treat positive IgeneX Lyme and Babesia. Marshal protocol, IV vitamin C and hydrogenperoxide, tons of antibiotics, mepron, alinia etc.. everything except for IV rocephin, which this practice only believes in as a last resort. I'm also taking a metric ton of supplements. My most recent schedule of prescriptions have been 500mg Alinia 2x daily, 600 Zithromax + 75 Clindamycin every other day, and 500 Famcyclovir 3x daily.

To fast forward to today, my prevailing symptoms are fatigue and brain fog, same as they have always been. These haven't really improved greatly over the course of treatment. I also have pain, but it can be managed and I don't consider it to be life altering if I had full energy and my mind working as it should.

My CD57 is over 250. My current babesia WA-1 (Labcorps, for some reason) has been negative 5 times. My vitamin D ratio is normal, but my vitamin D as a whole has been low. My iodine was a bit low last time according to one of their urine tests.

Over the last few visits these LLMDs have been getting away from the actual lyme and coinfections themselves and looking for other problems. According to one of the MD's, he says that I'm not exhibiting any signs of infection or inflammation any longer and posed a new theory about why I still feel crappy.

In short, chemical toxicity. All of the antibiotics and yes, even supplements aren't completely pure. Prescription drugs especially aren't meant to be taken chronically and have all sorts of binders, including halogens like bromine and fluorine. That's what he thinks is causing my problem, combined with the fact that nobody really knows what long term Alinia is capable of. So he's going to test this hypothesis by giving me a holiday.

No drugs. No supplements except for fish oil and vitamin D drops. In two weeks I can add other things in if I want (protein shake, other vitamins etc). I'll be bringing back the iodine then too to help remove any halogens that are causing a problem.

I really hope this works. I was speaking to my mother today who told me when she was on antibiotics (for normal, unrelated to lyme things) they made her feel crappy. We're so used to feeling crappy from lyme, we may not know when lyme ends and the drugs begin!

So I hope this works. I hope I really am basically cured of active infection. I hope I don't backslide like some people do. But I wanted to put this possibility out there for people that have been on harsh treatment for a long period of time. If your CD57 is normal and many other tests come out negative, it may be time to try a drug holiday.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackstone, I'm taking abx for the first time in a couple of years and am having side effects from them. It's not herx. Some of my tendons are hurting and a couple hours after taking the avalox I get depressed. I looked it up and both of these are a side effect from the drug. strong stuff.
Good luck with your break.
Don't forget probiotics!!

Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may work! Be sure to watch your diet as per yeast. When you go off abx, the yeast will still be there.

Get some Theralac [not Threelac] and keep on the diet for another year. Then you'll know for sure it's not the yeast causing symptoms.

You may also want to consider Rife at this time to keep the bugs at bay and keep you from relapsing. Worked for me!!

Summerlove....Avelox can cause the tendon stuff, right? Be very careful!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks lymetoo. I have been being careful as far as stepping off my step stool slower than usual and things like that. I won't be on the drug for too long.

Is the theralac guaranteed to have potency? (I'm too lazy to do a search. just kidding. I'll do a search) I just don't trust some of these probiotics that are sold am an not sure their even alive.

Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting, Blackstone. Your doc has made a very good point about drugs not being "pure" and containing a lot of junk not meant to be taken over a long period.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a much larger problem than anybody realizes.

I thought you were also using combination homeopathy? Or maybe I got my wires crossed on that?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on an abx break because of GI syptoms and, almost 4 weeks in, I feel great. I do still get dizziness and my shoulder muscles are tight.

But it's a lot fewer symptoms than on abx. I think I also need to clear out my system.

The dizziness I'm pretty sure is autonomic nervous system related, as my pulse drops about 20 points when I'm dizzy. I believe the ANS symptoms need to be treated seperately from Lyme and won't just disappear when Lyme is gone. You need to reverse the damage.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by summerlove:
Is the theralac guaranteed to have potency? (I'm too lazy to do a search. just kidding. I'll do a search) I just don't trust some of these probiotics that are sold am an not sure their even alive.

Go to www.theralac.com

this stuff works just as they say it does

I've used probiotics for years and never got the results on them like I have on Theralac. You only have to take one a day in most cases.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

thanks lymetoo. I don't mind paying more if it works. sounds like good stuff!
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthfinder:
Thanks for posting, Blackstone. Your doc has made a very good point about drugs not being "pure" and containing a lot of junk not meant to be taken over a long period.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be a much larger problem than anybody realizes.

I thought you were also using combination homeopathy? Or maybe I got my wires crossed on that?

Tracy

Truthfinder -

Yes, I was also under homeopathic treatment. In about November (I think) my homeopathic M.D. basically certified me as being clean and that I had no more active infections, stopping the homeopathy. Since that time, he has been doing accupuncture, as a neurotherapist (phd) did a surface EEG of my brain and I pretty much have no brainwaves of any kind, except delta. She isn't sure if thats because of lyme or something else, and that's a totally different theory on illness altogether!

So yes, now both my ILADS style LLMD and my homeopathic/accupuncture MD think I'm more or less clear of infection at the moment.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a thread here that talks about an old study (circa 2000) of several brands of probiotics- they tested fairly good as far as potency:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049257

I just bought a really fancy probiotic and i'm going to use it as a starter to make yogurt (or rejuvelac or sauerkraut, all of which use the same beneficial bacteria)- I sometimes get better results, digestion-wise, if I take a 'live' food probiotic than a pill, and right now I feel like I need variety after 6 months of killing everything in my system.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rife therapy works for my wife. No side effects, easy to do, and steady improvement.
It is really like hitting the spirochetes with a baseball bat.

I like the idea of hitting them with a baseball bat.

But, maybe you will not backslide at all. After what you have been thru, you deserve a break.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackstone, you said you stopped the homeopathy in November. How many months/years were you doing that? You are seeing Doc S. in MD, correct?

quote:
a neurotherapist (phd) did a surface EEG of my brain and I pretty much have no brainwaves of any kind, except delta. She isn't sure if thats because of lyme or something else, and that's a totally different theory on illness altogether!
Whoa! That seems really strange. Aren't delta waves normally ONLY found during stages 3 and 4 of deep sleep?

That sure would explain the fatigue and brain fog.... it's hard to imagine just how much this might affect you. I can't imagine how this happened.... possibly even from Lyme? That would certainly be something new I've never heard about.

Can you tell us any more about what your docs think this is from, what the implications are as far as your health, etc.?

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Yes, I'm seeing the famous Doc S in MD for homeopathy and acupuncture [Smile] He treated me for a little less than a year.. I want to say about 8 months, with appointments every 6 weeks or so.

This PhD is not directly lyme related, per se, but treats brain dysfunction, including lyme brain fog/fatigue etc... Its true that delta waves are usually found in deep sleep, but apparently people with abnormal situations like infection or injury, can have abnormally high waking deltas, and abnormally low everything else. Curiously, this doctor has noticed a pattern on the brain map that she believes stems from infection, instead of injury. However, for whatever reason, I don't have that pattern. About of 80% of the patients with lyme or similar related infections display this pattern if I remember correctly.

So its really like I'm in a dreamlike state when I'm awake! I would expect that a number of us who have brain fog and fatigue would have similar wave abnormalities.

Now, as for the cause... she isn't sure if it is the lyme or something unrelated. Her "school" of though is as different from regular neurology as LLMDs are from ID docs. Now, that's not to say its necessarily a good difference. I haven't been in therapy long enough to know if this is working. The hypothesis is that its much, much easier to get brain damage then anyone else thinks. For instance, if you have a little bump on the noggin playing sports when you were a kid, its possible that's what caused everything from fatigue to ADD. Basically, head trauma is really, exceptionally easy to get. I had a bad electrocution a few years ago (when I had lyme, but undiagnosed) so one theory is that that is what's preventing me from getting rid of the neurological symptoms.

Trauma from injury or illness warps your brainwave patterns and causes all sorts of problems. These can be remedied with electrostimulation, which is basically attaching leads to your head and sending painless stimulation to reboot your brain into the "right" pattern. This is a painless procedure. I've had it done about 8 times thus far.

Unfortunately, the doctor says that my brain isn't really "listening" so far,so we're not really sure what that is indicative of.

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Thanks very much for the additional info, Blackstone. Sorry you are a bit of a guinea pig in this deal, but I find this most fascinating.

Did you tell Doc S. about the electrocution thing and the delta waves, etc.? Of course, the reason I ask is that Phosphorus is a classic homeopathic remedy for "ailments from electricity" (I'm sure there are others, too), and I just wondered if there might be some help in the homeopathy department. Well, you've probably already been there and done that, but thought I would mention it.

Also, I really had no idea that seemingly minor head injuries could turn out to be so significant.

Best of luck and I hope you will continue to update us in the future.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really understand your most current abx regimen. Alinia, clindamycin, and famcyclovir are not specific for Bb, and the little zithromax you're taking is certainly not in doses large enough to kill off significant amounts of Bb.

In fact famcyclovir is for herpes, and alinia is for protozoans.

I'm sorry you've not had good luck w/your therapy, but maybe you need a 2nd opinion from another LLMD.

I agree w/trying other forms of homeopathic treatments, i.e., rife if you're going to be off of abx for a while.

good luck.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Psano, it sounds like Bb may not be the only culprit here, and I'm glad Blackstone's docs are looking at other "etiologies".

By the way, Rife may be a great idea, but it does not fall into the realm of "homeopathy". Homeopathy is a system of medicine unto itself, and should never be confused with ANY other form of althernative therapies.

Just wanted to clear that up. It is a common error.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy,

I understand that other organisms may be a play here, but the point I was trying to make is that her current regimen was probably not reaching therapeutic levels for Bb.

I mean, 600mg every other day of zithromax just doesn't seem adequate to eradicate Bb.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement